Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sad RAM story...

Sad RAM story...
cowboybop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 03:00 PM

In the modern spirit of "why me?", I would like to post (briefly) my quixotic attempt to upgrade my PB with 512mb of RAM, and request any advice from all you would be Sancho's out there...

Stick 1 (Viking)... Kernel Panics in about 10 minutes.

Stick 2 (Viking)... Kernel Panics in about 10 minutes.

Stick 3 (Viking, with the added bonus of disgusted looks from my local mac tech)... Lasted about 1 day, then... Kernel Panics.

...Extended Hardware Test showed that my fan was stalled... sent to Apple... new Logic Board, Temperature Module installed.

Stick 4 (Viking, with a new chip on it)... Kernal Panics in about 15 minutes (Demonstrating amazing progress!)

Reinstalled OS X (Twice, thanks for the box "Save Network Preferences" so you can't login and have to do it all over again)... Go ahead and sing that line if you feel so compelled.

Make sure to delete all non-Apple apps.

Stick 5 (Crucial, because the Norse are so 13th century)...Kernel Panic in about 2 hours!

Stick 6 (Crucial)...Kernel Panic in about 2 hours. At least they are consistent.

So, my question is, do I get a medal for most RAM without working? And, slightly less important, anyone think of any last steps before I call Applecare and tell my comic (tragic) story?

wedgewood
Aug 25, 2004, 03:37 PM

go for Samsung/Hynix Memeory.
1.33 GHz 12" powerbook, 1.25GB

euphras
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 03:56 PM

Infineon also never caused trouble for me..

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 04:24 PM

Seriously it sounds like your powerbook's north bridge (or wherever they stick the memory controller in powerbooks) is extremely demented. That SUCKS.

Might be time to get another board But then again, what kinda memory does apple use? Have you tried that? (they don't make their own, you know )
Aloha

cowboybop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 05:16 PM

Update...

Called Applecare, told them the tale. The woman on the phone (who was extremely kind) was rather awestruck at my plight. She suggested switching slots on the RAM that came with my PB. Being the obedient type, I did as I was told. I then ran 26 programs, with nary a problem.

So I went back to my local mac store, and received on more new stick of RAM. He suggested, in polite terms, that I would not be getting any more, as no other PB have had this problem, and the odds of seven sticks not working were rather slim.

So I hope this one works.

Link, is there any way to test the north bridge? Or am I stuck sending my machine to Apple if the problem persist?

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 05:16 PM

What you get when you go 3rd party. Although I can totally understand that seeing as how much Apple gouges for memory. Try Samsung, they seem to have a pretty perfect record on PBs.

If that doesnt work, somethings wrong with your comp and it interfacing with the RAM. (NO idea where the memory controller is in a PB)

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by cowboybop:
Update...

Called Applecare, told them the tale. The woman on the phone (who was extremely kind) was rather awestruck at my plight. She suggested switching slots on the RAM that came with my PB. Being the obedient type, I did as I was told. I then ran 26 programs, with nary a problem.

So I went back to my local mac store, and received on more new stick of RAM. He suggested, in polite terms, that I would not be getting any more, as no other PB have had this problem, and the odds of seven sticks not working were rather slim.

So I hope this one works.

Link, is there any way to test the north bridge? Or am I stuck sending my machine to Apple if the problem persist?
Thats good, ya there was a bit of a shadow of a rumor that certain RAM doesnt like being in certain slots on the PB. Anyways, glad that it works, too bad about your local store though.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Forum Links
Forum Rules