Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod size comparison

iPod size comparison
wdale
May 13, 2003, 04:49 AM

Hi, I was thinking of buying one of the old 10GB iPods, I was just wondering, are the new 15GB iPods thinner than the old 10GB one or the same size?

Thanks

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 13, 2003, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by wdale:
Hi, I was thinking of buying one of the old 10GB iPods, I was just wondering, are the new 15GB iPods thinner than the old 10GB one or the same size?

Thanks
Actually, the new 30 GB iPods are smaller and lighter than the old 10 GB models. The new 15's are smaller than that again.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 13, 2003, 07:25 AM

Take a look here: Click Here for lots of pics comparing the old with the new.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2003, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by wdale:

Thanks
Macworld.com, via Pricegrabber, provides a chart comparison between all the models of the 2nd and 3rd generation iPods:

The 2nd generation 10GB iPod is 4.0"H x 2.4"W x 0.72"D, and weighs 6.5 oz.

The 3rd generation 15GB iPod is 4.0"H x 2.4"W x 0.62" D, and weighs 5.6 oz.

I got a chance to compare these models, and although the new iPods look smaller overall, they're only thinner by 0.1", and the other dimensions are the same. I think they look smaller because of the rounded edges, which are more squared in the 1st 2 generations.

BTW, I was planning on buying a new 30GB iPod, until today - Target is closing out the 10GB 2nd generation iPods for half-price - marked down from $399 to $199 now! (I got the last Mac model at our local Target.) At that low-ball price, I couldn't resist!

iBorg

Forum Links
Forum Rules