Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Mac User

New Mac User
CaptianScooby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2004, 07:47 AM

Hi I just signed up on the forums about 10 minutes ago. I am here b/c after being a PC user for over 10 yrs. I am fed up with everything.
Granted I do think I will miss some of my software ... but I am sure Mac has stuff to replace it.

I have a few questions :

1. Is .Mac worth spending the money? I mainly need Virex
2. Are those keyboard covers really all they say they are in the store?
3. Do you recommend any books on Panther ? Or should I just poke around the forums?

I will keep you updated, I am planning on buying a 15" pbook(tryin the lingo) this afternoon. I will post later and tell you how it went.

Thanks

ryju
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2004, 08:42 AM

You don't really need Virex, there are no known viruses for the Mac OS. Other than that if the other features are important to you then it probably is worth it (not for me though).

Oh my yes! They prevent any oils from your fingers or other sources from wiping off on the screen when the 'book is closed.

3. Do you recommend any books on Panther ? Or should I just poke around the forums?
The free method is to poke around the forums, however I think the best book out there is Panther: The Missing Manual

Good luck!

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by CaptianScooby:
Hi I just signed up on the forums about 10 minutes ago. I am here b/c after being a PC user for over 10 yrs. I am fed up with everything.
Granted I do think I will miss some of my software ... but I am sure Mac has stuff to replace it.

I have a few questions :

I will keep you updated, I am planning on buying a 15" pbook(tryin the lingo) this afternoon. I will post later and tell you how it went.

Thanks
First off, welcome!

1. If all you are excited about is Virex, then don't do it. You can always buy just a virus program for much cheaper. If the iPhoto web exportation and syncing your address book across computers also sound great, then maybe. Personally, I don't think it is worth the money unless you use .Sync a lot.

2. It's usually good to get a keyboard cover for a powerbook just because they are so thin that the keys can press into the LCD when the computer is closed.

3. I think you will find the interface intuitive enough that you won't need to shell out money for a book. Just hang around these forums and look through MacOSXHints.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 12:33 PM

I have a buddy that constantly scans his mac for viruses... Wastes tonned of time doing it.... in 3 years he has encountered 0 viruses.

have used Macs for over 14 years, never encountered a virus.

nuff said.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by CaptianScooby:
I have a few questions :

1. .Mac is mainly useful for synchronization (Safari bookmarks, contacts, etc.) and for posting content online, like iCal calendars or photo albums from iPhoto. Get .Mac if you want those; otherwise, you can just get the AV software by itself for less.

2. I find that having some kind of protective layer is a good idea, if just to keep the screen a bit cleaner for day-to-day use. You might even be able to get away with an 8.5x11" sheet of paper, although you'd probably need to fold it to get it to cover the keyboard.

3. The Missing Manual book suggested earlier is a good idea.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2004, 12:49 PM

Ahem.

THE KEYBOARD DOES NOT TOUCH THE SCREEN ON THE ALUMINUM POWERBOOKS!

The people who keep talking about oils rubbing off (where the hell did that come from? it used to be screen marks from the keys, but since some moron posted about "oils" a couple days ago, everybody seems to have picked up on it) apparently have stock in screen-protectors.

You don't need them.

-s*

scoot
Aug 7, 2004, 04:42 PM

Er, no. My 17" still touches keyboard to screen. It's not quite as pronounced as with the Ti models, but it does still occur. I suspect the 15" and 12" many be better behaved.

skelotar
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2004, 05:33 PM

3. Better than buying those books, why don't you just go to Barnes & Noble, sit in the starbucks cafe with your new 15" pbook and read through all the books you want for free..

I've been doing this for ages and have learned PHP, SQL and Flash for free biatch!

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2004, 08:31 PM

This is what I use for my Powerbook screen.

http://www.purplemoo.com

CaptianScooby  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2004, 11:46 PM

Well I am writing from my 15 inch powerbook using my airport express so i can be lazy and stay on the couch. It better than i ever imagined. I love it. Why did I ever use windows for so long. The only hard part was signing the check at the store but it was well worth it.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 12:28 AM

how hot does the 15 inch get on the bottom?
iamwhor3hay

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 12:47 AM

Welcome!

I have .mac and I love it. You are paying for the integration and ease of use.

As far as viruses, I used to run Virex on OS 9 but it never found any viruses. Apparently there are no viruses for OS X, but that could change and probably will.

I use a keyboard protector thingy. I think that depending on manufacturing tolerances, some Powerbook keyboards probably rub screens when closed.

Congrats on the new Mac!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Forum Links
Forum Rules