Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best Torrent Client?

Best Torrent Client?
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2004, 02:07 AM

I'm currently using Tomato Torrent, any suggestions on better apps? I'm using it to download TV shows that aren't really being broadcast now, or are you know... not really stuff I can find since I'm at college all day and there's like one TV that gets more than three channels... by the way why is there no Trading Spaces on Bittorrent sites?

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 02:14 AM

ahahahahahahahahaha
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 02:18 AM

Tomato Torrent here also. Seems to be the best.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2004, 02:30 AM

the official mac bittorrent client (named bittorrent) is the one i use. i've found that it offers me the fastest downloads out of Tomato and Azureus.

btw, isn't stealing a sin?

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 03:01 AM

I agree that the official BT client seems to be the most reliable and hog the least amount of resources. While others like Azureus give you a TON more options, if you don't really need them you might as well just use the official client.

historylme
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 04:05 AM

Are people still using "iswipe" ?

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 04:19 AM

So apparently this is a program to download large files right? Sort of like e-mule or e-donkey?

I downloaded tomato torrent and am using it to download a movie now.

What are the advantages to torrents?

This is the first discussion that I have had with them, I am interesting in what websites you guys use to find good sources.

Also how does this effect your PowerBook if you leave it on for long periods of time?

Thanks
( Last edited by spatterson; Nov 28, 2004 at 04:26 AM. )

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by spatterson:
So apparently this is a program to download large files right? Sort of like e-mule or e-donkey?

I downloaded tomato torrent and am using it to download a movie now.

What are the advantages to torrents?

This is the first discussion that I have had with them, I am interesting in what websites you guys use to find good sources.

Also how does this effect your PowerBook if you leave it on for long periods of time?

Thanks
Yes.

Okay.

They appear rapidly and leeching isn't part of the paradigm. (This stems from the required uploading.)

(Hint: Google)

Bit Torrent clients for OS X (last I checked) were extremely sloppy with how they managed their memory allocations. A lot of them used insane amounts of virtual memory. So, in cases of extended use, you would continully lose hard drive space until you restarted.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

billybob128
Senior User
Nov 28, 2004, 06:53 AM

i have been using azures for a while and found it better than the official app. it is just more user friendly.

i have also been looking for the airplane! films with i believe its leslie nielson in them. i have done a google search but cant find them any suggestions on where to look?

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2004, 07:15 AM

In before lock

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 07:58 AM

I use PythonInterpreter with the Source in OS 9.

--responsefile "Vacation.torrent" --saveas "blvacation.avi" --display_interval 60 --max_uploads 6 --minport 45220 --maxport 45230 --max_upload_rate 60

Good times..

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2004, 08:03 AM

Are you and Zimphire the same person?

Both GodSquad and both think that you can ignore the forum's organisation.

Software discussion goes in the Software forum - is it that hard to understand such a complex concept?
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 28, 2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Are you and Zimphire the same person?
See, see the worrying sky Marvel at its big baby blue depths. Tell me, rudolph do you Wonder why the warthog ignores you? Why its foobly stare makes you feel bleary. I can tell you, it is Worried by your franzwalp facial growth That looks like A mould. What's more, it knows Your floopin potting shed Smells of bogey. Everything under the big worrying sky Asks why, why do you even bother? You only charm feets

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
See, see the worrying sky Marvel at its big baby blue depths. Tell me, rudolph do you Wonder why the warthog ignores you? Why its foobly stare makes you feel bleary. I can tell you, it is Worried by your franzwalp facial growth That looks like A mould. What's more, it knows Your floopin potting shed Smells of bogey. Everything under the big worrying sky Asks why, why do you even bother? You only charm feets

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2004, 11:04 AM

HEY GUYS WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD SKY CAPTAIN!!?
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2004, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
the official mac bittorrent client (named bittorrent) is the one i use. i've found that it offers me the fastest downloads out of Tomato and Azureus.

Using Bittorrent isn't stealing. Just because some (most) of what's available through Bittorrent has been illegally copied, doesn't mean it all is.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2004, 12:53 PM

Someone on another board suggested that I use Azureus, because it would 'work better with there torrents' (you have to keep a balance between the amount you upload and download). Using this JAVA app over a few days gave me more Kernel Panics than my entire previous OSX experience (this includes running pre-release versions of the OS). Tomato seams to work best for me.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2004, 01:45 PM

Azureus seems chunky and buggy to me. Tomato is ok, but I think I'll be sticking to the official client. I like having all my downloads in one window.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Verily, 'twas ever thus.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 02:46 PM

peer to peer File sharing of copyrighted materials is prohibited by law in any civilized nation, That's why kazaa and limewire exist.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
HEY GUYS WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD SKY CAPTAIN!!?
YOU HAVE TO PRESS BUTAN

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
I'm currently using Tomato Torrent, any suggestions on better apps? I'm using it to download TV shows that aren't really being broadcast now, or are you know... not really stuff I can find since I'm at college all day and there's like one TV that gets more than three channels... by the way why is there no Trading Spaces on Bittorrent sites?
Thats the best, Azureas has more features but its a pain. I'd suggest XFactor for rare TV shows, bit torrent is really only good for popular ones.

You watch trading spaces? That is really, really, really, gay. Its so gay most gays would be ashamed to admit it, and even they aren't gay enough to watch it. Go watch something manly, like This old House, American Chopper, or the Naked Chef.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 05:52 PM

AZUREUS

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2004, 06:29 PM

Torrent has legitimate uses such as downloading TV episodes (not DVD rips.) It's no different than getting 'em off your TiVo.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
AZUREUS SUCKS.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 07:20 PM

mommy wow i can quote now
Yeah, but that isn't really the fault of Azureus.

(It runs fine on Windows.)

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2004, 08:14 PM

YOU HAVE TO PRESS BUTAN
Thread #1352659 LOL

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
Thread #1352659 LOL
WHERE MOVIES DA AT!? PLZ HLP

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 12:26 AM

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 29, 2004, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Using Bittorrent isn't stealing. Just because some (most) of what's available through Bittorrent has been illegally copied, doesn't mean it all is.
Um, except he said in his first post that he is using it to download copyrighted material which would be "stealing" as the word has been used regarding this act.

Azureus is perfect when you want a server to do all the downloading. It can auto-download torrents which are dropped in a folder, perfect for FTPing a torrent of a file you want. And it also exports an XML file which is perfect for keeping track of download status via the web. There is also a web GUI, but I have not tried it. I use Tomato on the ever so rare occasions that I download to my local computer.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2004, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Torrent has legitimate uses such as downloading TV episodes (not DVD rips.) It's no different than getting 'em off your TiVo.
I'd question the legitimacy of that, but I'll raise you Linux ISOs and World of Warcraft instead.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2004, 01:35 AM

Yeah, but that isn't really the fault of Azureus.

(It runs fine on Windows.)
yeah apple really does need to get their java together don't they.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 02:44 AM

I certainly wouldn't know anything about torrents or where to get rare ones. I would especially not know if you PMed me.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 03:23 AM

yeah apple really does need to get their java together don't they.
I'm picking up a little sarcasm.

Apple's implementation of Java is fine, it's just that Java really ****ing sucks.

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2004, 05:14 AM

I'm picking up a little sarcasm.

Apple's implementation of Java is fine, it's just that Java really ****ing sucks.
well if its okay on windows apple must be doing something wrong. no?

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 05:16 AM

well if its okay on windows apple must be doing something wrong. no?
I'm not terribly sure. Like I said, Apple has held up well on their end with getting Java setup in OS X, but a lot of it is in Sun's hands. So I guess that with the win32/x86 world, Sun has done a better job at getting the performance down and keeping the resource use down to a minimum.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2004, 07:40 AM

I used to use Azureus on OS X while it was at 2.0-ish and I thought it was damn good. The 2.2.0 version is not. At least not on the Mac and not without a display wider than 1200 pix.

Now I use the official client and it suits me fine. Simple and works.

I do hope Azureus gets its act together again. I like that client despite its bugs and Java-iness.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 10:46 AM

If you have a dual G5, stay the hell away from Azureus, unless you love kernel panics.

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 11:46 AM

Java is fine. The Java interfaces are quite lacking, but as a language, Java is fine.

And if you think Apple's implementation is ok, try running Azureus on a dual processor machine. Kernel Panic!

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 01:23 PM

Azureus + RSS reader plugin + some configuration= automatic downloads of HD versions of the TV shows I want. It's a clunky, slow and akward app, but the RSS plugin is handy.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2004, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
If you have a dual G5, stay the hell away from Azureus, unless you love kernel panics.
I have a Dual G4 867 and got a ton of kernel panics. I think it was the first time in years.

I got an episode of "Lost" that I had missed. With all the kernel panics, it took a long time.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2004, 02:09 PM

Guys, I'm Canadian. Remember, we can do stuff that you guys can't because our government doesn't feel like sticking a broom up our rectums every time we do something involving anything with ones and zeros.
If they make a good way for me to get episodes of Jeremiah up here then I'll quit, until then, I'll get em while I can

billybob128
Senior User
Nov 29, 2004, 03:29 PM

yeah have a G5 here (dual 2) and have been running azures for about 8-9 months now. not one kernal panic - ever. so thats that out of the window.

i find azures fast easy and simple. better than a window for every download in the official client. and it gives more info that is usefull.

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2004, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by billybob128:
yeah have a G5 here (dual 2) and have been running azures for about 8-9 months now. not one kernal panic - ever. so thats that out of the window.

i find azures fast easy and simple. better than a window for every download in the official client. and it gives more info that is usefull.
official client only has one window. its tomato torrrent that has a bunch of windows.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
Java is fine. The Java interfaces are quite lacking, but as a language, Java is fine.

And if you think Apple's implementation is ok, try running Azureus on a dual processor machine. Kernel Panic!
oh ok

bmedina
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 12:34 AM

The Java bug is confirmed by the Azureus developers; it's not just a figment of someone's imagination. And it's Apple's fault, not Sun's. The Java implementation on OS X is Apple's code.

If the Java problem didn't exist, I'd use Azureus. But now I use the official client, or the command line python version if I want something I can control remotely.

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2004, 12:35 AM

The dual proc kernel panic has been fixed in Azureus. You will need the Azureus 2.2.0.1_B6.jar file. See The Azureus Website for details.
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2004, 02:39 AM

Been using Tomato Torrent for quite some time already and have not much problems with it, except the occasional "Application has unexpectantly quit" which isn't a biggie.

Azureus on the other hand, has a problem of getting the settings to stick, and within 20 mins of trying to set up the damn thing, it was in the Trash. Bah.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules