Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook dropped. Damage to outer casing, corner of screen, & touchpad. Need advice.

MacBook dropped. Damage to outer casing, corner of screen, & touchpad. Need advice.
artwill872
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2009, 12:24 AM

I dropped my closed MacBook from about 3 feet onto a hard surface. Looking at the laptop while it is open, the top right corner of the aluminum casing is bent inward and the part of the screen adjacent to it is cracked. The crack is about 3/4 inch and is just in the top right corner of the screen (the best way that I can describe the location is that the crack is on the outside of the actual display and on the black strip surrounding the display).

Also, when I press on the bottom left corner of the touchpad, it seems to stick.

It doesn't seem like anything else is wrong at this point.

I have apple care but I don't think they will cover this since it was an accident.

What are my options and what am I looking at cost wise for a repair?

Thanks.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 10, 2009, 01:07 AM

Trackpad around $50.
The display comes as a whole unit, i.e. you can't replace just the glass: around $600
I would estimate at least an hour of labor at shop rate.

And you are correct; AppleCare won't cover it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2009, 12:04 PM

That is a big bummer. AKcrab's estimate sounds about right... If it doesn't bother you a lot, just live with it. But I know it'd sure drive me crazy. If you fix it, perhaps you should check out something like the Speck SeeThru case for your MBP. I've had one on mine since day one, I would be scared to death of dropping it without.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2009, 06:29 PM

Laptops are road-warriors--those scars are honorably earned. Warriors are not ashamed of their scars.

Forum Links
Forum Rules