Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Home Theater Advice

Home Theater Advice (Page 2)
Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 2, 2011, 04:56 PM

Obviously everything has yet to be calibrated. This is at the brightest part of the day in a room with west-facing windows and simple blinds closed.
( Last edited by Laminar; Jun 2, 2014 at 01:58 PM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2011, 05:13 PM

Looks like it's the curtains for those windows.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2011, 05:43 PM

One piece of advice, not sure if any one suggested it yet.

Build in ventilation behind the wall unit that will hold your receiver. If the projector will be fully enclosed to in the ceiling, same thing applies. A few small vents with a fan should be enough to keep the equipment from over heating. I can't tell if your plans are to enclose all that behind a door. If it stays open as such now then you should be ok. Im assuming your going to have it behind a door so the lights of the devices does not interfere with watching movies.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 2, 2011, 11:08 PM

Stay out of my thread.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2011, 03:21 AM

Make me....

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Stay out of my head.
You should make a little opening video to roll before any movie is allowed to play on your system. Like the MGM lion but with your head 'shopped in instead of the lion, or the Tristar pegasus with your head like a pega-centaur (or the Columbia lady liberty-ish one might be good too). Like this guy:

mgm the real lion - YouTube

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2011, 08:13 AM

I'll likely be going the DIY route on acoustic panels. I'm planning on "Superchunk" corner bass traps in the room's three usable corners, the underside of all of the soffits will get 1" Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass board, and the walls will have several acoustic panels made with 2" OC703.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2011, 11:44 AM

Two new circuits wired in from the main box, one for electronics and one for lights. All but two of the recessed lights are installed and all wiring is run to the switch box and is ready to be hooked up. I need to finish up some trim and repair some drywall and I'll be ready for paint. Then I can tear out the carpet, build the riser for the second row of seating and I'll be ready for carpet.

Then I'll finish off the screen wall and install some acoustic treatments. That should about do it...
( Last edited by Laminar; Jun 2, 2014 at 01:58 PM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2011, 01:54 PM

Lookin really good.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2011, 07:02 PM

It looks promising, but I am reserving final judgement for the final product. Wont know if it will look good or cheap until then.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2011, 07:20 PM

No seriously. Out.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2011, 09:03 PM

I graciously accept your invitation to stay. Thank you very much, I am humbled.

andi*pandi
Sep 7, 2011, 09:51 PM

I'm really impressed with all the planning this wiring and building must take. Home Depot must love you.

kittonian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2011, 10:26 PM

Really looks like you're doing a fantastic job. Having just built a home theater myself a few years ago I know what I headache it can be to do it right. I know you said you were going to go the DIY route on the acoustic treatment but if I might suggest another route, I think you'll end up much happier in the long run.

There's a company called Primacoustic out of Canada that makes some of the finest room treatment available. They are expensive but their effectiveness is second to none. I invested almost $10k in room treatment from them and am really thrilled with the results. My room measures almost completely flat with quite a large sweet spot. The ceiling cloud we installed made a world of difference too!
Joshua Aaron
President/CEO
Mac Genius - Apple Macintosh & IT Consulting
http://www.macgenius.com

reader50
Administrator
Sep 8, 2011, 02:26 AM

Laminar, when the thread started you had picked out a 7.2 audio system. Are you sticking with that?

What I'm thinking is while the room is still roughed out, you might allow for a 9.2 system in the future. Plot out the extra/revised locations, and pull all needed wiring.

Also, you could leave a location and outlet for a beer launching fridge.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
I invested almost $10k in room treatment from them and am really thrilled with the results.
10k in room treatment for a home-built theatre room? Sure it's important, but might possibly be more than Laminar has invested in the entire theatre room, top to bottom. Unless he's also sticking 10k of high-end audio equipment in there - and he's not - it would be ludicrous to spend anywhere near that kind of money on room treatment IMO. A grand or two, sure...at most.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'll likely be going the DIY route on acoustic panels. I'm planning on "Superchunk" corner bass traps in the room's three usable corners, the underside of all of the soffits will get 1" Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass board, and the walls will have several acoustic panels made with 2" OC703.
Sounds like you've got it covered.
(No pun intended, but one came out anyway.)
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2011, 08:25 AM

I'm hoping those treatments will help get rid of the bass dead zone in the center of my room. If not, I might have to get more drastic.
( Last edited by Laminar; Jun 2, 2014 at 01:59 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2011, 12:17 PM

Sorry, missed some of the important info at the beginning. You said the room is 22'x20'? That's a bit too square for even bass. No wonder you have a dead zone in the center, you probably have a wicked mode response going on and have exaggerated bass on the outside seating areas too. The traps and room treatments will probably help, but you might also need some EQ like the Behringer DSP1124 (@$100 from most places).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Sorry, missed some of the important info at the beginning. You said the room is 22'x20'? That's a bit too square for even bass. No wonder you have a dead zone in the center, you probably have a wicked mode response going on and have exaggerated bass on the outside seating areas too. The traps and room treatments will probably help, but you might also need some EQ like the Behringer DSP1124 (@$100 from most places).
The full room is 19'x15', the false wall is about 18" off of the main wall. The first row of seating is 10' from the screen, which puts it about halfway between the front and rear walls, which from what I'm reading is not the ideal place for bass response. We'll see how much it changes with new carpet, bass treatments, and furniture.

But yes, I'm definitely getting the exaggerated bass around the outside of the room, most noticeable when standing directly under each soffit's front face.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2011, 02:53 PM

A suggestion for one set of your seats for good control. Much easier to deal with then remotes.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2011, 04:09 PM

I advise against touch-screens for home theater purposes. You want to be looking at the screen, not down at your armrest.

hayesk
Sep 9, 2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I advise against touch-screens for home theater purposes. You want to be looking at the screen, not down at your armrest.
Agreed.

For watching TV, you need at least physical buttons for volume, channel (including numbers), and guide navigation.

For watching movies you need physical buttons for volume, play, pause, forward, back, slow motion.

So with all those buttons, what's left other than source selection. I say get a Harmony remote from Logitech.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2011, 12:39 PM

Also, when the technology becomes obsolete or incompatible with whatever system you have, you now have a chair with an integrated piece of uselessness.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Agreed.

For watching TV, you need at least physical buttons for volume, channel (including numbers), and guide navigation.

For watching movies you need physical buttons for volume, play, pause, forward, back, slow motion.

So with all those buttons, what's left other than source selection. I say get a Harmony remote from Logitech.
I agree, but make sure it can control the cursor too (I'm not familiar with Harmony remotes, do they control the cursor?). Hardware buttons are really great until there's that one thing you want to do that wasn't pre-planned for. Having cursor control is an easy catch-all, and you still don't have to look down to use it.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2011, 10:44 PM

Lighting installed and wired up.

No flash picture with screen lights on.

Recessed lighting, speaker holder, and new switches installed.

Remote power inputs for the projector and subs wired and installed.

Fresh wall paint.

Fresh ceiling paint still drying.

No flash.

Room cleaned up a bit.

No flash, movie mode with side lights at half and screen lights off.

Rope lighting in the soffits.

( Last edited by Laminar; Jun 2, 2014 at 02:00 PM. )

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2011, 11:29 PM

You need a Star Trek style twin sliding doors that automatically open and close to enter the room that plays a swoosh sound out of a speaker

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2011, 06:22 AM

Brilliant stuff.

I'd pick a warmer grey paint though. That blue-grey looks a bit battleship IMO.

andi*pandi
Sep 12, 2011, 11:35 AM

Looks good! Maybe he's got some nice curtains picked out that match that blue FA.

Re the doorway: A pocket door might give better sound/light insulation than a curtain, but have no idea how hard it would be or even if it would fit in with Lam's master plan.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2011, 12:13 PM

I thought I recognized these pics. (I visit AVS.) It's looking good!
BTW you must have made some coin from the Kawasaki to afford this build!
45/47

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2011, 02:27 PM

I probably broke even considering how much restoration cost. I'll call it a forced savings plan.

kittonian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
10k in room treatment for a home-built theatre room? Sure it's important, but might possibly be more than Laminar has invested in the entire theatre room, top to bottom. Unless he's also sticking 10k of high-end audio equipment in there - and he's not - it would be ludicrous to spend anywhere near that kind of money on room treatment IMO. A grand or two, sure...at most.
I had no idea what his actual budget was so I was relaying my own recent experience. I think the gear total for ours was somewhere around $40k including the wiring.
Joshua Aaron
President/CEO
Mac Genius - Apple Macintosh & IT Consulting
http://www.macgenius.com

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2011, 04:06 PM

Have you considered glowing kittens for lighting treatment?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
I had no idea what his actual budget was so I was relaying my own recent experience. I think the gear total for ours was somewhere around $40k including the wiring.
Yes, clearly your gear was too expensive to bother reading this thread at all before talking about it. Or maybe you wouldn't be recommending "room treatment" that's probably double the cost of his entire project?

Moving on.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2011, 10:37 AM

Man, I wish I were as handy at DIY as you are Lammy. Nice job.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2011, 10:42 AM

I approve.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 10:47 AM

Also love the dropped-soffits ceiling - hides the projector perfectly. Colour wouldn't be my choice but that's an easy fix down the road if you ever get bored of it. Question re: the audio setup - what's up with the dual subs? Hahaha, not overkill, or do you just love bass? :o

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2011, 11:11 AM

Tip for Lammy with the subs: Put them where your chair is. Fire the system up, play some stuff. Move your head around in the vicinity of where you think they're going to live. Where your head is when it sounds best is where you should put them.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 13, 2011, 12:33 PM

Question re: the audio setup - what's up with the dual subs?
The original post shows he went for a 7.2 sound system. There's also a 9.2 audio standard. Sounds like dual subs are the wave of the future.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The original post shows he went for a 7.2 sound system. There's also a 9.2 audio standard. Sounds like dual subs are the wave of the future.
and a pain in the ass. It's great when you can set them in the same corner, but in separate locations you often need some good EQ and traps to tame the spikes.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2011, 12:54 PM

Are shakers included in the 7.x numbering scheme?

reader50
Administrator
Sep 13, 2011, 01:00 PM

The first number is the number of speakers. The number after the period is the number of subs. They're not fully counted because they are not separate channels. Instead, the low frequencies are extracted from the real channels and rerouted to the subs. A hypothetical 5.4 system would have 5 speakers and 4 subs.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2011, 02:26 PM

Also love the dropped-soffits ceiling - hides the projector perfectly. Colour wouldn't be my choice but that's an easy fix down the road if you ever get bored of it. Question re: the audio setup - what's up with the dual subs? Hahaha, not overkill, or do you just love bass? :o
Too much is just right.

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Tip for Lammy with the subs: Put them where your chair is. Fire the system up, play some stuff. Move your head around in the vicinity of where you think they're going to live. Where your head is when it sounds best is where you should put them.
Brilliant. I will be trying this.

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
There's some arguing over what constitutes true 7.2 - "purists" say you have to have separate left and right sub channels for it to be called 7.2, otherwise it's just 7.1 with two subs. In my case, my receiver has dual sub outputs, but I believe they're identical signals.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 02:50 PM

As a functional unit if you have space, not only will it allow for enough popcorn on demand when you have guests but the smell from it making in the room will add to the movie experience of a theater.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 13, 2011, 02:51 PM

I'm curious myself why the industry is going to multiple subs. Is it for more bass power, or can people actually tell where low frequencies come from? ie - so you need left and right sources.

I'd long thought we went to a separate subwoofer because people could not trace the source. So one good big woofer, and all the other speakers become more manageable (smaller, lighter).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2011, 03:24 PM

An engineer who can actually build things? My head just exploded!

Excellent work Laminar, soffit lighting is a nice touch and I love the 'stage' area under the projector screen. If you need to fly anyone out to Iowa and pay them handsomely to build some custom cabinetry I'm your man! Hehe, in all seriousness you seem to have a pretty solid grasp on carpentry and I'm sure that room is going to look amazing when it is done.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
An If you need to fly anyone out to Iowa and pay them handsomely to build some custom cabinetry I'm your man!
Also, if you have a zombie problem.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2011, 03:54 PM

I hope you play this when it's all done.

DTS Intro HD - YouTube

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2011, 03:58 AM

Your theater room is bigger than my whole flat here in Hong Kong.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Your theater room is bigger than my whole flat here in Hong Kong.
...and his entire house costs...4 times less....

Forum Links
Forum Rules