Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Kensington Turbo Mouse Problem

Kensington Turbo Mouse Problem
pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2005, 08:57 PM

After I got my newer computer (Quicksilver G4 800mgtz) running smoothly on 10.3.9 I decided to connect my old Kensington Turbo Mouse. I went to the Kensington site and downloaded and installed the most up to date firmware and although its listed in the System Preferences folio a dialogue informs that there is no such device connected. Since installing and connecting the device I tried all the proprietory OS X obligations such as restarts and Repair Disk Permissions. My Kensington Turbo Mouse works inasmuch that all four buttons can do the usual clicking and scrolling etc and the ball smoothly moves the cursor in any and all directions, but I would really prefer to get the full benefit of the device such as programmable functions etc. The device has an old ADB connector attached to a USB converter cable attaached to my Apple Pro USB Keyboard. I wondered if this might be be why System Preferences says that there is no such device connected ?

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by pcd2k
The device has an old ADB connector attached to a USB converter cable attaached to my Apple Pro USB Keyboard. I wondered if this might be be why System Preferences says that there is no such device connected ?
Correct!!! These converters never worked well with OS X. It's time to upgrade sorry to say.

pcd2k  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2005, 08:10 PM

Yes I have isolated the problem the converter cable is not a usb to adb, it is apparently a usb to ps2 cable converter. The ps2 connector is identical to an adb connector, the problem is that the ps2 connector is wired differently than the adb connector. Went down to the Apple store and found that the new usb kensington turbo mice are only about $100 AUS, which is clearly affordable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules