Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Contents of Folder - Gone

Contents of Folder - Gone
air
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2008, 06:29 PM

I had probably around 700 or so files in my downloads folder. A lot of saved images, documents, etc from the web. I just looked in my folder, and now only the last thing I downloaded is there. My files are not in the trash. WTF?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2008, 06:31 PM

Anything else missing? Could you have dragged the folder elsewhere? Have you renamed your shortname on your home folder?

air  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2008, 07:27 PM

I have search all over my HD for the files and none of them are anywhere. I even turned on hidden files and they are still gone.

I had my downloads folder in my dock, and when the missing items spring open and I click on any, I get a message: "The application cannot be found" - whether it is a folder, or document. Very upsetting.

However, I am currently restoring my downloads folder from a time machine backup from a week ago. Even though its a week old, I still have a most of my files there.

This has been my worst experience using a mac and I have been using macs since 1993. Oh well.

ibook_steve
Aug 17, 2008, 09:14 PM

Don't blame the Mac, blame the hard drive. It's probably dying. Good thing you have a backup. Better run Disk Utility and see whether the drive is on its last legs.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2008, 12:11 AM

Its on timemachine so what's the big deal?

zykron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2008, 07:04 PM

Well Apple hasn't come out with a fix for Time Machine to remedy the mechanical rustiness of your internal drive. So, time machine won't help you there. If the hard drive is going bad, then check your S.M.A.R.T. status, as this will probably tell you if you need to replace it.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by zykron View Post
Well Apple hasn't come out with a fix for Time Machine to remedy the mechanical rustiness of your internal drive. So, time machine won't help you there. If the hard drive is going bad, then check your S.M.A.R.T. status, as this will probably tell you if you need to replace it.
I have yet to see any hard drive anywhere display anything useful in the SMART status. You could have smoke pouring from your machine while the drive head beats out SOS on the platters accompanied by howls from the bearings and the *&*)&& SMART status would still read OK.

Just replace the drive.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2008, 06:33 PM

The only program that I've ever found to give useful information on SMART statuses is Speedfan in Windows. It gives you a break down of all of the different aspects of the drives and gives you the value of them. I've found that Speedfan can also give erroneous readings though, it said one of my hard drives was failing so I replaced it. Test it in a different machine and it's fine again, has been for nearly a year

Forum Links
Forum Rules