Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spotlight issue

Spotlight issue
njuyhb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2008, 07:58 PM

Is there a way to get spotlight to recognize substrings inside files instead of just whole strings? E.g.: say I'm searching on the string "ndvpl". In the files I'm searching, there will be strings like "qndvpl" or "xndvpl", and maybe even just "ndvpl". I want ALL of those files to be found by spotlight, not just the exact string matches. Is this possible?

(The files in question are pdf files, so I don't think the unix "find" command would work in this case.)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2008, 08:35 PM

find pdf | pdf2txt | grep ndvpl

njuyhb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
find pdf | pdf2txt | grep ndvpl
pdf2txt doesn't seem to be a built-in command.

In any event, I'd really prefer to not have to do this in a terminal - I paid good money for this mac, I really think I should be able to do this without having to be a unix guru. Is there really no way to do this in spotlight, or from the gui somewhere?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2008, 09:27 PM

Well right, that wasn't a literal command, just pseudocode for an idea of how to achieve your goal.

I'm not sure I understand how paying "good money" has anything to do with your ability to do something through a GUI; seems entirely non sequitur. What makes you think there's a way to do it through the GUI when you haven't been able to find a way to do it?

njuyhb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2008, 10:25 PM

I didn't say that there was a way to do it. I was asking if there was. It just seems odd to me that spotlight will only let you search on whole strings, at least where pdf is concerned. That's a pretty crippling "feature".

Forum Links
Forum Rules