Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Page forwarding to malware site?

Page forwarding to malware site? (Page 3)
mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Safari is doing what it is told, its job is to render content. ... in this case this doesn't sound like phishing, but simply an obnoxious ad. If you aren't prepared to make a sound argument, don't make it, and don't get pissy with people who ask you to defend your argument. If you aren't an expert as to what you are talking about (and it sounds like this is the case), why would you assert theories that you cannot defend?
Yeah, you definitely haven't seen this ad, that for sure, so YOU'RE the one that shouldn't be acting like the expert on it. It's not just obnoxious. It minimizes all your open browser windows to the size of an icon and forces you download software onto your computer unless you know ahead of time that you need to quit your browser. It also leaves the tab bar so messed up it's unusable. No amount of 'educating users' or blocking ads is going to protect the general public from this.... it has to be done by Apple I think. And I don't think I have to be a programming expert to express an opinion that this is not how a good browser should react. If it's not stopped now, it'll catch on with other advertisers and even you will eventually change your tune.

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
don't take this the wrong way mrtew. please...shut up.
Eat me. He asked, I answered, you go take a hike.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
No amount of 'educating users' or blocking ads is going to protect the general public from this.... it has to be done by Apple I think.
And by doing this you gut useful features. This is not a security hole.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2007, 02:19 PM

I have an idea for how to defeat this. In all javascript dialogs, the browser should have a link that says "Close dialog and associated windows." If the user clicks that link, the browser's preferences pane would open to a list of sites blocked from using JavaScript, and the site you were on would be added to that list. Feasible?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2007, 02:47 PM

I don't see how that would be possible Big Mac. For starters, MacNN doesn't control what is displayed in the JS dialogs that are provided by the ad providers. Secondly, any per site browser controls for blocking JS is browser specific...

A much easier solution would be to simply IP block these ad providers, I'm not sure why this would have to be any more complicated than that.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2007, 03:29 PM

I meant it would be added to browsers. The JavaScript from that ad comes from an ad-server, right? Blocking the pop-up would ideally block the ad.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2007, 04:01 PM

Added to browsers automatically or manually? If the former, how would this work?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Added to browsers automatically or manually? If the former, how would this work?
I think he means a third button of sorts that is not under the script's control. In other words, if an unsavory script programs both the OK and the Cancel button to proceed regardless, clicking this third button halts execution of the script, unconditionally, regardless of what the programmer wants to happen. An escape button, if you will, which would be part of every Javascript-generated dialog box no matter what.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2007, 06:23 PM

Ahhh.. so manipulate the content that is being fed to add the third button? Yeah, that makes sense... Sorry Big Mac, I suppose I was having some sort of mental hurdle understanding your proposal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules