Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Couple dumb questions about Wallstreet...

Couple dumb questions about Wallstreet...
Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2006, 08:05 PM

Hi all,

I have an OLD WallStreet Powerbook G3 I picked up for my daughter to play around with. I have a couple of questions...

1. Does the card slot on the left take the same kinds of cards that my Titanium Powerbook uses? The slot seems to be a lot thicker than the one of my Tibook.

2. Just above the slot on the Wallstreet are two buttons and a symbol between them, what the hell do those buttons do? Sorry it's such a dumb question...

I'm using a very nice, very inexpensive Dell wireless card on my Tibook, I'd like to use the same one on the Wallstreet if it will accept the same card. I've read about type 2 and type 3 cards, cardbus, PCI cards, PCMCIA cards, I'm so confused.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Madison View Post
I have an OLD WallStreet Powerbook G3 I picked up for my daughter to play around with. I have a couple of questions...

1. Does the card slot on the left take the same kinds of cards that my Titanium Powerbook uses? The slot seems to be a lot thicker than the one of my Tibook.

2. Just above the slot on the Wallstreet are two buttons and a symbol between them, what the hell do those buttons do? Sorry it's such a dumb question...

I'm using a very nice, very inexpensive Dell wireless card on my Tibook, I'd like to use the same one on the Wallstreet... Tom
1-Yes it takes the same kind of cards. The slot is thicker to allow two cards that are thin enough (Type II?) to be used at the same time. Or one thicker (Type III?) card. TiBooks and AlBooks only have a slot for one of the thinner cards.

2-If I recall, the two buttons are to separately eject the upper and lower cards.

Note that physically and electronically the Dell card should fit, but in addition the •OS version, •RAM, •card software, •CPU speed and perhaps also •browser must also meet the card's specs.

-Allen Wicks

Madison  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2006, 04:58 AM

Thank you! I appreciate the reply, that explains it!

Tom

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 05:49 AM

Just as a little added note, Type I cards are 3.3mm, Type II is 5mm, and Type III is 10mm. Type III and I cards are not very common, but Type II is.

A Type III slot will take two Type I or II cards.

Forum Links
Forum Rules