Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Newbie needs some advice

Newbie needs some advice
keenie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2008, 11:31 AM

HI All
I have 2 questions regarding the G4 ibooks that my kids have and hope you can help in anyway:

1) My loving daughter decided to drop hers yesterday and now it powers up and only the backlight is lite up on the screen, there is no noise that the ibook has started up it silent and thats all it does, any ideas or is it dead???

2) my sons one once disconnected from the mains charger and with the battery showing full LED lights on the bottom panel, and 90% charge on the screen, suddenly just shuts down, then when we reconnect the dates and times go back to 1971.

All help will be very much appreciated

Regards

PAul

OreoCookie
Dec 1, 2008, 11:45 AM

(1) If you're lucky, then only a few power cables are lose and you could try to disassemble it. (Warning: disassembly of an iBook is rather hard, lots of screws. There are video tutorials, though.) But yes, it could have died.
(2) The battery is probably old and doesn't last long anymore. Batteries only last a finite amount of time (finite number of charge cycles). You could extend your battery life by recalibrating the charge sensor (simply put): disconnect the iBook from power and let it run down. Then completely charge it (leave it plugged in a few hours after it shows 100 %). If that doesn't work, you can try to reset the power management unit.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

keenie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2008, 11:57 AM

Hi Thanks for this I will check it tonight, to see if anything has come lose, and will make sure I read the dissambly of them first.

I will also try the battery test too

Regards

Paul

keenie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2008, 05:46 AM

Hi All
An update to the progress with my daughters G4 that she dropped, I took out the battery last night and left it for 1 hour, then reconnected it.

I turned on the laptop, and it started up with the usual tune to say im starting and i could hear the HD churning away, then once the screen tried to come on it shuts down straight away, and wont re start again until i remove the battery and do the same again, but again it just shuts down.

Any Ideas would be greatfully appreciated

Regards

paul

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by keenie View Post
Hi All
An update to the progress with my daughters G4 that she dropped, I took out the battery last night and left it for 1 hour, then reconnected it.

I turned on the laptop, and it started up with the usual tune to say im starting and i could hear the HD churning away, then once the screen tried to come on it shuts down straight away, and wont re start again until i remove the battery and do the same again, but again it just shuts down.

Any Ideas would be greatfully appreciated

Regards

paul
Try connecting the 2 computers by firewire cable
Hold down "T" key while starting the good computer with PMU problems.
Start the other computer.... if it boots properly, then HD is damaged.

Forum Links
Forum Rules