Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Hard Drive Upgrade Problem

Macbook Hard Drive Upgrade Problem
KurtNZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2008, 04:24 PM

I've just upgraded my hard drive in my macbook from the 120gig hdd to a western digital scorpio 320gig hdd, I used superduper to copy the discs and I partitioned the drive ad GUID but when I try and boot up with the new drive it gets stuck on the white loading screen with the apple and the spinning thing. I've left it to load in that state for a good 15 - 20 mins and it doesn't progress.

Any body got any ideas?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2008, 04:26 PM

Try repairing permissions on the new drive in case super duper messed them up in the cloning process.

If that fails, try booting in verbose mode to see where it gets stuck.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2008, 01:46 PM

Usually, things go much better, but if your drive is giving you trouble, a slightly more extensive prep sequence is called for.

First, boot from the original drive and then (as already mentioned) use Disk Utility to fix permissions on your original drive.

Erase the new drive WITH the zeroing out of the entire drive surface option (not just the free space). This will ensure force all sectors of the new drive to undergo at least one write cycle and have a chance to spare out any bad sectors. That will take about an hour.

Repartition the new drive using a GUID partition table as you previously did

Finally, clone the old drive to the old drive using SuperDuper

KurtNZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2008, 04:11 PM

I'll give that a go tonight.

I did boot up in verbose mode yesterday and it seemed to be okay apart from when it finished booting it was extremely slow as in when I hovered over the icons in the dock it would take 5 mins to magnify them and just sat there with the spinning umbrella.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2008, 03:31 AM

Do the whole thing again, but this time do it right. IOW forget SuperDuper, CCC, etc. Many reports of bugs in the past. Instead use Apple's solid built-in cloning tool (asr) in Disk Utility > Restore. You will find it in your Utilities folder or on the installer DVD (check the menu).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Do the whole thing again, but this time do it right. IOW forget SuperDuper, CCC, etc. Many reports of bugs in the past. Instead use Apple's solid built-in cloning tool (asr) in Disk Utility > Restore. You will find it in your Utilities folder or on the installer DVD (check the menu).
What kind of problems? I have used (the latest version) of SuperDuper! many times and it seems to work fine.

The times I've had problems is after a fresh OS update, and the latest version of the software doesn't fully support it yet.

I'm not saying problems don't occur with the latest supported versions. I'm just wondering what they are, so I can look out for them.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2008, 11:31 AM

I've seen many reports of botched SD clones all over the web. Even on this board a while back. There were a couple of serious bugs in previous CCC versions.

When it comes to cloning and backing up people shouldn't take unnecessary risks. asr is rock stable and included with every Mac for free.

KurtNZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2008, 04:21 PM

Yeah it must be an underlying problem with the hard drive none of those worked so I'm going to send it back today

Forum Links
Forum Rules