Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > System freeze when screensaver runs (pulling out hair)

System freeze when screensaver runs (pulling out hair)
jaizon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2007, 11:40 AM

I installed Leopard and the 1.5.1 update, but anytime I let the computer go into screensaver mode it locks up after a few minutes, sometimes I can hit return and it will jump back to a regular screen and keep working, but most of the time it is just frozen and I have to cold boot to restart. All apps that I've tried seem to work fine. Am I going to have to live with this until Apple fixes it or does anyone have some kind of fix? I am not very computer literate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Model Name: Power Mac G5
Model Identifier: PowerMac7,2
Processor Name: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.4f0

Thanks,
Jackie

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2007, 02:37 PM

Which screensaver are you using... or doesn't it make any difference? I know that the photos screensaver in "mosaic" mode can get extremely slow and unresponsive, especially if pointed at a directory with a large enough number of pictures.

jaizon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2007, 03:02 PM

I have tried four or five different ones, including the all black screen one. All the same.

I did have to change my video card about a year ago. Now using a
ATI Radeon 9600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV351
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4150
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A73503-202
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Display Connector:

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2007, 07:51 PM

Turn the screensaver off.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2007, 09:00 PM

It'd probably be more enlightening for you to look at your console logs rather than your system profiler to get an idea of what may be going on here. Even if you've got a hardware problem, it's not going to be staring out at us from the specs.

isrealmathew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2007, 08:51 AM

I seem to be experiencing a similar, if not the same, issue...

I came home from work today and found that the computer had frozen a couple hours before I got home (I could tell because I have the time displaying while the screensaver is on)

I could bring up the Force Quit dialog and even use the "Desktop" function from Expose to see the desktop... but the screensaver image was still frozen on top with nothing able to be clicked except for the Force Quit dialog... which obviously did nothing after a relaunch of Finder.

The only way to to get the system back was to hold power for a few seconds & restart.

I've been using the Hyperspace screensaver for the last 9 days without issue... I changed back to the collage display style using an event from iPhoto (which I'd been using since Leopard came out) and found that the screensaver had frozen again except that with a small delay the computer responded & the frozen screensaver image disappeared. (It only had three images on the collage so it must have only lasted a few minutes before freezing)

Not sure why it started doing this. I'm unaware of anything I've changed. Very odd. Hoping it doesn't happen again.

1.66 GHz Mac Mini, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.5.1

isrealmathew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2007, 09:02 AM

I've even noticed the same freeze within the preview window within the "Desktop & Screen Saver" Preferences panel... As I say, odd. Seen this twice now.

It seems unrelated but I had added more pictures to my iPhoto library last night and & I do use an iPhoto Event for my desktop background... which changes every half-hour... Would the random desktop change have any bearing on the screensaver?

kaydeim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 01:09 PM

I'm having the exact same problem described here, but mine started after attempting to Flash another ATI card in the PCI slot of my machine. I ran the "Easy Install" option in the ROM updater file that I downloaded from ATI figuring if there was a new ROM for my 9600 Pro there was no reason not to go ahead and update it too. After all this started, I check the ROM updating software and it doesn't even show to support my 9600 Pro yet it is the file that is linked on the ATI support website for ROM updates.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone found a fix...

Forum Links
Forum Rules