Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I do not eat ...

I do not eat ... (Page 2)
sek929
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2008, 04:27 PM

Onions (love the flavor they produce in food, but I hate big chunks of onions)
Pickles (ditto on the love of cucumbers)
Sour cream
Mustard
Mayonnaise (blech!)
Sour cream and onion chips (duh)
Cooked carrots (same as you, DH, love em raw)
Hash browns
Relish
Cod fish cakes (they serve these things for breakfast around here....yuck!)

I'm sure more will come to me.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 25, 2008, 04:41 PM

I like most food. I even ate tripe when I was in China. But one really basic food I don't like is milk. I'm not lactose intolerant, and I will eat yogurt and cheese and I'll put cream in my coffee, but I really hate milk by itself.

I can even put up with 2% if it's poured over cereal or something, but skim is undrinkable for me in any form. I am indifferent towards whole milk. Don't like it, don't hate it, so I generally avoid it because of the high fat content. Instead I have soy milk.

Oh, I also don't like liver, but that's pretty common. I suspect the majority of people don't like liver.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2008, 04:48 PM

I don't understand why people eat an animals toxin filter.

"Hey this organ cleans all the impurities out of the bloodstream....let's consume it!"

ghporter
Administrator
May 25, 2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I don't understand why people eat an animals toxin filter.

"Hey this organ cleans all the impurities out of the bloodstream....let's consume it!"
Ummm..... You DO understand that neither the liver nor the kidney actually retains what it filters out of the blood, don't you? The liver dumps filtered materials into the digestive system, and the kidney flushes wastes out through the urine (which, by the way, is sterile until it leaves the body). The liver and kidneys of healthy animals are not any less healthy for consumption than any other organ.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2008, 06:20 PM

I understand the liver's function. It still is a filter for blood and body toxins. Even if those toxins are excreted that doesn't make the organ any more appetizing.

ghporter
Administrator
May 25, 2008, 06:35 PM

I won't say liver is my favorite food, but I don't find it unappetizing because of its biological function. We have different tastes.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 25, 2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
nope. my stomach would immediately object.
I usually eat wafer think beef, as it doesn't harm the animal as much as thick cut steaks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
I usually eat wafer think beef, as it doesn't harm the animal as much as thick cut steaks.

-t

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2008, 09:22 PM

I can even put up with 2% if it's poured over cereal or something, but skim is undrinkable for me in any form. I am indifferent towards whole milk.
That is unbelievably backwards to my ears (well, eyes).

I absolutely LOVE skimmed milk. I can drink what we call ‘mini milk’ (0.5 per cent). Anything higher than that and it’s just EURGH! 2 per cent is disgusting. In China, the standard variety of milk is anywhere between 3.5 and 5 per cent, which is just enough to make me puke. I like milk, not cream!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2008, 10:12 PM

I've come to realize that even when I want milk (like in cereal), I just really don't like the taste of milk. Whole milk is bad, 2% milk is kind of OK, nonfat milk is all right, and that Silk stuff that isn't really milk is actually pretty decent but costs more than my car.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2008, 10:29 PM

I hate anything but whole milk.

I miss German milk, 3.5% fat. Yum.

Otherwise, just put some flour in water and pretend it's milk. That's what non-fat milk boils down to.

-t

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2008, 10:36 PM

Lima beans are pretty much the only thing on my block list.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 12:29 AM

I agree, Lima beans suck.

I also forgot to mention, I don't like Beer. I like it in food, but I can't stand the taste of Beer.

If you haven't tried it, put in a can of Beer in your spagetti sauce.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2008, 12:39 AM

Or you can simmer some sogged-through rye bread in water and beer for a few hours and then eat it with milk on—then you have øllebrød.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2008, 01:31 AM

Lima beans are one of the healthiest foods you can put into your body. I don't "love" them, but they're on my acceptable vegetable list.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2008, 01:36 AM

Perhaps. But I would rather eat sand.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
May 26, 2008, 01:58 AM

Stuff from anything that has eyes.

[ That's how step-daughter describes lacto-ovo vegetarians ]

After reading Gandhi's autobio in college... I just couldn't be comfortable with it for myself (no judgments about other people's choices, though )
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
...that Silk stuff that isn't really milk is actually pretty decent but costs more than my car.
It used to be, but now it's not much more expensive than regular milk. What does a gallon of cow's milk cost these days? $5 or something? Because Silk is usually $5.50-$6 a gallon where I get it.

Plus, regular milk seems to go bad more quickly for me, and I tend to take a while to drink it, so soy milk ends up being cheaper in the end because I don't have to throw any of it out.

Anyway, to clarify, I don't really like any milk. Skim is my least favorite, but I don't like any of it. If 2% was significantly cheaper than Silk, I might be able to put up with it on cereal for the cost savings, but it's really not worth it at only about $1 less per gallon.

badidea
Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
– durian (duh!)
Ha, me neither...what a surprise!

Cipher13
May 26, 2008, 04:13 AM

Baked beans
Oysters
Muscles
Raw fish (a la sashimi, etc)
Octopus heads (tentacles are fine)

I'm pretty tolerant otherwise. Most food I don't like is due to texture, rather than taste.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 07:02 AM

My milk in Japan is 3.8%. For some reason it took me 2 years or so to figure that one out.

Please don't try natto. It smells bad. Tastes worse. Looks like snot. Oh, and its pure EVIL.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Please don't try natto. It smells bad. Tastes worse. Looks like snot. Oh, and its pure EVIL.
I used to work across from a Japanese guy who ate this stuff for breakfast (before he came to work), I could smell his breath from 6 feet away, It smelled like a 6 month exhumation.

OreoCookie
May 26, 2008, 07:19 AM

My milk in Japan is 3.8%. For some reason it took me 2 years or so to figure that one out.

Natto has always triggered my gag reflex. I should dish out an infraction to you just for posting the pic! (It triggered memories of the unpleasant kind.)

I literally couldn't swallow that stuff (well, at least not without regurgitating it immediately afterwards) I can't understand people who can eat it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2008, 07:29 AM

Bunch of big girls blouses you lot. Just looks like baked beans with stringy cheese.

Even though I've eaten dog, pictures like the above still make me cringe.

I have found something that I will not eat. From this thread http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...-will-not-eat/

We have ... uh ... this ... stuff The Sneeze - Half zine. Half blog. Half not good with fractions.

Sorry, no. NO !
( Last edited by mattyb; May 26, 2008 at 07:35 AM. )

OreoCookie
May 26, 2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Bunch of big girls blouses you lot. Just looks like baked beans with stringy cheese.
… says the person who for sure hasn't had the smell in his nose

ghporter
Administrator
May 26, 2008, 10:06 AM

It looks like something an alien might have hacked up after munching on a bunch of unsuspecting scientists. Ewwwww......

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I literally couldn't swallow that stuff (well, at least not without regurgitating it immediately afterwards)
This very accurately describes my relationship with anything that has any alcohol in it.

I’d also refuse, point-blank, to eat that ridiculously revolting Sicilian maggot cheese. In fact, I think I’d refuse even being in its presence.

OreoCookie
May 26, 2008, 11:15 AM

This very accurately describes my relationship with anything that has any alcohol in it.
Does that include food where alcohol has been used in the preparation, but cooked off?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Does that include food where alcohol has been used in the preparation, but cooked off?
No, it’s the presence of the alcohol itself that does it. Once the alcohol has evaporated through cooking, there’s no effect. I love sauce made with red wine, for example.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 26, 2008, 12:13 PM

I had it every morning for 2 weeks when staying with a friend's family in Tokyo. With rice, a raw egg and some soy sauce it goes down just fine.

I'm sort of shocked at you folks. It seems like you're willingly depriving yourselves of one of life's true pleasures - exploring the vastly diverse and challenging pleasures of one of the few ways we can experience the world - through the sense of taste.

How does one grow by limiting one's self to things you like? It's certainly no way to appreciate the more subtle and refined flavors, which often take time and practice to discover.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
... green eggs and ham.
I do not eat them in a house.
I will not eat them with a mouse.
I do not eat them, Sam-I-am.
I've had green eggs and ham. It's pretty good actually. It's scrambled eggs with minced spinach in the egg (and ham). I think anyone who likes eggs and spinach (and ham) would like it.

OTOH, this other type of green egg I've had is something that most people might just find disgusting:

I personally like it though.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2008, 01:58 PM

Yeah, those are okay, as long as they’re not served with salt-steeped raw tofu (aka 皮蛋豆腐 pídàn dòufu). Now that’s horrible. I prefer tea eggs, though.

And since we’re on the topic of eggs, balut is another no-no for me.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2008, 03:09 PM

Eug, what is that green egg dish called ?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 26, 2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
I had it every morning for 2 weeks when staying with a friend's family in Tokyo. With rice, a raw egg and some soy sauce it goes down just fine.

I'm sort of shocked at you folks. It seems like you're willingly depriving yourselves of one of life's true pleasures - exploring the vastly diverse and challenging pleasures of one of the few ways we can experience the world - through the sense of taste.

How does one grow by limiting one's self to things you like? It's certainly no way to appreciate the more subtle and refined flavors, which often take time and practice to discover.
Could you tell me how many people in this thread said that they will never try something despite never having tried it in the past? It seems that the examples people are giving are of foods that they have tried and don't like. If you don't like something I don't see how continuing to eat it somehow leads to "life's true pleasures." Maybe you'll get pleasure when you stop eating it and drink a big glass of water.

Also, raw egg? How do you eat that without getting sick?

Finally, has anyone here ever tried lutefisk? I've heard it's beyond awful, but I'd be interested to hear how it compares to natto (better or worse?).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2008, 03:18 PM

That green egg is a Chinese century egg.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2008, 03:19 PM

I may have had lutefisk Luca (I worked for Volvo for over 6 years and spent lots of time in Gothenburg), but I tried loads and loads of fish/meat/veg dishes during my stays there so couldn't honestly tell you if I enjoyed it or not.

The meals were generally on expenses so there was more attention paid to alcohol, and who would have to persuade their boss that the bill wasn't excessive. Sweden is VERY pricey for booze.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
That green egg is a Chinese century egg.
Yup.

Yeah, those are okay, as long as they’re not served with salt-steeped raw tofu (aka 皮蛋豆腐 pídàn dòufu). Now that’s horrible. I prefer tea eggs, though.
I like it in congee, but I also like 皮蛋豆腐 pídàn dòufu actually. It should have some soy sauce and sesame oil, but not any extra salt.

I also like tea eggs, but really all those are hard-boiled eggs with a light tea taste on the outside. So, it's not too far off the beaten track (in Western cultures) as far as eggs go.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2008, 04:26 PM

I like it in congee, but I also like 皮蛋豆腐 pídàn dòufu actually. It should have some soy sauce and sesame oil, but not any extra salt.
I’ve never actually had it without extra salt. All three times I’ve had it, there was so much extra salt poured (and I mean poured, not sprinkled or lightly strewn) on the tofu that after about 30 seconds, the tofu was completely dissolved and had turned into a lifeless mess of tofu-blubber. That was mostly what made it so terrible.

I may have had lutefisk Luca (I worked for Volvo for over 6 years and spent lots of time in Gothenburg), but I tried loads and loads of fish/meat/veg dishes during my stays there so couldn't honestly tell you if I enjoyed it or not.
Lutefish (as well as as its Norwegian-only sibling, rakfisk) would most likely be something you remembered if you’d tried it. The smell alone stays with you for quite a long time.

Especially rakfisk is a nasty attack to the olfactory organs. It’s normally kept in airtight containers when served in buffets, since even a few seconds of exposure to it will stink up the entire place. I’ve never eaten it, but according to my father, both lutefisk and rakfisk are very delicate and delicious in taste.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 26, 2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
Could you tell me how many people in this thread said that they will never try something despite never having tried it in the past? It seems that the examples people are giving are of foods that they have tried and don't like. If you don't like something I don't see how continuing to eat it somehow leads to "life's true pleasures." Maybe you'll get pleasure when you stop eating it and drink a big glass of water.

Also, raw egg? How do you eat that without getting sick?

Finally, has anyone here ever tried lutefisk? I've heard it's beyond awful, but I'd be interested to hear how it compares to natto (better or worse?).
Yeah I guess I was interpreting this differently. You may have a point.

Raw eggs are not inherently dangerous, the only risk being salmonella. It's a small risk and if the source is healthy chickens it's basically nil. The eggs in question were from a small farm.

ghporter
Administrator
May 26, 2008, 10:22 PM

I've tried things I thought I shouldn't, like ceviche. Few things ever really "got to" me (hint: NEVER reheat chicken nuggets), but a lot of things were unpleasant and so I've never followed up with similar things. Like ceviche. I've never found a surimi or sushimi that seemed appealing, so I haven't tried them. I will NOT try either dog or cat; I prefer these animals live and interactive.

I've had a variety of fish that were everything from really good to downright revolting (smelt has eleventy billion and three bones, all the size of brush bristles but sharp, and they all find my throat; it is impossible to remove 99% of smelt bones, so they all find my throat, therefore I will NEVER eat smelt again). I've had moose, deer, buffalo, all sorts of shellfish (I'll let all of you fight over both clams and oysters-yuck!), I dislike caviar, will put up with foie gras but prefer liverwurst, and generally I prefer spicy foods that have flavor more than heat. I would not call myself "timid" about foods. But I also have a good idea of what works for me and what doesn't, and I'll follow my instincts.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2008, 06:43 PM

Seriously. You people are weird. I'll eat anything. Except celery. F*ck that sh*t!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

paul w
Mac Elite
May 27, 2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I dislike caviar, will put up with foie gras but prefer liverwurst.
Me too except exactly the opposite.

FatGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2008, 08:18 PM

Liver of any kind and lobster.
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2008, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by FatGuy View Post
lobster.
Heresy!

Bottom-feeding sea bugs are MMMMMmmmmm!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2008, 09:23 PM

I havent drank milk since I went vegan like 12years ago (dialed it back to vegetarian like 9 years ago). I'll eat cheese when there's a good reason - a delicious piece of cheddar, or brie, or really almost anything as long as its not a kraft cheese slice thing.
Other than that, besides the obvious vegetarian avoidances (what, 5 things? beef, pork, birds, fish, uh...bird eggs), I really eat pretty much anything.

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2008, 09:30 PM

As odd as it sounds, I really can't think of any food that I "hate". I haven't had liver and onions since I was a little kid, but I apparently gobbled the stuff up so I'm going to make some this week to try it out again.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2008, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
I'll eat cheese when there's a good reason - a delicious piece of cheddar, or brie, or really almost anything as long as its not a kraft cheese slice thing.
You'd go mad in France. One of my greatest pleasures is being forced by my French friends to try new cheeses and French wines.

The only problem is the insults that I have to put up with about English cheeses afterwards.

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 28, 2008, 07:15 AM

Mayo
Stuff with nuts in it
Caviar
Sardines
Anchovies

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2008, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
You'd go mad in France. One of my greatest pleasures is being forced by my French friends to try new cheeses and French wines.

The only problem is the insults that I have to put up with about English cheeses afterwards.
Get something together. I'll jump on the gulfstream this afternoon and be there by 9. Kthxbye.

design219
Professional Poster
May 28, 2008, 09:18 AM

This thread is useless without smell.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules