Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How to get iphone to honor volume settings set in itunes?

How to get iphone to honor volume settings set in itunes?
njuyhb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2008, 02:58 PM

I have a pretty big itunes library, built over many years, in which each song has it's volume carefully set so that every song plays at the same volume. But, when I play these songs on my iphone, I can't seem to get them to play at these volumes. I know about soundcheck, but that doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to do this?

njuyhb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2008, 02:54 PM

Is there really no way to do this? How do you all get around this problem (with the iphone, ipod, etc.?) Do you just accept constantly having to manually raise or lower the volume with each song?

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2008, 03:12 PM

Sound check should do it... is it really not working!!!!!!!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2008, 04:42 PM

I believe you have to have soundcheck enabled both on the itunes library you are synching with as well as on the iPhone. The Mac will do all the heavy lifting of figuring out the volumes. Then again, it's probably not nearly as precise as how you have it setup.

njuyhb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2008, 05:27 PM

I guess a passable alternative would be to have a headset that has the ability to answer phone calls and talk on the phone, and skip through songs (all of which the iphone's normal headset can do), but also change volume. Do these headsets exist, and can anyone recommend a good one?

njuyhb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2008, 05:28 PM

No, soundcheck doesn't seem to do anything on my iphone, but I haven't done what the previous poster said about enabling it in itunes. I'll see what that does.

njuyhb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2008, 05:56 PM

Hey, slpdload - thanks, that definitely made things better than they were. It's still not great, but much better than it was. I'd still like to know if there's a decent iphone headset that includes volume control (as well as being able to answer calls and cycle through songs.)

mkerr64
Senior User
Aug 20, 2008, 11:50 PM

i use gopod
and it keeps all of the itunes settings
for the ipods

hopefully it will support iphone and touch
R.I.P Steve Jobs

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by mkerr64 View Post
i use gopod
and it keeps all of the itunes settings
for the ipods

hopefully it will support iphone and touch
Am I nuts or does that site not contain any information about the product at all, expecting you to just go ahead and install without providing any list of features, let alone anything else like privacy protection info or support documentation? What's up with that?

njuyhb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Am I nuts or does that site not contain any information about the product at all, expecting you to just go ahead and install without providing any list of features, let alone anything else like privacy protection info or support documentation?
I can't answer the first part of your question, but as to the second part, yes, you appear to be right. I hate web sites that do that. (There are others that do the same thing, including some that I think are pretty popular, but I can't remember them now.) I will never just blindly download something from a strange web site without even knowing what it claims to do, what version number it's at, or anything.

I did discover iVolume, which does a much better job than soundcheck. It's a tad pricey if you don't like clicking through tons of registration dialogs, but, perhaps if one knows a little something about applescript, there's a way around that.

Also, LG makes a headset that does calls and music, and has a built-in volume knob. Unfortunately, it isn't the right sized plug, and I can't seem to find an adapter (2.5" to 3.5") that has the 3 rings and is stereo. (There is one on amazon, but I found out the hard way that it's mono.)

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by njuyhb View Post
I can't answer the first part of your question, but as to the second part, yes, you appear to be right. I hate web sites that do that. (There are others that do the same thing, including some that I think are pretty popular, but I can't remember them now.) I will never just blindly download something from a strange web site without even knowing what it claims to do, what version number it's at, or anything.

I did discover iVolume, which does a much better job than soundcheck. It's a tad pricey if you don't like clicking through tons of registration dialogs, but, perhaps if one knows a little something about applescript, there's a way around that.

Also, LG makes a headset that does calls and music, and has a built-in volume knob. Unfortunately, it isn't the right sized plug, and I can't seem to find an adapter (2.5" to 3.5") that has the 3 rings and is stereo. (There is one on amazon, but I found out the hard way that it's mono.)
Luckily that was a one-or-the-other type question. Thank you for verifying that I am not, in fact, nuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules