Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 49)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
They're using it as a generic term. Go say what you said on the dvxuser forums and many professionals will tell you what it means. By HD DVD Apple means high definition resolution of any of the codecs supported by Blu-ray and HD-DVD players and also can be recorded on DVD discs.

SD DVD and HD DVD resolutions

Incorrect. These "HD DVD" discs from Apple will play in standalone HD DVD players. They do not play in Blu-ray players.

It seems pretty simple to me.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
The Samsungs support all the features on both formats (HD-DVD and Bluray 1.0).
But not Bluray 1.1

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
But not Bluray 1.1
Yeah, but I don't think any of the current standalones support BR1.1...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

PaperNotes
Aug 9, 2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Incorrect. These "HD DVD" discs from Apple will play in standalone HD DVD players. They do not play in Blu-ray players.

It seems pretty simple to me.
I have already said that HD-DVD 1.0 spec support is included and if you want your HD to work in another disc player you encode to plain old h.264 and then burn to whatever disc format you want. Quite a few Blu-ray players will play h.264 from a Blu-ray disc or DVD. When the Blu-ray spec is finalized Apple will release an update to support the full spec in DVD Studio Pro and that is also when they will add Blu-ray to Macs. When that patch is released the conversion and DVD standard feature will still read "SD DVD" and "HD DVD". It said that even before the HD-DVD 1.0 patch came out.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2007, 02:11 PM

I have already said that HD-DVD 1.0 spec support is included and if you want your HD to work in another disc player you encode to plain old h.264 and then burn to whatever disc format you want. Quite a few Blu-ray players will play h.264 from a Blu-ray disc or DVD. When the Blu-ray spec is finalized Apple will release an update to support the full spec in DVD Studio Pro and that is also when they will add Blu-ray to Macs. When that patch is released the conversion and DVD standard feature will still read "SD DVD" and "HD DVD". It said that even before the HD-DVD 1.0 patch came out.
Huh? The Bluray 1.0 spec is finalized.

You can't export directly to H.264 from DVD Studio Pro. How do you think those DVD Menus will work? If you're using Bluray, you simply can't use DVD Studio Pro right now. You have to avoid it and use Compressor, and then send it to another DVD authoring program that does support Bluray.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 11:26 AM

They need to try this with a 360 and HD add on. That is if it doesn't beak being exposed to air out of the box.

Gamernode: PlayStation 3 Video Game News - Can you kill a PS3? The answer might surprise you.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 11:35 AM

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2007, 11:49 AM

Is this the same Analog "I don't care about extra features" Sprinkles?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Is this the same Analog "I don't care about extra features" Sprinkles?
No, goMac - this is the Analog "I don't care about extra features unless they're on Blu-Ray" Sprinkles. There is a difference.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
No, goMac - this is the Analog "I don't care about extra features unless they're on Blu-Ray" Sprinkles. There is a difference.
You're both wrong this is the analogue SPRINKLES that still doesn't give a rats ass about that stuff but just point out to the HD crew that BR disks with the "advantages" of PIP and online silliness is coming. So that will be another point lost in the HD advantage side.

You may now argue on tiny specifics and backwards compatibility etc...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
You're both wrong this is the analogue SPRINKLES that still doesn't give a rats ass about that stuff but just point out to the HD crew that BR disks with the "advantages" of PIP and online silliness is coming. So that will be another point lost in the HD advantage side.

You may now argue on tiny specifics and backwards compatibility etc...
Bluray is finally catching up to HD-DVD in features? But I thought Bluray was futureproof(TM)?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2007, 10:01 PM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 13, 2007, 10:05 PM

That must be the only way they can sell them.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2007, 10:37 PM

I find it hilarious how vicious both camps can get about essentially the exact same thing. For the most part, most consumers don't watch the features. They just want the movie. Granted, BR can theoretically encode the movies at a higher bitrate, and HD-DVD seems to have more "that's cool" features, but in the end, it's all about the movies the format offers and the price of the players. Those two items are what's making this a war. BR has the movies, HD-DVD has the cheap players.

I'm leaning Blu-ray because of the wider movie selection. Once [if] Universal falls, the war will be over.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I actually saw a pretty good deal on the 360 today. I forget where it was, but it was an Elite, HD-DVD player, remote control, and 6 HD-DVD's for $600.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 13, 2007, 11:30 PM

I imagine you're referring to the Amazon deal, although 5 of those movies are the usual ones you send away for. And actually, it's not that great of a deal compared to the PS3.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2007, 02:17 AM

Onkyo HD DVD player details - DV-HD805

HDMI 1.3a with Deep Colour
24p
HD Audio
1080p upscaling, with Silicon Optix HQV Reon VX

Fall 2007, $899

It's nice to see a higher end brand join the ranks, but I'm not really interested in paying $899 for a player.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I imagine you're referring to the Amazon deal, although 5 of those movies are the usual ones you send away for. And actually, it's not that great of a deal compared to the PS3.
Getting a bigger hard drive than the PS3, with a remote and six movies? Sounds like a better deal to me... If I didn't just buy a 360 a few days ago I might have gone for that deal.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2007, 07:47 AM

The PS3 is $100 cheaper than this bundle and you still get 5 movies and built-in wireless.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 09:23 AM

Xbox 360 actually has games worth playing, too (Bioshock demo is kicking serious ass).

In other news, BSG HD DVD has apparently been confirmed for a December 6th release. I say apparently because right now it's on a blog and not direct from Universal. But here's the info:

Originally Posted by http://hddvdformat.blogspot.com/2007/08/battlestar-galactica-season-one-on-hd.html
'Battlestar Galactica: Season One' On HD DVD, December 4

Disappointed and anxious that there was still no news about Battlestar Galactica (2004): Season One HD DVD which was heavily rumored to be released in September?

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has now confirmed that the Battlestar Galactica (2004): Season One will be available on 6-disc HD DVD set from December 4. The high-definition version of this TV series is available to own only on HD DVD. It is a non-combo HD DVD set and has a suggested price tag of $99.98 SRP.

Each episode of the series will be presented in 1080p High Definition Widescreen 1.78:1 video with Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (English) and Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 (English) audio options. Only English [SDH] and French subtitle options are included.

A breakdown of the bonus materials on each disc:

Disc One:

* Encyclopedia Galactica - An interactive guide including ships, characters, colonies and flight training manual (HD DVD-Exclusive)
* Picture in Picture - Behind the Scenes of the Mini Series (HD DVD-Exclusive)
* Feature Commentary with Director Michael Rymer and Executive Producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore
* Deleted Scenes - Mini Series
* Sketches and Art
* From Miniseries to Series
* Change Is Good, Now They're Babes
* The Cylon Centurion
* Future/Past Technology
* The Doctor Is Out (Of His Mind)
* Production
* Visual Effects
* Epilogue

Disc Two:

* Encyclopedia Galactica - An interactive guide including ships, characters, colonies and flight training manual (HD DVD-Exclusive)
* Picture in Picture - Behind the Scenes of the Mini Series (HD DVD-Exclusive)
* Deleted Scenes
* Feature Commentary with Director Michael Rymer and Executive Producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore
* Pilot Commentary with Director Michael Rymer and Executive Producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore

Disc Three:

* Deleted Scenes
* Episode 103 "Bastille Day" Commentary with Ronald D. Moore and David Eick
* Episode 104 "Act of Contrition" Commentary with Ronald D. Moore and David Eick

Disc Four:

* Deleted Scenes
* Episode 105 "You Can't Go Home Again" Commentary with Ronald D. Moore and David Eick

Disc Five:

* Deleted Scenes
* Episode 109 "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down" Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore
* Episode 110 "The Hand of God" Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore

Disc Six:

* Deleted Scenes
* Episode 111 "Colonial Day" Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore
* Episode 112 "Kobol's Last Gleaming" Pt 1 Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore
* Episode 113 "Kobol's Last Gleaming" Pt. 2 Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore
MSRP of $99, expected to be $69 or so street. Can't wait for this one!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2007, 09:30 AM

Xbox 360 actually has games worth playing, too (Bioshock demo is kicking serious ass).
Oh, I agree that the 360 has better games at the moment (and for the foreseeable future). I'm just saying that the 360 deal mentioned isn't really that fantastic.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 09:37 AM

Oh, I agree that the 360 has better games at the moment (and for the foreseeable future). I'm just saying that the 360 deal mentioned isn't really that fantastic.
I agree. I don't really think of the 5 free movies being that great of an offer on either side, since pretty much all the movies suck.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 11:26 AM

In other news, BSG HD DVD has apparently been confirmed for a December 6th release. I say apparently because right now it's on a blog and not direct from Universal. But here's the info:

MSRP of $99, expected to be $69 or so street. Can't wait for this one!
Um, the blog is missing some episodes for that list. I'm going to assume they're actually included because of some insanity in that post such as Disc 4 only having one episode on it.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 01:04 PM

It only posted special features - all episodes are obviously included.

PaperNotes
Aug 14, 2007, 02:29 PM

300 on Blu-ray has outsold the HD-DVD version by two to one.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33362/113/

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 02:48 PM

Welcome to page 48. Please try and keep up.

And that's a horribly biased article with inaccurate information.

PaperNotes
Aug 14, 2007, 02:58 PM

And that's a horribly biased article with inaccurate information.
Where is the bias and inaccuracy?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 04:31 PM

Warner said the film was the fastest-selling high definition disc, selling 250,000 copies in one week across both formats. Home Media reports that number was around 165,000 for Blu-ray and 85,000 for HD DVD.
Ummm, sounds rather unbiased to me. Warner [who really doesn't have much to gain from saying one format sold over another] basically indicated that more Blu-ray is dominating by a 2 to 1 ratio.

I find it significant, but still, it's a small number of HD copies.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 06:31 PM

Where is the bias and inaccuracy?
Bias:

Originally Posted by article
However, the lower sales for HD DVD may be more of a comment on the entire format and not just a single title. Even at such an inferior sales count compared to Blu-ray, 300 was the top selling HD DVD movie for the first week in August.
Inaccuracy:

Originally Posted by article
Blockbuster and Target have also both announced exclusive Blu-ray plans in retail outlets, causing an even bigger struggle for HD DVD.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2007, 07:18 PM

You could argue bias I suppose but neither statement is inaccurate.

Target has announced exclusivity of blu-ray standalone sales in their stores and online only lists the add-on drive for Xbox360. - Fact

Blockbuster has announced exclusivity of Blu-ray for any future releases. - Fact.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Target has announced exclusivity of blu-ray standalone sales in their stores and online only lists the add-on drive for Xbox360. - Fact
Incorrect, the deal was not exclusive.

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Blockbuster has announced exclusivity of Blu-ray for any future releases. - Fact.
Incorrect, Blockbuster will continue to make new HD DVD releases available where they currently offer HD DVD.

I didn't find the article bias, but Aristotles is off the mark here.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2007, 08:06 PM

Target announced Sony bought an endcap at their store - nothing more. They just don't carry Toshiba players...yet. They have announced NO exclusive deals with Sony.

I thought we were past this already?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2007, 11:07 AM

I don't understand the people who argue that the extra space on BR is useless for games. While it's certainly true that it's possible to do a lot with regular dual-layer DVD, we're already getting developers talking about how it's difficult to fit their games on a single DVD, and this generation is just beginning. At this point the extra space may not be a *requirement* but it can certainly be used for a lot of cool stuff.

Eh, this sounds like another one of those meaningless press releases intended to make things sound good for one side or the other. Without numbers about what sales were like before and what they are now, seeing "an increase" means little. And since the only number mentioned is 15,000 for South Africa (presumably for all HD titles sold) you can only assume that the others are even less impressive.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 11:12 AM

After seeing how much you can fit onto Final Fantasy X, I wasn't convinced you needed FIFTY GIG of space either. Maybe I was wrong

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 11:20 AM

I don't understand the people who argue that the extra space on BR is useless for games. While it's certainly true that it's possible to do a lot with regular dual-layer DVD, we're already getting developers talking about how it's difficult to fit their games on a single DVD, and this generation is just beginning. At this point the extra space may not be a *requirement* but it can certainly be used for a lot of cool stuff.
I feel that developers probably aren't using the additional space for more audio, they're probably just lowering the compression. Which... for a game, I don't know if lossless audio matters very much.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 12:10 PM

For Heavenly Sword they use the space for multiple language audio, as in the demo. Since PS3 games are region free you can now make a game the same way you would a movie with multiple languages tracks, not to mention additional levels and add-ons if you like.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 12:19 PM

That's hilarious. PS3 games are region-free but Blu-Ray isn't.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2007, 12:25 PM

Yes, and Xbox 360 games are not region free as a rule (although some are), and yet HD-DVD movies are region free. Weird, huh?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 12:27 PM

What a bunch of retards.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 12:51 PM

Eh, this sounds like another one of those meaningless press releases intended to make things sound good for one side or the other.
It is true and strange because BR doesn't need it. They have been winning by a landslide for 9 months.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 01:38 PM

They better hit those $99 players fast to beat BR.

Electronista | Blu-Ray movies outsell HD DVD 2:1 in US

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
They better hit those $99 players fast to beat BR.

Electronista | Blu-Ray movies outsell HD DVD 2:1 in US
Fanboy!! How dare you use undeniable statistics!!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 02:57 PM

This anyone can agree sounds about right when you consider how few defects or DOA's have been mentioned on the net. I remember hearing about ONE power supply blowing and sony fixing it in under a week for free.

Only 0.2% of PS3s are faulty according to Sony - PS3 Fanboy

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2007, 12:58 AM

Sigh, nearing 50 pages. I was really hoping one format would be dead by now. At this rate, I won't be buying until holiday season 08.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 01:05 AM

I feel the movie 300 has shown that Blu-ray is winning.

It was a popular movie for the geeks out there that own such HD hardware. It was released at the same time on both formats... and the Blu-ray outsold HD-DVD by over 2:1.

IMHO, both formats are hurting, but once looks more like a clear winner, it's going to be a landslide.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Teronzhul View Post
Sigh, nearing 50 pages. I was really hoping one format would be dead by now. At this rate, I won't be buying until holiday season 08.
IMHO, there are people here that have purchased a system, and now refuse to accept that their HD movie format may not win the battle/war.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 02:15 AM

It gets worse for HD.

Remember that study a few posts ago that said only 40% of PS3 owners know about blu-ray?

"The average survey respondent owns 4.5 Blu-ray movies and 119 DVDs.
72% of respondents purchased at least 1 Blu-ray movie since acquiring a PS3.
87% of respondents intend to purchase at least one Blu-ray movie in the next 12 months."

Blu-ray outsells HD DVD 2:1; 72% of PS3 owners own Blu-ray movie - PS3 Fanboy

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2007, 02:28 AM

Yeah, I was going to post that. If I had to guess as to the reason for the difference it would probably be that the people likely to respond to a Sony survey are a lot more likely to be aware of things like BR. Clearly, these numbers can't apply to all PS3 owners (for example, if all PS3 owners really did own 4.5 BR movies, BR would be selling way better than it already is.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 07:13 AM

Exactly. 1.3 million sales TOTAL means that only 1/4 of PS3 owners have a BD movie - and that's only if each owner has only one movie and no more than that.

It's probably more like 25-30% of PS3 owners own one BD (and it's probably Talladega Nights).

Forum Links
Forum Rules