Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Rev. A vs. Rev. B iMac G5

Rev. A vs. Rev. B iMac G5
WizOSX
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2005, 05:20 PM

When everyone says Rev. A and Rev. B, do they mean the ones before and after the 512mb of RAM. Is that the way to tell the difference? The ones with 512 came after the beginning of May. Was there really an improvement in noise?

There are some incredible deals on the CDRW models right now ($1000 new for M9843LL/A). But I'd have to move immediately (next hour or so). Would you go for that?

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 12:30 AM

Everything was upgraded in the May iMacs except the screen resolutions, which are still the same as the new October iMacs.

The May iMacs are really nice. Apple Stores have some left over. Give them a call and see if one near you has one. They call them EOL (end of life). They have the 17" Combo for $999.

Really, the new iMacs (October) are only better if you need a remote (useless unless you are using it as a media center) and a built-in iSight.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

P
Oct 23, 2005, 07:11 AM

The big difference between the Rev A and Rev B is the graphics and what was included on the motherboard. The Rev Bs had a lot more included from the start. The difference between the Rev B and the Rev C is the graphics (from regular 9600 to Pro or XT - don't bother about the X600 stuff, it's the same as a 9600 on PCIe) and the iSight.

I'd get a 17" Rev B for $999 if I didn't already have a Rev A.

iamwiz82
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 10:01 AM

The refurb. store has 17" rev. Bs for $849. i picked one up and it was in perfect condition other than a slightly used mouse.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by iamwiz82
The refurb. store has 17" rev. Bs for $849. i picked one up and it was in perfect condition other than a slightly used mouse..
Unfortunately, the Canadian store doesn't sell refurbs and getting them here from the U.S. would be ridiculously expensive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules