Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 123)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2016, 10:53 AM

PS4 Pro: no 4K Bluray support and no FPS advantage in multiplayer.

If you're a multiplayer-centric gamer, it seems pointless.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 8, 2016, 11:04 AM

I agree. Burden off my mind.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 8, 2016, 12:45 PM

Overwatch $10 off on Amazon

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2016, 02:54 PM

Sony won't allow mods in fallout 4 for ...reasons.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2016, 09:09 PM

Download overwatch sek

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2016, 07:31 AM

For the drivers and XBone owners amongst us : Forza Horizon 3 Demo Could Be Out Very Soon - IGN

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 12, 2016, 02:09 PM

TLG delayed to December

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2016, 11:32 PM

This game is never coming out.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2016, 12:52 AM

Maybe the NMS team can work on it

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2016, 08:44 AM

Horizon 3 demo is apparently very very good.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2016, 05:36 PM

Horizon 3 reviews.

So, quite good then eh?

P
Sep 21, 2016, 04:18 AM

Anyone playing Deus Ex? It is quite good, and refreshingly difficult for this age.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2016, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Horizon 3 reviews.

So, quite good then eh?
Everyone seems to be gushing about it. I'm not a big enough racing fan to buy it when new and full price, but it's tempting.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2016, 08:30 AM

Waiting for the text message to arrive that I can pick it up, otherwise Friday is going to be a looooooong day.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2016, 07:17 AM

I had the code this morning for Forza Horizon 3, so hopefully its downloading to mine now (48GB, apparently!).

This weekend there is a Rockstar sale on Steam, I might get the PC versions of a few things on there, GTA V is still cheaper on cdkeys, but the other stuff is cheap.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2016, 12:29 PM

My mate is playing Horizon 3 now, and I'm stuck at work. XBone version has a 4G update apparently. Took him an hour to install and he has a pretty good net connection. Wonder if I'll actually get to play tonight.

Couple of issues reported in the forza sub-reddit, hope things get sorted for them soon.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2016, 02:31 PM

I got around to pre-ordering BF1. I don't know if its football season or boredom or other games, but Overwatch has been dead lately and the quality of games has been wacky and competitive has been hell. Not feeling it at all right now.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I got around to pre-ordering BF1. I don't know if its football season or boredom or other games, but Overwatch has been dead lately and the quality of games has been wacky and competitive has been hell. Not feeling it at all right now.
This was as predictable as my console buying/selling habits.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 24, 2016, 03:02 PM

Me buying bf1 wasn't the surprises there.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2016, 06:09 PM

If Overwatch has been dead lately, I can only imagine how bad it is over on the Battleborn servers.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 26, 2016, 06:20 PM

Battlewho?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2016, 11:16 AM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2016, 04:44 AM

I cannot stress enough how good, how fun, and how beautiful Forza Horizon 3 is. Lots of PC users are having issues, but on the 'standard' XBone, its plain sailing. I have no idea what the difference between XBone and XBone S is in terms of perf, quality, frame rate etc.

The variety of cars, races, environments is mind blowing. The addition of managing the Festival itself is a good one. There isn't too much micro-management, but it allows other ways of enjoying Oz and racing about. The Blueprints are brilliant. If you don't like the proposed Championship, you change it. I usually just increase the laps if its that type of event.

The cars above A class are however overpowered when you don't use any driving aids. I have ABS off, TCS off and driving set to simulation (which is the harder of the two choices), and they are virtually uncontrollable in the lower gears. I do have damage switched off. When you can enjoy the scenery by doing 150mph across country in a Koenigsegg, who wants to be bothered that what you're doing would break the car in half in the first 30 seconds?

The sweet spots (IMHO) are the Class A and Class B cars. Tuning a Mini Cooper or a Renaut 5 up to the max of Class A and then beating the more modern cars of the same class produces massive grins.

Bad points : the AI can do 150mph 90° turns with no issues. There's always one drivatar out far in front above a certain level. It doesn't seem that you can hire a drivatar above your own game level.

People have found a race that allows grinding out serious exp/levelling up. Not sure how I feel about this, apparently Turn 10/Playground Games aren't bothered. Level 23 after 16 hours of playing it. I've seen people above level 500.

Apparently there will be more areas added to the map in the future. This game has legs.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 3, 2016, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I cannot stress enough how good, how fun, and how beautiful Forza Horizon 3 is. Lots of PC users are having issues, but on the 'standard' XBone, its plain sailing. I have no idea what the difference between XBone and XBone S is in terms of perf, quality, frame rate etc.
I updated Apex yesterday to add wheel support and spent a couple hours on it - very enjoyable. Head and shoulders above Gran Turismo or anything else I played on PS3, and I like it better than Grid 2 or Assetto Corsa on PC.

The cars above A class are however overpowered when you don't use any driving aids. I have ABS off, TCS off and driving set to simulation (which is the harder of the two choices), and they are virtually uncontrollable in the lower gears. I do have damage switched off.
I'm running simulation mode with damage on, manual shifting with clutch, and ABS as the only assist - basically what you'd have in any of those cars in real life. The V12 Vantage was a bit of a handful but I was still able to place well in that race at the 25% difficultly level ("I've played Forza before"). At 40% ("Racing simulations are my favorite game"), all of the other cars would just run away from me on the straights, I had no chance.

This winter when I can't race my real car or reasonably be in the garage, I may get the full version of this game.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 4, 2016, 02:31 PM

After driving the Ferrari 458 I think I agree that the fast cars are too twitchy - the slightest movement of the wheel destabilized the thing and sent it careening across the track.

Other complaints - bonus depends on shifter choice, but shifter choice isn't tied to the car. The P1 has flappy paddles only. A clutched six-speed stick shouldn't even be an option for a serious simulation. Most of the super/hyper cars are this way. GRID lets you should auto, manual sequential, h-pattern manual, and h-pattern with clutch. I only see three options in Forza - auto, manual, manual with clutch.

Also, on the in-car view, the steering wheels only turn 90 degrees from center. Nit picking, but it's something.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2016, 02:03 PM

Valve monetized CS:Go sprays to have a 50 usage limit.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2016, 12:25 PM

More Forza thoughts - they seem to have a single "collision" sound, so every time your car hits another car is the same breaking glass sound, over and over again.

I'm tired of seeing animations of my car before I get to menus. Before each race, I have to watch it pull into the pits from two different angles before I can set up the race. After each race I have to watch it pit before I get to the results or restart. Also why do I have to pick the car's color before every single race? That's a couple loading screens and a couple clicks standing in the way of racing. Also there should be separate "restart from pit" and "restart race" options so I don't have to go back to the pits (and watch all of the associated animations) just to restart the race.

Also there were a lot of lighting glitches in the night races. It seemed like it had trouble combining the headlights from different cars.

But enough complaining. It feel very polished for the most part. It looks beautiful, driving in the rain is gorgeous. The cars do seem a bit twitchy and more likely to spin out than in real life. Any kind of braking in rough corners is suicide without stability control enabled. But it's a lot of fun.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2016, 11:49 PM

I see CoD Infinite Warfare is trying to get us Modern Warfare 2 players back by offering the Terminal map. I had such good times on that map! Almost made me want to buy the game.... Almost.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

P
Oct 20, 2016, 11:00 AM

So the Nintendo NX has finally been revealed, and just like we heard it is a mobile/stationary console combination. Apparently it plays Skyrim Remastered, which is pretty OK fro a mobile console.

Ninty has also apparently confirmed old rumors that center around it using a Tegra X chip (ie, nVidia ARM CPU and a small Geforce graphics chip of some generation), but the proof is in the pudding as usual - we don't know how many shaders that thing has. If that is true, it will not be a straight port from PS4/Xbone consoles, which use x86 and AMD Radeon graphics.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 20, 2016, 11:10 AM

My three questions: price, waggle, and touch

P
Oct 20, 2016, 01:23 PM

Wait and see, no, and no.

Waggle seems completely out, and the video did not show any moments of touching the screen. Yes it could be added, but at least for now, the screen in the controller seems to shut down when connected to a TV.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2016, 12:24 AM

EA is on board? FIFA on the go...I don't see how I can resist.

Honestly, the NX seems to be exactly what I hoped the mysterious, long-rumored Nintendo hybrid console would be. I want more details, but the new Mario title alone has me fighting nostalgia and hype.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2016, 12:28 AM

Nintendo Switch Partners Are So Secretive That They Won't Even Confirm The Game That Was In The Console's Official Trailer
You’d think that the appearance of Skyrim in the trailer for Nintendo’s next gaming machine today would confirm that, oh, perhaps, Skyrim is coming to Nintendo’s next gaming machine. Not necessarily.

The great open-world role-playing game Skyrim is not confirmed for the Switch.

Maybe it’s coming. Maybe not.

A rep for Bethesda Softworks, publisher of Skyrim, told Games Industry today that “[w]hile we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch.”
The gaming industry is such a joke.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2016, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by p View Post
waggle seems completely out,
gimmick gimmick gimmick

P
Oct 21, 2016, 07:01 AM

gimmick gimmick gimmick
It was with us for what, ten years? Long time for it to be a gimmick, but I think that much like touch, it has lead to simple games, because the controls are not very sophisticated.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
It was with us for what, ten years? Long time for it to be a gimmick, but I think that much like touch, it has lead to simple games, because the controls are not very sophisticated.
It was 10 years but it was arguably niche. Let me put it this way: if they released the WiiU without it would sales really have been that different?

P
Oct 21, 2016, 10:07 AM

It became niche at the end, but there was some very real pressure trying to push it along for a long time. It is not that long ago that we had Kinect included with the Xbone.

Anyway: New Battlefield is out. Reviews are pretty great.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2016, 10:35 AM

It's pretty obvious Sony and ms jumped in because of the wii sales. Sony ignored it with the PS4 and Kinect was a hated and then removed part of the x1

P
Oct 21, 2016, 12:48 PM

Sony clearly followed, but MS tried to leapfrog with Kinect, and doubled down with the Xbone. Waggle turned out to not have staying power, but it arguably had three, or at least two and a half, generations before fizzling out.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2016, 01:07 PM

Three?

Rumor
Oct 21, 2016, 04:39 PM

It's pretty obvious Sony and ms jumped in because of the wii sales. Sony ignored it with the PS4 and Kinect was a hated and then removed part of the x1
Didn't Sony have that weird glowing mic thing?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2016, 05:28 PM

Yes, the move.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2016, 12:24 PM

They're still used with the PS4 camera for the PSVR headset.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2016, 01:37 PM

Anyway: New Battlefield is out. Reviews are pretty great.
How's the single player campaign? Dakar wants to know.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

P
Oct 22, 2016, 02:13 PM

Three?
Just the accelerometer, accelerometer plus position tracking in the Move, and two generations of the Kinect. At least two and a half.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2016, 08:00 PM

Just the accelerometer, accelerometer plus position tracking in the Move, and two generations of the Kinect. At least two and a half.
You're not measuring generation in the traditional manner, are you. As in console generations. Only two by my count.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2016, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
They're still used with the PS4 camera for the PSVR headset.
I wouldn't say 'still used'. I'd say brought back. Because they have useful application here.

...and we don't know if VR is a fad or not, but I'm betting niche at best because it'll be less easy to jump in (get situated), more expensive, and about as tiring as using a Wii (depends how much standing is involved).

P
Oct 23, 2016, 06:24 PM

You're not measuring generation in the traditional manner, are you. As in console generations. Only two by my count.
I meant generations of the technology, not directly linked to console generations as both the PS Move and the original Kinect started as mid-cycle add-ons.

Anyway: Civ VI is out. Anyone playing?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 23, 2016, 06:26 PM

I have enough on my gaming plate to wait for either some patches (if necessary) or a full on expansion.

P
Oct 24, 2016, 04:16 AM

I have only played one game through so far, but some reflections:

* It actually runs pretty good already. It is WAY better than Civ V (or even III) was. It is not quite up to the level of IV or II, but for a new game in 2016, it is pretty good.
* The new graphics style is a bit distracting, but I think I will get used to it - and it does mean that you don't need a powerful computer to play it anymore
* This is not a clean slate from Civ V, the way V (mostly) was from IV and IV was from III. This is an update of V with all the expansions, so something like the religion system is quite well developed already, and we have city states and OUPT combat again. They have also brought back the health system from Civ IV, even if it has been renamed into "housing", which is a real improvement. Happiness is back to being local, and if improvements still cost money in maintenance, it is not really a big deal as you have crazy amounts of gold at all times. All in all the cities are closer to IV while the combat is an evolution of V, and that's a good thing.
* The biggest change is that cities are now built as districts. You build a city center with your settler, and then expand from that by building new districts on the map. For production, an industrial zone. For science, a campus - etc. If you want to build say a library, you need to build the campus first. This works well, and makes your cities much more varied.
* The AI is a moron, and the leaders used are really scraping the bottom of the barrel. The most interesting opponent is the barbarians, who are a big threat early on and remain an issue for a long time. I suspect that we will get a "classic leaders pack" DLC with Napoleon, Alexander, Isabella, Catherine, Julius Caesar, Lincoln and maybe a few more, paired with an AI upgrade.
* There are balance issues. Units are too cheap compared to buildings, and in general you are production starved for most of the game. The new ZOC system also means that you can spend centuries chasing enemy units, and in general it takes too long to move across the continent. Mostly I solve my problems by buying things, because I have lots of gold.
* Great leaders are borrowing from Colonization, of all things, but it is a nice way of making them a bit more personalized.
* The UI is pretty bad, and tries to cover much of the screen with huge buttons to make it touchable - but luckily I have a 4K display so I can scale them into nothingness. That also solves the stupid zoom out lock.

All in all... I think that there is a balance patch coming, I am sure there are more Civs and leaders waiting in the wings (seriously, Catherine de Medici for France? Gorgo or whatever for Greece?), and the turn time could drop a bit, but it is certainly playable. "Interesting" is probably the word I would use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules