Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying Applecare nearly one year into ownership

Buying Applecare nearly one year into ownership
99RedSi
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 10:15 AM

I'm considering a 15" PB and I can get more for my money now *if* I can buy Applecare 10-11 months from my date of purchase, which will probably be Feb/March this year.

I'm buying with an education discount through my University and they have a stipulation where you can only buy one major Apple system (PowerMac, Powerbook, iBook, iMac, etc) one time per calendar year.

How does it work when you want to purchase the Applecare, 3-year coverage 10 months after the initial Powerbook purchase? Are you guaranteed the price from an education discount? Or is it always the full retail price? ($349). My education price for Applecare is $239.

Help! This is a big deciding factor for me .

RayK
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 10:31 AM

I just bought a 15" AL at an Apple Store and the guy I bought it from said that as long as I buy it within a year of purchase I can get it and I will get it with an education discount. That's what I know. Hope the bes of luck to you.
Ray

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2004, 10:44 AM

I'm not sure about the education pricing issue...but I do know you CAN purchase the Apple Care within 1 year of the date of purchase...although no matter when you buy it, it will always cover 3 years from the date you purchased the computer...not the warranty.

99RedSi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 01:53 PM

How do you actually aquire it? Does Apple give you the paperwork for it when you buy the Powerbook itself?

What's the process?

Thanks

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 02:04 PM

You can register for AppleCare via web, phone or mail. If you're at the AppleStore, just purchase it there. You'll get a box with a registration card that you MUST mail in to actually have AppleCare. You provide your computer's serial number and purchase date. Apple keeps this info in their database along with your name etc. They mail you a letter confirming that your computer has been registered.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 10:30 AM

What if you were entitled to the ed discount when you bought the computer, but now aren't? COuld you legitimately get the applecare at the reduced price?

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 12:07 PM

Dont get it - it is a rip off. Most stuff that will go wrong is classed as wear and tear and is not covered.

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by MusicalTone:
Dont get it - it is a rip off. Most stuff that will go wrong is classed as wear and tear and is not covered.
Yeah, except other costly problems like your logic board, screen damage, battery, etc.

My TiBook has had to have it's logic board changed 2 within the last year. I don't even want to know how much that would have cost out of warranty.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2004, 03:57 PM

Take a look at:

http://www.safeware.com

yin7yang64
Jan 23, 2004, 05:01 PM

Hey, I found AppleCare quite useful on my last PowerBook. When my display went bad, the policy paid for itself. And, I also waited to buy in the last couple months of my 15" AlBook's one-year coverage.

One thing, though, I read something on line about AppleCare not being applicable in Florida--something about the state laws. Don't know where you're located, but you may want to check with Apple to make absolutely certain coverage applies in your state (or country).

PowerTower Fan
Jan 23, 2004, 05:14 PM

I work at a college bookstore. Yes you can buy Applecare at the education price of $239 up to 1 year from the computer purchase, as long as you're still currently a student. Once you buy it, just put in the cd and follow the instructions. There's nothing different about how to get Applecare on the edu. discount, just the price.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 24, 2004, 03:17 PM

Most college bookstores don't check that you're enrolled before they sell you stuff, even at discount.

AppleCare is totally worth it, because one single repair, no matter how minor, costs more than AppleCare. On a laptop, which suffers abuses foreign to a desktop machine, stuff just breaks a lot more often.

You don't need to put in the CD to enroll in AppleCare, just fill out the online form or the postcard and you're set.

SafeWare is a good complement to AppleCare, since it covers the things AppleCare doesn't (note that SafeWare explicitly does NOT cover damages covered under warranty!!).

tooki

scoot
Jan 26, 2004, 11:19 PM

If you purchase the AppleCare with the computer at an Apple retail store, it will be automatically enrolled / registered.

If you purchase it over the phone from Apple tech support later, it will be automatically enrolled.

If you do decide to buy later, make sure you do so within the first year. Don't wait until the last minute and miss the deadline.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by 99RedSi:
I'm considering a 15" PB and I can get more for my money now *if* I can buy Applecare 10-11 months from my date of purchase, which will probably be Feb/March this year.

I'm buying with an education discount through my University and they have a stipulation where you can only buy one major Apple system (PowerMac, Powerbook, iBook, iMac, etc) one time per calendar year.

How does it work when you want to purchase the Applecare, 3-year coverage 10 months after the initial Powerbook purchase? Are you guaranteed the price from an education discount? Or is it always the full retail price? ($349). My education price for Applecare is $239.

Help! This is a big deciding factor for me .
If you are qualified for the educational discount, you will get it. I bought mine, (not educational discount) for 265 at buy.com before christmas, so you certainly do not have to pay the $300+ retail price, just look for other online retails.

If you have other apple accessories like airport card, airport base station or LCD display when you bought it with the powerbook, you would get replacement if they are broken within the applecare coverage.

I got 3 base stations and 1 airport card replaced without fee already.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 08:39 PM

"From Safeware

What are some of the features and benefits of this policy:

Comprehensive coverage, including:
- Accidental Damage
- Theft
- Power surge and lightning regardless of source
- Vandalism
- Water damage
- Natural disasters

30-day trial period - (Not available in Texas)

Complete repair or replacement of computer system with no deduction for depreciation

Optional deductibles

Coverage at home, in the office or in transit

Replaces preinstalled software

What types of losses are not covered?

This policy protects in so many ways, but it does not cover these major losses:

Wear and tear, gradual deterioration, depreciation, or original defects

Loss of income or interruption of business

Any preinstalled data or media which cannot be replaced with other of like kind or quality on the current retail market

Mechanical breakdown or faulty construction

Loss or damage from fraudulent, dishonest or criminal acts by the owner or user

Systems rented or leased to others"

So it would appear that if the hard drive breaks, that is mechanical failure and not covered?

I'm thinking that if something breaks, it is not because of vandalism or power surges. It is because it wore out or broke.

Does Applecare's policy look similar to Safeware? I got the call today from Apple and have a few days to decide on my 12" PB.

Anyone ever been successful at talking down the price?

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 11:41 PM

Ah yes, I believe you and I got our 12-n PBs right around the same time. Might have been on the same plane...

Look on cnet.com's shopper comparison service. I looked today and there were prices in the $260s, I belive. That's the route I'm going to go, I believe. It's a lot better than $349. That said, I am getting the applecare to add to myh Safeway Insurance policy. It's quite a bit of cash, but the laptop cost about 2,000 bucks -- and I can foresee something happening in the next 2 years.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 01:39 AM

Applecare = good.

Apple laptops are notorious expensive to fix. Take the hurt because in the longrun it is worth it.

Ring apple and find out a price to change the LCD. Or the logic board.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 02:26 AM

AppleCare for me was actually worth well over $9000!

I had 2 logic boards replaced, 6 optical drives, 2 power adapters, and 2 hard drives. (Here's the quotes for various parts.)

I ended up getting a new computer, which was worth about $2999.

I went from:
400 MHz/20GB HD/384MB RAM/CD-DVD

To:
1 GHz/60GB HD/512MB RAM/SuperDrive

Worth EVERY PENNY!

Edit: Oh yeah, you can definately get the education discount on AppleCare later. It's what I did a couple days after Apple sent me the new computer. You can do it as long as it's within one year of purchase.

Oh, and just so you know, AppleCare cannot be renewed!

macross
Jan 28, 2004, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:
"From Safeware

What are some of the features and benefits of this policy:

Comprehensive coverage, including:
- Accidental Damage
- Theft
- Power surge and lightning regardless of source
- Vandalism
- Water damage
- Natural disasters

30-day trial period - (Not available in Texas)
Wait, you're telling me applecare covers theft? I would imagine everyone would totally be abusing this if they did cover theft.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 03:11 AM

The above relates to Safeware, not Applecare.

Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by MusicalTone:
It's more than payed for itself on the two computers I bought it for. An iMac, and a G4 Tower.

(multiple bad logic boards on each, and once, a problem that fried a graphics card, the motherboard, and the attached LCD on the tower)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2004, 09:22 AM

If you get a really nice rep at the Apple Store, sometimes they'll fudge the date a little bit if you're only a week or so past the one-year mark. I got really lucky with this once, when my TiBook's power cord broke off inside the machine just over a year after I bought it. Buying AppleCare turned out to be less expensive than the fix would have been without it, and so it worked out great.

I just ordered a new G5, and you can bet I got AppleCare on that thing. It's probably better for laptops, though, what with all the added wear on those machines.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Ω
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 09:32 AM

I will try and make it simple:

BUY APPLECARE FOR LAPTOPS

The peace of mind alone is worth it!!!
( Last edited by _?_; Jan 28, 2004 at 06:00 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by _?_:
The piece of mind alone is worth it!!!
What? I get a piece of mind to go with the AppleCare and it's included in the price? Do you think I might even get two pieces? Great. I'm getting it.

j/k

I can only recommend AppleCare for any Mac that's expensive and tedious to take apart, like iBooks or PowerBooks. Especially if you somehow manage to get it with the edu discount.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the tip bbales! I think I do remember you getting yours when I did. I ordered just after the keynote and of course the posts of "when will mine show up" were non-stop like anything Apple.

The best price I found was herehere

In my area it costs $4 to ship with no taxes.

What is to stop someone from purchasing from a 3rd party after your one year date? When you register, might Apple say, sorry, too late!

I may call that Apple rep back and tell him the price and ask this question.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
What? I get a piece of mind to go with the AppleCare and it's included in the price? Do you think I might even get two pieces? Great. I'm getting it.

j/k
Are you changing my posts so you can make fun of me?

"I never had sexual relations with...."

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 10:19 AM

KCmac-- thanks for the tip! That is an excellent price. My AppleCare is currently winging its way here -- also got a really good price. BY the time I pay shipping, I'll probably be right around what you paid -- got the ed pricing.

I just know I'll sleep better when it's actually registered -- even though I actually have until 2/10 before the one-year warranty expires.

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2004, 11:59 AM

I'm going against the grain on this one. Many credit cards automatically double the original manufacturer's warranty. So, in essence, it becomes a 2 year warranty for free vs. ~$300 for 3 years total. Granted, working through your credit card company for such service is more of a hassle, I nonetheless cannot justify that much money for one extra year.

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2004, 03:22 PM

I don't have Applecare yet for my PB but I plan on it
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2004, 03:52 PM

AppleCare also gives you free phone software support on all iApps and OSX.

Not that many here would need it, but it's a good selling point for new users.

I've purchased AppleCare for every Mac I've purchased (when it's been available). It's paid for itself three times over (DP800 G4 had practically its entire innards replaced; iBook 700 with a failed logic board; AirPort BS replaced twice).

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 05:37 PM

Just purchased mine from the site link I noted above. Since my deadline is February 12, I didn't want to take too many chances with free shipping. I paid for 3 day select (includes insurance) for $13.

My total was $277 vs. $349 (12" PB) at the Apple Store.

The Apple rep couldn't believe the price so I emailed him the site while we were on the phone together. The only thing he could do for me was discount the price if we had a student or teacher in the house. No luck there.

Fothb
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2004, 08:29 PM

What is on the AppleCare CD besides "TechTool Deluxe"? Also, on Micromat's TechTool Deluxe page it lists the differences between the "Deluxe" and "Pro" versions (AppleCare owners can upgrade to "Pro" for $50). One of the differences listed is OS X compatibility!!! Does that mean that the software that comes with AppleCare is Classic only, or has Micromat just not gotten around to updating their site?

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 10:17 AM

KCmac -- great price. Like you, I'm worried about the deadline so I paid for expedited shipping as well. My appleCare arrives today (I think) and it's getting registered tonight.

I've bought AppleCare for this laptop (my first new one) and for my most recent desktop (now more than 3 years old). It's expensive, I know, but just one expensive problem means it's paid for. I had issues with my desktop after upgrading to 10.1 two years ago and I think I was on the phone with them at one point for more than an hour. It was some bizarre problem (and long before I knew about these forums) that would have taken me much, much longer to figure out on my own.

Forum Links
Forum Rules