Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Get rid of transparent menu. how?

Get rid of transparent menu. how?
Oink
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2001, 12:03 AM

Many have said "easy" but no one seems willing to part with the instruction. I am mac/resedit/unix/ savvy, I just need a few pointers. Is it a resource? a .plist preference? a cli command perhaps...

While I am on the subject, can any one part with a copy of Sprocket? Theminator doesn't work with 10.1.1 resources. I am just curious.

Thanks in advance

Synotic
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2001, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Oink:
<STRONG>Many have said "easy" but no one seems willing to part with the instruction. I am mac/resedit/unix/ savvy, I just need a few pointers. Is it a resource? a .plist preference? a cli command perhaps...

While I am on the subject, can any one part with a copy of Sprocket? Theminator doesn't work with 10.1.1 resources. I am just curious.

Thanks in advance</STRONG>
Download Sprocket and change the menu fill's alpha mask to completely white. I am assuming that you know you have to edit the Extras.rsrc since you already know about Theminator..

Oink  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2001, 02:07 AM

Thanks very much.

Downloaded Spocket, Found the resources, but can't paste the photoshop file in, obviously something related to the clut resource, will look into that shortly. Wow, a lot of pxm's in the Extra.rsrc file alone. Good job, theme designers!

daftpig
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2001, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
<STRONG>Download Sprocket and change the menu fill's alpha mask to completely white. I am assuming that you know you have to edit the Extras.rsrc since you already know about Theminator..</STRONG>
Erm, how about some different instructions for those who do not know about editing? Any way to turn off the menu transparency?

Oink  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2001, 03:55 PM

IT WORKS!

Had to paste in a similar resource with white alpha map from the same file, since I haven't worked around the paste in via clipboard from photoshop glitch (paste is greyed out, with both indexed image, or an rgb one).... That will at least keep me happy for a while. Will post a detailed doc when I get it to work.

Thanks again Synotic

brachiator
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2001, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by daftpig:
<STRONG>

Erm, how about some different instructions for those who do not know about editing? Any way to turn off the menu transparency?</STRONG>
I know it is not as easy as this, since it involves editing the resource files.

But couldn't an app be put together relatively easily that would run as root and change just the resources required to eliminate the transparencies?

I'm pretty ignorant of how Sprocket works, or of how to theme in general, you all know. And the app I'm describing might simply be a narrowed version of Sprocket that ran automatically on just the one set of resources. But if it could run as a script like TransparentDock, and automatically create a backup of the original resources, with restore capability, that would be cool.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

Oink  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2001, 09:10 PM

In reality, it is just that, replacing your Extras.rsrc file with a modified copy. I am using sinewave's Sosumi file, with further modifications done by me. You may not want to go to that extreme of wiping traces of Aqua, the looks apple wants to sell you... There are a few thousand resources in that file alone, I am just snooping around at this stage, most of the editors are still rather rough...

daftpig
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2001, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by Oink:
<STRONG>In reality, it is just that, replacing your Extras.rsrc file with a modified copy. I am using sinewave's Sosumi file, with further modifications done by me. You may not want to go to that extreme of wiping traces of Aqua, the looks apple wants to sell you... There are a few thousand resources in that file alone, I am just snooping around at this stage, most of the editors are still rather rough...</STRONG>
Could we have a step-by-step thingie... now that you've got it working..

Transparency's not very good for my G3/400 iMac.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2001, 02:44 AM

Not good for your g3 400!?! Stop complaining!!! I'm running on a Rev A iMac, 233mhz, and a Rage 2c! shesh

Anyways,
Could someone just post their regular aqua Extras.rsrc that includes non-transparent menus on their iDisk? This would be awesome.

Ben

daftpig
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2001, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by spectre:
<STRONG>Not good for your g3 400!?! Stop complaining!!! I'm running on a Rev A iMac, 233mhz, and a Rage 2c! shesh

Ben</STRONG>

well... at least you have more mac users in Canada..

namannik
Senior User
Nov 30, 2001, 03:39 AM

Could someone please post some instructions on how to do this? The path to the file I need to edit would be great!

Oink  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2001, 10:33 AM

I haven't had time to play with sprocket yet, thus I can't post any instruction about resource editing of Extras.rsrc file. My own Extras.rsrc has other modifications you may or may nor approve. I will definitely post something here when I get around to it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules