Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Waiting 8 weeks and people just walk in and buy

Waiting 8 weeks and people just walk in and buy
jojomana
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 04:27 AM

I'm a swicther that has be waiting 8 weeks now and still no 17 powerbook in site, I'm a little pissed that people are just walking into stores and getting the 17 powerbook, what gives?? Is this how Apple treats its online customers?? I live in Hawaii with no apple store to just walk into and buy it. Oh well I will just keep waiting but I had to get that off my chest. So far this experience of waiting hasn't put any good thoughts about Apple into my swicthing.
aloha

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2003, 05:08 AM

The number of people that are "walking in" is VERY, VERY small compared to the number of people with orders. For every person that lucked into a unit from a retail store, there must be 10, 20, 30, 50 ... ??? people with pending orders.

Keep in mind that in most cases these people put their name on a waiting list at their retail location. I did so at my Apple store and the list was so long it will probably be May before they get to my name. You had the opportunity to put your name on a list with an Apple store(s) or an online retailer, etc..

I understand the frustration to some extent, but the truth is there's nothing sinister going on here. Chances are if you tried to put your name on a list, you would have been like me and still be waiting - probably for another month.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2003, 07:52 AM

With all due respect, I've yet to hear a positive word come out of your mouth since weeks ago when you were bashing Apple for not meeting their initial deadline of when they said the 17" PBs would be out. No sympathy here.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2003, 09:18 AM

Yup, agreed wutg AssassyN. And in all likelyhood, shipment to web orders and to stores are likely to be evenly distributed. If they were really giving preference to stores don't you think they would ship them more than 2 or 3 (and yes, I realize some stores got more than that).

Furthermore, machines that are non-BTO come off the assembly line first, and the stores only sell non-BTO. And if you're really that impatient, go bug CompUSA in Hawaii, they sell Apples too.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

jasong
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 09:22 AM

Also, those people who are "just walking in and getting their powerbooks" also had to wait 8 weeks for them to show up. Anyway, they are just the lucky ones.

I must be a different kind of Apple customer, I don't take everything they do as a personal affront against me.

-- Jason

bbales
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 10:27 AM

Jojomana -- I do live by an Apple store (actually there are two in reasonable distance) -- and was actually ready to drop everything one day and buy my 12-inch at a store. But I wanted the bigger hard drive, so I couldn't -- it was a BTO only. On the days that I was waiting my order, it was SO HARD to see posts from people who just walked in and took one home that day. But I knew in the long run I wanted the 60 GB hard drive, so I just had to ... wait ... and wait ... and wait. It is so hard.

Apple will probably eventually get you a store. IT's just not there yet.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 10:33 AM

It's just the fact that we have a better chance of getting it early with online order from Apple then being on a list at a Apple store... There is a lot of more people from online order that got their Powerbooks already then those that got it at a Apple store... For those who did get theirs early at the store, good for them, they've waited long enough too on getting theirs, just like us. So I don't see anything wrong with them getting it. Because you never know, they might be on that list at the store since the day of the keynote. If not on that list, they've been waiting still for that long.
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Alphy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 10:39 AM

I would be anxious and frustrated too.. but hey.. you're getting one! Just think of how excited you will be once you have it in your lap errrm desk I mean.

I can only dream about one

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2003, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
With all due respect, I've yet to hear a positive word come out of your mouth since weeks ago when you were bashing Apple for not meeting their initial deadline of when they said the 17" PBs would be out. No sympathy here.
Hmm, you're right. I just went and read all his posts. He's a pretty negative guy!!!

Karim
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 12:07 PM

I put my name on the Apple Store list in Northridge after the keynote because I have always had luck getting the brand new models from them.

I waited the same amount of time as the first batch of shipments.

There is an Apple store coming to your neck of the woods at the Ala Moana center so soon enough you'll have the ability to put your name on a list and "just walk in"

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2003, 01:49 PM

for everyone a bit beefed over walk-ins getting PB17s while preorders are still waiting....

I pre-ordered in store to get the 10% discount on accessories.. Did anyone else do this? My main intent was to get the carrying case for the PB17 (amongst other things) at 10% off... if i have to wait a while -- then I can surive.
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

DJMike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 02:54 PM

Well,
I have to be honest. I have not been waiting that long prolly 4 weeks max.. I had a orderd from SCAM_AMAZON and got the run around like you would not believe. So i had called the apple store in NY by me and i was put on the list, Yesterday i was calling all of the resllers in my area and online (macwarehouse,outpost etc...)

All of a sudden the apple store calls me when im on the phone with Outpost checking order status they said they have one in stock for me and would i like to pick it up, I said are u sure you have the right person ? Im like 50 on the list i know there are alot of ppl in front of me. ( they said Yup your next ).

I know how everyone feels it really sux. ( i did hear that microcenter might get some shipments today and tommorw )

Ill be posting some photos and reviews..

baglunch
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Jacket:
for everyone a bit beefed over walk-ins getting PB17s while preorders are still waiting....

I pre-ordered in store to get the 10% discount on accessories.. Did anyone else do this? My main intent was to get the carrying case for the PB17 (amongst other things) at 10% off... if i have to wait a while -- then I can surive.
Due to lack of funds at the time, I was unable to preorder, so instead I got myself on the apple soho waiting list. They contacted me this morning, and after a 2 hour wait during lunch (got in trouble at work for this) I walked out with my 17" powerbook with 1 gb of ram. Now only if i can make it home without getting robbed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules