Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > creating rules in mail client rather than on line

creating rules in mail client rather than on line
jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2015, 04:09 AM

If I set up rules in my 'Mail' client to apply to my iCloud and Gmail accounts (moving emails into folders) will those rules be applied if I log into those two email accounts through a web browser?

Or will those rules only apply when I am looking at my emails on the Mail client on my Mac?

Also, if I set up folders in the mail client will they appear when I access the email accounts through a web browser?

I'm running 10.11.1 on a MBP 13"

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 29, 2015, 07:24 PM

The rules you set up in Mail will only apply in the Mail. They are all local, so they also won't transfer to another device running Mail. However, if you use the same client on multiple devices AND set up the same rules on all those clients, you'll have the same behavior among all the devices

Your rules will actually move items in G Mail (and I think in iCloud accounts).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mindwaves
Nov 19, 2015, 12:25 PM

I have a MBP retina using an iCloud account with rules for Mail. I also bought a MBA with same iCloud account. The rules transferred over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules