Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook CD/DVD Drive problems

MacBook CD/DVD Drive problems
ElementR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2008, 09:00 PM

I have a c2d MacBook and the disc drive will not burn cds and will only occasionally ready cds. i can read and burn dvds fine. I have reset the pram and done every thing else i have read to date. The computer is out of warranty and the only thing i can figure is to replace the drive.

In the system profiler it says i have a "UJ-857D" however all i can find on the internet is UJ-857C, UJ-857CA, and UJ-857S. My question is can i just take out my old drive and replace it with one of these? This is my first apple so im not sure if this will work.

I greatly appreciate any and all help.

EmericanPatriot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2008, 12:44 AM

Not sure about the replacement drive but MacBooks are notorious for having sensitive optical drives, your problem is most likely due to a faulty one.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 01:22 AM

My new MacBook's optical drive seems to have died just today. Luckily, I'm still under warranty.

Does anyone know whether I can get the optical drive swapped out under warranty by an Service Center, or will it have to be sent back to the Mothership?

Thanks!

ElementR  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2008, 06:24 PM

yeah i figured it was dead...

anyone know if i can just swap it out with another model though?

Forum Links
Forum Rules