Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Device or "My Computer" in Finder/Dock

Device or "My Computer" in Finder/Dock
Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2014, 06:22 AM

I tried searching on this but am not sure what terms to use.

Please note I don't mean the Hard Drive icon(s)...

I want to create a shortcut to the device/my computer window on my desktop...

For reference, the window I'm referring to can be found by first opening your hard drive window and then pressing cmd-up arrow. The window takes on the Computer Name specified in your sharing system preference. It contains your mounted volumes, plus "Network" and "Remote Disc" icons.

I'm trying to find some way to tie this to an alias or other icon type. I've also tried unsuccessfully to create an applescript, but there is no 'path' to this window that I can determine...

Anyone know any way to open this window directly?

P
Jun 26, 2014, 12:57 PM

You can do it by activating the menu directly:

Code:
tell application "Finder" activate end tell tell application "System Events" tell process "Finder" tell menu bar 1 tell menu bar item "Go" tell menu "Go" click menu item "Computer" end tell end tell end tell end tell end tell
Please note that my computer is not set to English, but I think that those are the names of those menu items. They have to be exact as spelled int he interface.

You also need to enable support (in System Preferences) for assistive devices for the Applescript editor, but you will be prompted about that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2014, 03:36 PM

As Murphy's Law would have it I found the following AFTER I made this post:

Code:
tell application "Finder" make new Finder window end tell
When not specifying a path it appears to default to the "My Computer" equivalent.

It works pretty well, now I just wish I could figure out a way to hide the '.app' on the desktop icon on my desktop without having to hide all extensions on all file types on my entire system...

P
Jun 26, 2014, 04:06 PM

Place the application in your home directory and make an alias to it on the desktop. Name the alias what you wish.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2014, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Place the application in your home directory and make an alias to it on the desktop. Name the alias what you wish.
Thought of that, but then it has the little alias arrow which is more annoying to me than the '.app' extension...

I appreciate the suggestion though...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2014, 06:43 PM

Stick it in the applications folder and drag it onto the dock?

andi*pandi
Jul 1, 2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
Thought of that, but then it has the little alias arrow which is more annoying to me than the '.app' extension...

I appreciate the suggestion though...
you want to make an alias, but don't like the little arrow? Um, ok. Applescripts etc seems like overkill.

Forum Links
Forum Rules