Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How does OS 9 in OS X work

How does OS 9 in OS X work
hubert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2004, 11:19 PM

my friend berny told me its not possible to install OS 9 in OS X but i dont believe him because he is a liar. can you tell me how to do it because i put the cd in my compuper and it wont work

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2004, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by hubert:
my friend berny told me its not possible to install OS 9 in OS X but i dont believe him because he is a liar. can you tell me how to do it because i put the cd in my compuper and it wont work
Simply copy a working OS 9 system folder onto your Mac OS X HD, and then make sure the OS 9 system folder is blessed.

That's all there really is to it.

If you want to actually run a Mac OS 9 installer program, you can do this, but you cannot boot from an OS 9 CD on a new Mac.

hubert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2004, 11:53 PM

no i cannot install from the cd installer because it opens up classic and says i dont have 9 installed. i tried copying the system folder into the HD and when i tried to open classic it told me that "the system software on the startup disk only funcions on the original media, not if copied to another drive."

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by hubert:
no i cannot install from the cd installer because it opens up classic and says i dont have 9 installed. i tried copying the system folder into the HD and when i tried to open classic it told me that "the system software on the startup disk only funcions on the original media, not if copied to another drive."
As I said, you need to copy a WORKING OS 9 system folder from elsewhere onto your HD. then make sure it is blessed.

The system folder on the CD is not a full working OS 9 system folder. It is for running the installer only.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2004, 12:07 AM

Boot from your OS9 CD by holding down the C key when you start up with the CD in the CD tray. If you have a little bit older machine, you should be able to boot into OS9, so just boot from the CD and follow the instructions for installation of the OS. After that, you can use Startup Disk in the Control Preferences to reboot back into OSX.

Granted, I'm not sure it will work for your setup, but I was able to do something like that when I recently did a clean install of both systems on my two year old PowerBook.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

hubert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 12:14 AM

i tried holding c and it wouldnt boot off of the cd. then i tried holding option and the cd wouldnt show up at the startup screen

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2004, 12:37 AM

please tell us what hardware you are running, and what install/restore discs you have....it'll make it easier for someone to tell you how to get your "classic" up and running.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 12:43 AM

Couldn't you just set the Classic folder to the system folder on the OS 9 install CD in the Classic preference pane, then start from that and run the OS 9 installer?

There really ought to be a Classic.pkg as part of the OS X install packages...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

hubert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 12:48 AM

i have a 17" powerbook 1.33 that im borrowing from my cousin. my real computer is a macintosh performa

scoot
Aug 9, 2004, 02:35 AM

You have two options:

1. As said previously, copy a working system folder (and apps-os9 folder).
2. Install OS 9 by running the " Install Applications & Classic Support" from the DVD that shipped with the Powerbook. This is the equivalent of copying a working system - it copies a disk image containing OS 9 system folder and apps.

scoot
Aug 9, 2004, 02:39 AM

I forgot to mention...
The restore DVD may have "Software Restore" rather than "Install Applications and Classic Support". Same thing, different name.
You cannot install OS 9 from a Mac OS 9 install CD on this machine. The CD won't boot it, and neither would the resulting installed system even if you could get it installed.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2004, 05:01 AM

OS 9 software runs in the Classic environment in OS X. All you need is to copy a valid System Folder from another Mac. Once you do that, the first OS 9 application you launch (per log-in) will cause Classic to start. OS 9 applications run alongside native applications, with a high degree of compatibility (as compared to running them directly in OS 9 normally). As others have said, new Macs cannot boot into OS 9. If you don't have access to a valid System Folder, you'll find a Classic installer on the Hardware Test CD.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Buck_W
Senior User
Aug 9, 2004, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
As I said, you need to copy a WORKING OS 9 system folder from elsewhere onto your HD. then make sure it is blessed.
What you mean by, "make sure it is blessed"?

Thanks
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

absmiths
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Buck_W:
What you mean by, "make sure it is blessed"?

Thanks
That is ancient Mac terminology for "make sure the OS recognizes it as the system folder." Just naming it System Folder isn't good enough sometimes. You will know it is blessed if the folder icon changes to the OS 9 icon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules