Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Tim Cook selected as finalist for 2014 Time Person of the Year

Tim Cook selected as finalist for 2014 Time Person of the Year
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 8, 2014, 05:13 PM

Apple CEO Tim Cook is among eight finalists in the running for Time's 2014 Person of the Year, the magazine has announced. Cook was previously a candidate for the title in 2012, when Time lauded him for taking over from Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, who died in October 2011. In 2014, the CEO is being credited as the first openly gay CEO of a Fortune 500 company, and for overseeing the iPhone 6/6 Plus, Apple Pay, and still-unreleased Apple Watch -- all the while leading Apple to new revenue and stock highs.

The winner will be announced on Wednesday. The Person of the Year title is meant to reflect someone Time considers influential, albeit not necessarily worthy of praise; along those lines, other nominees include Russian president Vladimir Putin, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, pop singer Taylor Swift, Alibaba CEO Jack Ma, and Masoud Barzani, the acting president of the Iraqi Kurdish Region. The remaining two candidates are actually groups -- protesters in Ferguson, Missouri, and the caregivers fighting ebola in West Africa.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Dec 10, 2014 at 05:31 AM. )

jameshays
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2014, 05:48 PM

I'm not sure it's an honor to be held with the ranks of Vladimir Putin and protesters in Ferguson. Seems like more of an insult.

drchimrichalds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2014, 06:05 PM

I didnt realize this about the person of the year comp. I always thought it was supposed to be someone deserving praise. Interesting. I still dont think he is that influential. I understand that he runs a huge corporation, but there are lots of people that do that. Is apple really the most pervasive company of all?

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2014, 06:38 PM

Apple may not be the most pervasive company, but for the last year or longer, they've held the title as "most valuable company in the world" -- even topping Coca-Cola. Their valuation is over $100 billion -- larger than Google, larger than Coca-Cola, larger than Microsoft, and larger than GE. They've created more worth in their short 30 to 40 years of existence than companies that have been around for more than 100 years.

Apple is more than a "huge corporation" -- they are *the* huge corporation, the world over. Tim Cook is a very visible CEO that typically makes a lot of public appearances, both domestic and international, and is highly involved in a good many things outside of (but still tied to) Apple as well.

Do you know the name or would you recognize the face of the CEO of Coca-Cola if he or she were standing right in front of you? Howabout IBM? Samsung? GE?

Tim Cook is at the helm of the most valuable corporation that exists in the world today. If that's not "influential" (combined with all the other things he does), then I'm not sure what other CEO you'd nominate above him. Elon Musk, maybe, but his company pales in comparison to Apple.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Dec 8, 2014, 08:17 PM

Personally, I'd give it to the Ebola kids. That is some pretty awe inspiring stuff they are doing, and given the hysteria in the US over it, even more so.
Runner ups would be Tim Cook, then Ferguson.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2014, 10:12 PM

I wonder why Pope Francis didn't make the list?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2014, 01:20 AM

Like the Nobel Peace Prize, Time's yearly list has always been a silly institution.

But if we're talking about the most important newsmaker, then Cook doesn't come close.

I think the list of options is friggin' terrible, but if we're stuck with these choices, Putin is the only natural choice.

Putin's refusal to permit western intervention in Syria against Assad led to the rise of ISIL, his support of the Ukrainian rebels caused significant NATO ambivalence, and because of his continued harbouring of Snowden, Putin has his mark on many stories that dominate the news today.

Forum Links
Forum Rules