Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Sharp edges

Macbook Sharp edges
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2007, 12:23 AM

I know I'm not alone, but any solutions for people that find the Macbook edges sharp BESIDES people telling me I'm typing wrong...

It's not so bad on a desk, but when I'm using it on my lap, OUCH.

I saw some products that seemed like it prevented this, but I wanted to see if anyone else has bought one and found it helpful.

What was your solution (again besides sarcasm, which I love but not as helpful)

bluedog
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 10:52 AM

I used 400grit sandpaper on the sharpness and it took the edge off. Just a little bit of light sanding can make it easier to handle. (all puns intended, and it works!)

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2007, 09:45 PM

Nice trick. I asked my wife (because we share the laptop) and she didn't like the idea of sanding...

Anyone else out there with a trick or some sort of macbook sharp edge protector?

ibook_steve
Oct 28, 2007, 03:08 AM

How big (or small) are your hands and how hard are you resting your hands (or wrists) on the edge?
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2007, 10:11 PM

Besides sanding and holding my hands different or getting smaller or bigger hands, I was looking for some cool trick, let buy (product A) and use that...

How much physical damage did the sanding do? Can you see it?

Did you sand the grey area at all or just the with part?

I found something called softpads by AVA that I bookmarked one day, but I go back and now they are gone.

I realize, it only hurts when I'm at Starbucks at a table... it feels okay on my lap or if its a bit lower than my street...

If I have the macbook at a normal table level, that is when I seem to feel it most.

I just miss the old clamshell with the great smooth feel and it seems most laptops don't have this issue... it just stinks since apple is usually so saavy.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 11:55 PM

Well, there are a variety of solutions that work to varying degrees:

1. Wrist pad protectors, such as AVA's softpads or PowerSupport's wrist wrags are supposed to protect the wrist rest area from discoloration, but they have the added benefit of cushioning those edges. There are several others sold on eBay that you might want to check out as well.

2. Laptop stands, such as the iLap or CoolPad, while designed primarily to improve airflow for the laptop, raise the back of the laptop causing it to slope downwards, reducing the contact between your wrists and the edge.

3. Low tech but cumbersome, use a wrist band.

4. Sanding, as suggested above, has been done by a number of people who want a more permanent approach.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2007, 03:23 AM

Haha.

I remember before getting mine, reading posts like this. I always thought, "Wow, these people are whiny."

Now...
I do NOT think that.
Sometimes, at the wrong angles, ouch, it'll really dig in.

applemacbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 01:17 PM

Definitely an uncomfortable issue, and I hope they take care of this sooner than later. I've found no practical long term solution to the problem so my only hope is that Apple will change the design to make the Macbooks more comfortable to use.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2007, 08:03 PM

I was thinking about getting the invisishield and simply rapping the palm rest piece over the edge of the MacBook. I am fairly confident that it will generate enough radius to reduce the pain considerably.

Actually, I order the invishield well over a month ago and haven't recieved it yet...So when i get their competitors product I will try this and let you know.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2007, 11:13 PM

Well, with the sanding you can do it lightly enough to just take off a little of the white edge and soften the area that affects you the most.

It is not noticeable by any reasonable inspection. If you make it a light enough pass of the paper and just on the edge where your wrists are likely to rest I wouldn't worry about it. You can always try practicing on a piece of plexiglass or something before you do your laptop. See how it appears when done. I softened the sanded edge and then with a soft cloth and a CD repair solution (basically a plastic polishing compound).

In the end I sanded a little more than you probably would. But I only notice it when directly comparing it side-by-side with the MacBook I have at work.

nickclarson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 10:35 AM

If you are one of those people who are detail oriented... the sandpaper trick sounds like the best idea. I am one for simplicity so I normally wouldn't go adding a bunch of peripherals when I didn't need too. Once you get it sanded down how you like with 400 grit, I would also recommend going over it with some finer grits. Maybe even up to 2000 if you can... that might get some of the polished look back into it and make it look nicer.

However for me, I have never had this problem... my hands sit in a way that doesn't put stress on the edges of the laptop. I also mostly use mine on my desk and I have an external keyboard.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 05:08 PM

external keyboard
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2007, 11:56 PM

Do you think that sanding a black MacBook with fine sandpaper would cause any discoloration?

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2007, 06:49 AM

Try the macally bookpad. It comes right up to the edge so alleviates the problem to some degree. Also, it feels really good.
BOOKPADB/W (Macally.com)

solmaker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2007, 07:35 PM

How would you compare the Macally BOOKPAD ($10) to the similar handrest that's part of the Marware Protection Pack? The Marware product costs more, but also comes with a neoprene sleeve ($35) and/or keyboard cover ($20). The Marware product link is:
Apple Laptop Products

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2007, 07:57 PM

I've done this to both my old white MacBook and my new black MacBook. The plastic is black, so no, you won't make it ugly. However, I recommend going to the drugstore and looking in the fingernail care products. There are some very fine grit emory board shaped nail stones which make the project a lot easier than sandpaper. The stiff, stones, won't flex like sandpaper so you only grid away the actual edge and avoid marring the surrounding flat surfaces. Use one of the fine polishing boards and you'll end up with a very nice result. You can't even see that I've done this to my black MacBook, but my wrists are a lot happier.

NB. Don't use your wife's or girlfriend's nail polishing equipment. The black plastic will embed itself into the stone and leave black stains in the polishing stones. You'll soon regret using her stuff. :0)
( Last edited by Guy Kuo; Nov 5, 2007 at 03:54 AM. )

dustrho
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2008, 10:01 PM

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I've noticed that base of my right hand hurts like hell after using my trackpad on my Macbook Pro. No part of my arms or hand hurt while typing, but if I'm simply surfing the net by only using the trackpad, I have these lines on my hand and they do hurt. It's almost as if they're just terribly irritated by rubbing on the sharp edge of the laptop.

Does ANYONE have pictures of their Macbooks and/or Macbook Pros after they sanded the edges down? I'm really thinking that's the only way to fix this problem, and if really makes things that much better than that's what I may end up doing to mine.

Hope to see some pictures soon.

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

jonswan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2008, 09:04 AM

I solved the situation completely by selling the ridiculous thing (and getting a Powerbook) and at the same time complaining vociferously to Apple that it was the mother of all idiotic design faults. I'm glad this issue won't go away as Apple seem to be continuing with the slashed wrist policy - as if computing has to be done whilst balancing yourself over a barbed-wire fence. Great.

And sandpapering never entered my head, seeing as the product should have been ready to be used out of the box. You wouldn't sand paper your car either, would you?

IF they do redesign the edges like the iBook then I'd get a Blackbook. Until then it's iMac and Powerbook 12 for me.
( Last edited by jonswan; Feb 25, 2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: extra info)

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 10:29 AM

When I owned a MB (for various other reasons I sold it and got a MBP) I thought the edges were too sharp. I opted not to sand it down, I thought that would effect the resale value so instead use a cloth to cover the edge. That seemed to work well enough. i also made sure the angle to which I used it was sufficient so I wasn't leaning too hard on the edges.

tthrivi79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2008, 11:40 PM

I just got a new Macbook, and was having the same issues as the other users. The trick of using a emory board, maybe 30 sec on each side improves the sharp edge, doesn't remove it completely, but is usable now. Just be careful to only get white plastic edge (not the grey plastic on top, or the polished front b/c it will scratch that and make a mark. Something like this should have been done at the factory, I would mark this up as a design flaw on apple's part...

theworldtrekker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2009, 07:32 PM

I was taking a small metal file to the edges on my Penryn macbook after finally having had enough of the beloved marks on the wrists when I decided to see who else has been affected by this and if there was a better solution.

It is sad that such simple user modifications are required for something that should have been done at the factory. But I'm beginning to expect this from Apple now, especially after finding out that to get bluetooth on an iPod touch requires you paying them an additional $10 when the hardware was there all along--yikes.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
I used 400grit sandpaper on the sharpness and it took the edge off. Just a little bit of light sanding can make it easier to handle. (all puns intended, and it works!)
Seconded. Works great and isn't noticeable at all, even with zero skill.

RichieZ
Mar 22, 2009, 01:21 AM

i have to say this is very annoying, glad to see i'm not the only person who is annoyed

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 22, 2009, 01:47 AM

How does this thread keep coming back!!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2009, 03:36 AM

I don't know, but sanding down any part of a MB or MBP is about as sensible to me as sanding down one's private parts!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2009, 04:00 PM

I use a laptop desk that has wrist wrests. I honestly have never noticed any sharp edges.

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by theworldtrekker View Post
I was taking a small metal file to the edges on my Penryn macbook after finally having had enough of the beloved marks on the wrists when I decided to see who else has been affected by this and if there was a better solution.

It is sad that such simple user modifications are required for something that should have been done at the factory. But I'm beginning to expect this from Apple now, especially after finding out that to get bluetooth on an iPod touch requires you paying them an additional $10 when the hardware was there all along--yikes.
I do find the sharp edges annoying, but I think I've gotten used to them.

As for the iPod touch, well, it's becoming a tradition to pay $10 for upgrades (although wasn't 1.2 $20
?).

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2009, 01:41 AM

Just got an aluminum MacBook Pro (the new 2009 15") and the edges are really, really sharp. Very painful after just minutes. I can't believe Apple let this case design go thru.

Since it's solid aluminum, I guess I can't sand it down so easily. Any solution for us aluminum unibody owners.

It's terrible!

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2009, 01:59 PM

OK, this is getting really bad. I cannot use the trackpad for surfing for more than a few minutes until my wrist and fingers start cramping. It's feels like carpal tunnel.

When typing, I end up with deep marks in the area below my wrist where the edge is cutting in. But using the trackpad is worse.

I never had any of these issues with my TiBook or iBook (toilet seat model). They both have soft, rolled edges on the front.

This is a beautiful laptop - fast, great keyboard, great screen. But this aluminum edge is really causing a big issue.

For those who say we're whining - honestly, how do you use the trackpad for web surfing without resting your wrist or the base of your thumb on that sharp edge?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2009, 03:24 PM

Ergonomically, resting your wrists anywhere while you're typing is a Bad Thing. Using a keyboard in a flat orientation is also not so great ergonomically. My wife uses a Targus X-Stand for the latter, and that makes the former a non-issue.

I'd hate to suggest that all these "fixes" are simply ways to make hurting yourself take longer or be more insidious, but it's true. Having your keyboard at the right height and angle, and keeping your hands above the keyboard instead of resting them anywhere, is THE way to both avoid even noticing that the Unibody case could be sharp AND stressing your wrists such that you'll be heading to an orthopedic surgeon.

fmalloy, I surf with a trackpad the same way I type: my hand stays above the computer and my finger or fingers touch the trackpad. You have some significant muscles in your shoulder, upper arm and forearm that are there specifically to support that hand-use them and you won't hurt your wrist.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2009, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
fmalloy, I surf with a trackpad the same way I type: my hand stays above the computer and my finger or fingers touch the trackpad. You have some significant muscles in your shoulder, upper arm and forearm that are there specifically to support that hand-use them and you won't hurt your wrist.
I understand the ergonomic recommendations. It's just hard for me to swallow. To type or use a trackpad with the wrists and forearms constantly floating/hanging in the air is not comfortable to me and it does not seem intuitive. It seems like I have to work to hold my arms/hands suspended in the air while my fingers type. I have been trying this for the past few mins (typing right now) and my wrists just want to rest on something. I suppose that is considered a bad habit, but it seems like it would be really tough to break.

To me, it's like saying you should be on your feet all day, and that it's not good to sit.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2009, 06:19 PM

What's probably causing you some difficulty is that your desk setup is not well built ergonomically for you. Most people slouch, and reach forward to get to the keyboard, necessitating the resting of the forearms and wrists to keep from sliding off the desktop and/or out of the chair. This is bad for the back, shoulders, arms, wrists and neck. They use just their fingers to type, rather than their whole hands, and find that the keys designated for the little fingers are hard to get at because of it. This is just bad ergonomics, and it's easy to fix.

Your feet should be planted on the floor and the chair height should allow both your ankles and knees to be at very close to 90º. Your back should be straight and your pelvis upright. Don't rest your arms on the chair's armrests-take 'em off if they get in your way! Your keyboard should be very close to you-close enough that your upper arms hang as close to straight down as possible. Angle the keyboard up at the back so that your fingers can reach every row without stretching or cramping (the X-Stand is great for this). The combination of having your trunk upright, supporting your arms, and your arms hanging at your sides, supporting your hands over the keyboard, will feel "different" for a bit, but your shoulders, neck and back will thank you after a very short time.

And it IS good to be on your feet all day, if the alternative is to sit badly. (I have done it for 10 hour days for months on end.) The best thing though is alternating between standing (with good posture) and sitting (also with good posture).

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2009, 06:53 PM

Hi Glenn,

Thank you so much for your help and consideration.

At work, I think I am ok and I think my setup is mostly ok. I don't have any back/neck/wrist pain. The issue is not with my work setup, but with my home setup. (I use a PC keyboard at work)

WIth the Mac, I read news, forums, etc. and surf the web in bed. So, I'm sitting up, with the Mac on my lap. SInce I am reading and surfing (not much typing at all), I spend most of the time using the trackpad to negotiate menus, bookmarks, scrolling, etc. While I am reading or using the trackpad, I rest my palm across the edge of the Mac, with the fingers resting on the trackpad or just above it.

During the resting or usage of the trackpad is where the pain and cramping happens, due to the edge cutting into the lower base of my thumb and across my palm. I had a TiBook before with a rounded/rolled off aluminum front edge and I never, ever had any pain or cramping in 7 years of doing this.

I suppose I could keep my hands at my sides in between, and hover my wrist over the trackpad when scrolling or selecting menus, but it does not feel good. Imagine laying in bed and hovering your wrists over your lap for an hour while you read.

I could totally understand that laptop usage in bed might be a big ergonomic no-no, but we have to be honest that at 10pm I do not want to sit at my desk with my back straight and a foot rest, etc. just to read the news before going off to sleep.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2009, 10:31 PM

In the posture you describe, the best thing I can think of is to have something like a washcloth laid over the part of the notebook's base that causes the discomfort. Of course nobody is going to have "great posture" 24/7, but working at it in settings where you spend a particularly long amount of time is very important. Lounging in bed with the machine on your lap should be relaxing, so this is an opportunity to adapt to the machine rather than adapting it. Cover the sharp edge and try not to rest across the edge and you should lose that discomfort.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2009, 01:14 PM

In the posture you describe, the best thing I can think of is to have something like a washcloth laid over the part of the notebook's base that causes the discomfort. Cover the sharp edge and try not to rest across the edge and you should lose that discomfort.
Thanks again, Glenn.

In using it last night and this morning, I am consciously trying not to rest my palm across the edge, and it seems to be a little better.

I tried putting a cloth folded over many times over the edge, but even that didn't really work.

I am considering this:

Rain Design iLap for 15-inch Notebooks - Apple Store (U.S.)

What do you think?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 21, 2009, 01:22 PM

That looks like an excellent idea. It will give you the right angle for the keyboard, lots of airflow, and I love that rounded, padded bottom treatment. Looks great, and it's not very expensive either. I'd say go for it.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2009, 01:25 PM

That looks like an excellent idea. It will give you the right angle for the keyboard, lots of airflow, and I love that rounded, padded bottom treatment. Looks great, and it's not very expensive either. I'd say go for it.
Thanks again Glenn, for all your help.

I'm going to see if they have it at the local Apple store so I can try it out before I buy it.

I still think that putting a sharp 90 degree aluminum edge on a laptop was a disappointing, terrible idea by Apple.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jul 21, 2009, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
Since it's solid aluminum, I guess I can't sand it down so easily. Any solution for us aluminum unibody owners.

It's terrible!
Aluminum is extremely soft. This is not billet titanium. This is aluminum. Think soda cans. As such, it is extremely easy to sand, polish, or carve a solid chunk into a MBP chassis. Get some sandpaper and a rubber sanding block. Spend 5 minutes on that front edge. Problem solved.

Amerkatz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mallrat View Post
I know I'm not alone, but any solutions for people that find the Macbook edges sharp BESIDES people telling me I'm typing wrong...

It's not so bad on a desk, but when I'm using it on my lap, OUCH.

I saw some products that seemed like it prevented this, but I wanted to see if anyone else has bought one and found it helpful.

What was your solution (again besides sarcasm, which I love but not as helpful)
For the record, I bought a MBP on Dec 7th 2009. The edges are sharp and very uncomfortable! I love the machine but I am very much in agreement with the said quote. There is no solution except get out those 1970's sweat wristbands (you know the ones, think The Harlem Globetrotters) and I do believe that I will be writing Apple to address this issue (I would be floored if this has not been done before) and who knows, maybe if they receive enough complaints they will offer a solution.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 10, 2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Amerkatz View Post
There is no solution except get out those 1970's sweat wristbands
Others have found the sanding solution to work pretty well. I do agree that the edges on the new unibodies are sharp in comparison to the past laptops. So far I have found it to be annoying but tolerable so I haven't tried sanding or other solutions. I can completely understand the complaints from others though and hope Apple will fix the problem in further laptops.

Also the solutions to change a person's hand position isn't that great of a solution IMO because it sounds like people didn't have this problem until the unibodies came. I know I never did so why should people adjust when it wasn't a problem before. If Apple introduced the problem it should be their responsibility to solve it. I'm using my laptop the exact same way I did in the past and the unibodies are the only ones that have noticeable sharp edges. Anyway for me it's just a tolerable annoyance but I have sympathy for others who find it painful. Hopefully Apple will fix their design. Just enough roundness on the edges will do it. There's no need for drastic earth shattering changes.

freudling
Banned
Dec 10, 2009, 10:15 PM

I wrote about the sharp edges at length when the unibodies first shipped. While I love the MacBooks/Pros, the sharp edges have always been the achilles heel. What I have concluded is that Apple leaves them as sharp edges because they don't want to add to the manufacturing process. I inspeceted the casing and I don't see any edge on the aluminum that has been sanded. All of the edges on the case are the result of being cut by the machine. But they have not been sanded. I don't know why Apple doesn't sand them all down. This would provide them with 2 benefits. First, the entire case would look more uniform and streamlined, adding to the overall positive aesthetic of the unibody design. Second, it would feel much better from a user perspective.

Instead, sharp edges abound. Wrists with sharp indentations on them; sharp, ice pick like ends on the "latch" indentation, etc.

Bad design. It affects me everyday.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2009, 10:29 PM

Looks great + Bad ergonomics = Apple design

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 10, 2009, 10:36 PM

If any portion of your hand or wrist contacts the computer while you type, then sadly you are "doing it wrong." Typing safely require the hands to "float" over the keyboard, with nothing resting on the keyboard, "palmrests" or anything else. As I said when this thread was fresh, complaints about the sharp edges are simply because people are using their MBPs and MBs un-ergonomically. Discomfort from these sharp edges is self-inflicted and the fix is to "type right" with your hands not touching anything but the keys as you strike them.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2009, 10:42 PM

True, but given that laptops are usually used on top of regular height tables and desks, they are usually way above the neutral position for a persons wrists, meaning that your arms are going to be under considerable strain to float your hands over the keyboard.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 10, 2009, 10:55 PM

If you actually put it on your lap, that wouldn't be the case. But you can also find all sorts of devices that let you set notebooks at an appropriate height and angle for long-term typing. You just have to be attentive and do a little planning.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2009, 10:58 PM

But you can also find all sorts of devices that let you set notebooks at an appropriate height and angle for long-term typing. You just have to be attentive and do a little planning.
Sure, but those all *elevate* the notebook. The appropriate height is usually *below* the surface you're typing on.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2009, 11:01 PM

Why are all these old-ish threads being revived?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 10, 2009, 11:41 PM

If any portion of your hand or wrist contacts the computer while you type, then sadly you are "doing it wrong." Typing safely require the hands to "float" over the keyboard, with nothing resting on the keyboard, "palmrests" or anything else. As I said when this thread was fresh, complaints about the sharp edges are simply because people are using their MBPs and MBs un-ergonomically. Discomfort from these sharp edges is self-inflicted and the fix is to "type right" with your hands not touching anything but the keys as you strike them.
Textbook correct techniques don't always work in real life. I've used many laptops in my lifetime and the unibodies are the only ones that have this problem. Sure you can tell me that I'm doing it wrong but that still doesn't change the fact that I never had a problem until the unibodies came.

If you actually put it on your lap, that wouldn't be the case. But you can also find all sorts of devices that let you set notebooks at an appropriate height and angle for long-term typing. You just have to be attentive and do a little planning.
Putting it on my lap is not always possible especially when I want to use a mouse and always bringing something to set it on kind of loses the quick get up and go portability I like from laptops.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 11, 2009, 07:24 AM

The issue is not the design of the machine as much as the way we accept sub-optimal furniture and workstation designs. There are tons of ways people can adapt their environments to be able to use keyboards and laptops without damaging themselves. If using a mouse with a laptop on your lap, sit next to a desk that's an appropriate height. Eschew "fashionable" furniture that uses odd heights and uncomfortable angles. Adjust your chair height to fit the desk height, and do what you can to make sure your feet are supported and that you're not going to slip out of the chair-keeping ankles, knees and hips at 90º angles is the most effective and comfortable way to do that. It's not hard and it's certainly not brain surgery, but it does take looking at your surroundings differently.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 11, 2009, 02:29 PM

The issue is not the design of the machine as much as the way we accept sub-optimal furniture and workstation designs. There are tons of ways people can adapt their environments to be able to use keyboards and laptops without damaging themselves. If using a mouse with a laptop on your lap, sit next to a desk that's an appropriate height. Eschew "fashionable" furniture that uses odd heights and uncomfortable angles. Adjust your chair height to fit the desk height, and do what you can to make sure your feet are supported and that you're not going to slip out of the chair-keeping ankles, knees and hips at 90º angles is the most effective and comfortable way to do that. It's not hard and it's certainly not brain surgery, but it does take looking at your surroundings differently.
I understand what you are saying but adjusting your environment isn't always possible. With my desk at home I have full control over my environment so I have it adjusted to be ergonomic and comfortable. The benefit of a laptop is that it's portable so I can bring it anywhere but because of this there are many locations outside of the office that what you suggest is either impractical or impossible to do. For example, many places I go to don't have adjustable chairs and most desks aren't work desks but rather just plain tables with no adjustability whatsoever. Sometimes I don't even have a chair.

It's also not my property and I don't think it's proper etiquette to go moving and adjusting my client's property as if I owned it. Also I don't stay in each area long because it's not a sit in one place for hours work office desk environment. I'm out on location and the location changes daily so I have to take what I can get and sometimes I don't even have a table to work on. Of course if I can adjust things to make myself more comfortable then I'll do it but what I'm saying is that it's not always practical or possible to get ideal ergonomics when using a laptop outside of an office desk environment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules