Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone cases

iPhone cases
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2008, 07:38 AM

I saw a thread about the iPod touch cases, so here this one is. I just bought this from Amazon:

DLO Case

I met a person at the ATT store today with one and it was rock solid. The phone didn't move around inside the case at all, unlike the cheap case I tried out.

What's everyone using?

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2008, 11:51 AM

I don't use a case since I found the phone to be quite durable on its own if treated reasonably. In fact, the biggest scratches on my phone were *from* a case. That was because small particles of whatever would get caught between the case and the phone creating a much bigger gouge than one could ever achieve by simply brushing it up against something.

Though, I have to say this case looks interesting since it appears that the way the case makes contact with the phone is through these little silicone dots. It looks like there is enough space in between them so that dust wont get caught so this might be a winner.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 12:25 PM

I have an Incipio dermaSHOT skin right now that I will be returning to the AT&T store once I get a couple cases in a few weeks (I'm reviewing them, so they're free).

I like this one: http://www.senacases.com/Brands/iPho...-FOR-iPHONE-3G

I'm a fan of non-rubber, non-plastic cases. I want something that's comfortable to hold, but the silicone/rubber ones get all linty and cat-hairy, so I'm not a big fan of them.

I'll let you know if the Sena case is any good...$42 is a decent price for a leather case, considering that a lot of silicone or plastic cases are $20-$30.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2008, 12:55 PM

I use a skin: bestskinsever.com. Hard to put on the phone, but once you get it, you don't even think about it. I got it because the phone is really very slippery.

From there, I alternate between just putting it in my pocket or using DLO's Nylon Hipcase.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 01:24 PM

I've had the Speck PixelSkin case (black) for a few months. I like it except that now it's a little loose.

What I like about it is that it covers all the buttons and makes them easier to press (and softer too). It's real easy to hold, though a bit bulky. I really can't hold the iPhone without a case - it's too slick for my dry hands, and I feel like I'm going to drop it.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS...1&s=topSellers

I may try the Incase:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TQ...2&s=topSellers
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2008, 03:14 PM

I recommend bestskinsever too. The plastic eventually needs to be replaced, but they're cheap.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Kfunk
Dec 30, 2008, 05:10 PM

Nothing beats the iSkin Revo (and i've looked at many).

1st Gen
http://www.iskin.com/revo_overview.h...FRdinAodZ1aaCg

3G
http://www.iskin.com/revo2_overview.html

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2008, 05:55 PM

Kfunk:

Do you have the Revo2? I didn't like the first one because the rubber interfered with the space-bar of my keyboard. Does this one have the same thick rubber down in that area?

Otherwise, nice find - I really like the look of this case.

Kfunk
Jan 1, 2009, 07:27 PM

I have the first one. Now that you mention it, the casing kind of gets in the way of the space bar but not so much that it's a problem for me. Haven't seen the Revo2 in person. I looked at a lot a cases and this one looks the best, imo.

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2009, 10:41 AM

I was using a Griffin hard case, but the faux leather cover started peeling and also any grit that got into it really gets a chance to do some damage, so now I just go commando. Though I do find the phone harder to hold onto now.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2009, 12:47 PM

MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2009, 01:23 PM

Flick inside of an iPocketWallet.

Oh, and anti-glare film.
( Last edited by Ted L. Nancy; Jan 2, 2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added the film.)
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2009, 02:59 PM

I have special, custom cases for every pair of pants and jackets I own. Over 16 months of everyday use and my iPhone's in great shape!

Carla V.
Jan 4, 2009, 10:51 PM

Hey there, I just got a new iPod and I think I learned the lesson from the last time I used cases, NO more hard cases this time. From what I've seen, soft skins are way better to keep ipods and other Mac devices safe, hard cases ruin the painting and ultimately are more cost than benefit... I'd give a special warning about Speck cases... those are a threat to your ipods cute everlasting surface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules