Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Value in upgrading from 10.3 to 10.4?

Value in upgrading from 10.3 to 10.4?
Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 07:55 PM

All,

I have just bought a new HD for my 12" PowerBook (1.0 GHz) as the one I have is full. Since I will be doing a clean install on the new drive anyway, this seems like a good time to think about upgrading to Mac OS X v10.4. I have a friend who works for Apple who can probably get me a discount on the software. So, what do you consider the biggest benefits of the upgrade?

Thanks.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2005, 08:20 PM

stability
speed
spotlight
dashboard
automator
the dictionary
annoying the spaz
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2005, 08:30 PM

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 08:46 PM

You're computer will suddenly be worth an additional $129!

FisherKing has a good list. I don't use Automator but everything else is good. I really like Mail and AddressBook better in Tiger as well.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 09:05 PM

Spotlight alone makes it worth it.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Fyre4ce  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the website.

I was thinking more like, having used both operating systems, do you think it's worth it to upgrade? I know about Dashboard but if I'll probably never use it, then it doesn't matter. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't take more features to necessarily mean a better operating system. Features consume system resources, of which my machine does not have excess. I also don't want to pay for features I won't use. I'm not asking anyone to tell me if I would like Tiger or would find it more useful, but rather to give their opinion on whether they felt it was really worthwhile to upgrade.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 12:30 AM

Your system resources are better than mine.

Tiger dot 3 is solid. Sounds like dot 4 is almost out. If you can get it for a discount, that makes the purchase even easier. I use Spotlight and the cool new dictionary regularly. It's hard to really mention all of the little things because like most apple stuff, you just sort of happen onto things that they never mention as new features. And after using Tiger for so long now, I can't really say what made me like Panther. It just all kind of goes together in one continuous advancement of OS X. Sometimes one step back but most always two steps forward.

I think most of us around here are early adopters so you may be asking the wrong crowd. I always upgrade as soon as it is possible. Never regretted it but I don't have system critical apps either. I use the normal stuff.

poulh
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2005, 11:59 AM

My dad has the same computer at home, but is still running Panther. I notice significant differences in the polish of the OS on my tiger machine. The speed of the finder (this is the biggest), cool mail features (moving photos to iPhoto, the slideshow) are my favorites.

although if you've waited this long, you may want to wait for 10.5
12" Aluminum Powerbook
1.5Ghz G4 | 512Mb Ram | GeForce FX Go5200

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 10:00 PM

If money is short, and you have 512mb of ram or less, I found that adding 1G makes the system fly. I would consider that over Tiger. If you have over 768mb, and if can afford it, why not buy an external firewire/USB2 enclosure for the old HD, OWC has them, get their brand not macally, so you can try both systems out and have a backup for $38.99.

BTW, I do not have any personal or financial interest in OWC, just a great company

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ting/ME25AUFW/

Helmling
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 10:09 PM

I got Tiger at the educator discount price. It's strange, I'm happy with it and I'm glad I have it, but I really don't think it was worth even the discounted price. Does that make any sense?

It was a rip-off, but I'm glad I got ripped off?!?

Frankly, Spotlight and Dashboard are really cool features, but I don't use either enough to make me want to recommend putting down the cash for the upgrade. Personally, though, I'm glad I've got 10.4.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
stability
speed
spotlight
dashboard
automator
the dictionary
Stable, but more bugs than X.3.9 - Airport problems alone made me downgrade again until its fixed

yes, it is faster if you have enough RAM

Spotlight

I disabled dashboard, waste of resources. Eyecandy was nice but I didn't need it.

I don't use automator very often. But good if you do.

I have a dictionary built in to Firefox

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Fyre4ce  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel
If money is short, and you have 512mb of ram or less, I found that adding 1G makes the system fly. I would consider that over Tiger. If you have over 768mb, and if can afford it, why not buy an external firewire/USB2 enclosure for the old HD, OWC has them, get their brand not macally, so you can try both systems out and have a backup for $38.99.

BTW, I do not have any personal or financial interest in OWC, just a great company

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ting/ME25AUFW/
I have 768 MB. My machine has 256 MB built-in and one slot, so I'd have to get rid of the 512 MB module in there and spring for a 1 GB, which is about $200.

I already bought an external enclosure for my existing internal HD. (Without it, I wouldn't have any way to copy my files over). I could try both systems out, but I think I'd rather choose one and run with it. If I've already spent the money, I'll most likely just use Tiger anyway.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Stable, but more bugs than X.3.9 - Airport problems alone made me downgrade again until its fixed

yes, it is faster if you have enough RAM

Spotlight

I disabled dashboard, waste of resources. Eyecandy was nice but I didn't need it.

I don't use automator very often. But good if you do.

I have a dictionary built in to Firefox

interesting...no real bugs here (and i run about a dozen apps, and some haxies).
not a single kernal panic since 10.4, and only one crash that locked my powerbook (firewire drive crashed).

10.3.9 was great, but tiger is faster, leaner and meaner...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 07:27 PM

I barely ever use Spotlight, and Dashboard is more of a toy than anything else.

I do really like the built-in image slideshow feature though.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 10:22 PM

interesting...no real bugs here (and i run about a dozen apps, and some haxies).
not a single kernal panic since 10.4, and only one crash that locked my powerbook (firewire drive crashed).
I didn't say anything about kernal panics or crashes, just bugs. Things not working as they should.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
I didn't say anything about kernal panics or crashes, just bugs. Things not working as they should.

captain OBVIOUS?

"interesting... no real bugs here (and i run about a dozen apps, and some haxies)."

seriously, tho...what bugs are you experiencing?

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005, 04:58 AM

I could list 10-20 bugs in Tiger that annoy me and haven't been fixed yet. However, the increased speed and features of Tiger more than make up for the reliability of 10.3.9.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005, 11:59 AM

I have to respond to this one. Tiger is definitely worth upgrading. For 99.9% of people, it works perfectly. Tiger however, hasn't been the best for me though. I'm unlucky I guess. From what I hear, Tiger is really great. Maybe someday they'll fix the Airport Printing thing or Canon will come out with an update that works. Until then, I'm stuck in Panther. Hey, at least I got my Launch Services figured out for now.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
I have to respond to this one. Tiger is definitely worth upgrading. For 99.9% of people, it works perfectly. Tiger however, hasn't been the best for me though. I'm unlucky I guess. From what I hear, Tiger is really great. Maybe someday they'll fix the Airport Printing thing or Canon will come out with an update that works. Until then, I'm stuck in Panther. Hey, at least I got my Launch Services figured out for now.
Sorry to shift the topic ... do you happen to have a Canon printer hooked up via Airport Express that stops printing halfway through jobs?

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
Sorry to shift the topic ... do you happen to have a Canon printer hooked up via Airport Express that stops printing halfway through jobs?
Yes, I have a Canon Printer. Why? Is there a fix for it? Cause if there is, I would seriously upgrade to Tiger again at home. So far I am able to fix most of my problems with Tiger.

Slow Exposé animation is fixed by disabling beam sync.
Launch Services fixed (for now... somehow)
Next, I just gotta fix wireless printing to my Canon iP500 Inkjet

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
Yes, I have a Canon Printer. Why? Is there a fix for it?
Not that I know of, it's just interesting to hear I'm not the only one. I have the ip90, which Apple actually features at their stores, but I'm thinking about returning it. Only about one in three of the photos I try to print actually turns out; usually, the printer stalls halfway.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005, 12:58 PM

Not that I know of, it's just interesting to hear I'm not the only one. I have the ip90, which Apple actually features at their stores, but I'm thinking about returning it. Only about one in three of the photos I try to print actually turns out; usually, the printer stalls halfway.
Yeah... exactly. Even text sometimes has trouble printing. I've tried Apple's stock drivers as well as the latest drivers from Canon. I don't get this behavior in Panther.

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2005, 12:53 PM

It's worth it for the speed boost. I have an 800MHz iBook that is noticeably faster with Tiger than Panther. Even if you just use Spotlight once a week to find a file it's worth the cost of the upgrade just for the saved time and hassle. I'm so spoiled on Spotlight. It makes finding a file fast and easy. It makes Panther, a great os, seem antiquated and don't even try to compare it to XP since DOS can find files faster than it can.
Dashboard is cool but I disabled it. Too many resources used to justify it sitting there running all the time.
Mail and iPhoto are both much better and Dictionary is great.
Safari is also loads better in Tiger.
Go for it.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2005, 02:45 PM

very common problem, look at the apple forums, it's not just Canons either
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

scoot
Dec 27, 2005, 11:55 PM

A friend at Apple can get you either 15 or 25% off list price. A friend who is a student or teacher can get Tiger for $69. If you are a student, you can get Tiger for $69. If you've recently sneezed in the vicinity of a student, you can get the edu price.
--
Scott

Forum Links
Forum Rules