Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Official High Def Thread

The Official High Def Thread (Page 2)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
They still make DLP's??
High end 3-chip DLPs are amongst the best projectors money can buy.

Too bad they cost 5-digit US$ prices.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
High end 3-chip DLPs are amongst the best projectors money can buy.

Too bad they cost 5-digit US$ prices.
Oh ya 3 CHIP DLP is but I was talking the 1 Chip rear projector stuff. Old school.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 05:12 PM

P.S. The JVC DLA-HD100 isn't DLP. It's LCoS. But it's a damn nice projector of course.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 05:17 PM

It's similar to DLP, but has many advantages, including better clarity and contrast.

Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCOS) RPTVs (also D-ILA or SXRD) — Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 05:22 PM

So I have a 32" Sony Bravia 720p HDTV, but according to my (upconverting) DVD player, it's displaying 1080i. I'm pretty sure it's lying. The Bluray player says it's doing 720p, which is what it should be.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
So I have a 32" Sony Bravia 720p HDTV, but according to my (upconverting) DVD player, it's displaying 1080i. I'm pretty sure it's lying. The Bluray player says it's doing 720p, which is what it should be.
The DVD player could very well be outputting 1080i. I'm not sure why you find that surprising.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2008, 06:06 PM

Fixed the thread title.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 09:08 PM

The DVD player could very well be outputting 1080i. I'm not sure why you find that surprising.
It is surprising to me that it is not only outputting 1080i but according to the TV, it's being displayed in 1080i as well. I would rather have 720p then 1080i though.
Edit: I will admit I am a HD noob though.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 09:51 PM

The TV is just reporting it is receiving a 1080i signal. It then goes on to downconvert it 720p.

However, for my 768p TV, a 1080i source basically always looks better than a 720p source, but that's not that surprising, since 768p > 720p.

However, for my 720p projector, feeding it a 1080i signal from my Xbox 360 looks better than a 720p signal, presumably because my projector downsamples to 720p better than the Xbox 360 does.

If your DVD player has a 720p setting, try it and see how it looks compared to the 1080i setting. If 720p looks better, then use 720p. If worse, then stick with 1080i. If the same, then don't worry about it.

And finally, some TVs actually upscale to 720p better than the DVD player. ie. In a few instances, you'd actually get better quality by feeding the TV 480p.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2008, 12:22 PM

Wicked more audio support for the PS3 and a nice new store:
PS3 firmware v2.30 walkthrough: DTS-HD MA support / new PS Store included - Engadget HD

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2008, 12:35 PM

Wicked more audio support for the PS3 and a nice new store:
PS3 firmware v2.30 walkthrough: DTS-HD MA support / new PS Store included - Engadget HD
Sweet fancy Moses, we're FINALLY getting DTS-HD MA support!!!!!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Sweet fancy Moses, we're FINALLY getting DTS-HD MA support!!!!!
So the only way to hear HTS-HD is through HDMI and a receiver that supports it right? Can it run over optical to a receiver that handles regular DTS?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2008, 01:10 PM

So the only way to hear HTS-HD is through HDMI and a receiver that supports it right?
No. If your player has analogue 5.1 outputs (ie. not the PS3), you can hear it that way (assuming your receiver has analogue inputs).

Can it run over optical to a receiver that handles regular DTS?
No.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2008, 04:53 PM

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2008, 06:27 PM

If you have a receiver with HDMI that accepts up to 7.1 LPCM at 96Khz, then you can take advantage of this update to hear DTS HD MA in high fidelity.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Until I download it it smells a bit vaporwareish. I can't figure if it lets you control the playback and it also seems live enabled disks are needed.

Netblender� - BD Touch
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Apr 10, 2008 at 08:25 PM. )

villalobos
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 10:53 AM

52" Mitsubishi DLP.
Right now using Comcast HD (pretty crappy) to watch some HD NHL playoff action (sweeeeet).
I hook up my MPB to it too to watch regular DVDs.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2008, 11:09 AM

So the only way to hear HTS-HD is through HDMI and a receiver that supports it right? Can it run over optical to a receiver that handles regular DTS?
No. If your player has analogue 5.1 outputs (ie. not the PS3), you can hear it that way (assuming your receiver has analogue inputs).

No.
^^^What he said. You need HDMI or analogue 5.1 outputs. Optical won't work.

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2008, 03:43 AM

Panasonic 50" 720p plasma (I sit ~9ft away so i don't get the benefits of 1080p)
Denon receiver
PS3 w/ 200gb HDD for xvid/blu-ray/music
Bowers-Wilkins 685's (soon to be replaced with 683's and the 685's will move to bedroom as computer speakers)
Oppo upconverting DVD player
Time Warner HD/DVR box.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 14, 2008, 12:48 PM

Just purchased a 42" 1080p set to replace a 19" tube (yeah, laugh away).

Girlfriend: "You paid how much for this and every thing we watch looks like complete shit?!!"

We get a couple of HD channels - nothing we'll watch, though.
We have an upconverting DVD player (XBOX 360 over VGA) - movies look like crap
Thought about buying a PS3 - no movies we'd watch and it's too expensive

I am extremely surprised how piss-poor SD looks on an HD set. I'm on the fence about returning this and hitting the Salvation Army and seeing if I can find a 32" tube or something.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 01:05 PM

Stop watching your DVDs via your 360 - it's a horrible upscaling player.

Run SD in 4:3 mode (bars on the sides) and it'll look as good or better than your last set. Just don't stretch it.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 01:07 PM

Ha, I go for Zoom. Oh boy, you'll notice the artifacts and noise.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 14, 2008, 01:09 PM

Philips 37" 1080i
Toshiba HD-A20
Pioneer DV-400V, which is one of the only players that'll output 480i, best allowing the TV to do its own job of upconverting.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
Just purchased a 42" 1080p set to replace a 19" tube (yeah, laugh away).

Girlfriend: "You paid how much for this and every thing we watch looks like complete shit?!!"

We get a couple of HD channels - nothing we'll watch, though.
We have an upconverting DVD player (XBOX 360 over VGA) - movies look like crap
Thought about buying a PS3 - no movies we'd watch and it's too expensive

I am extremely surprised how piss-poor SD looks on an HD set. I'm on the fence about returning this and hitting the Salvation Army and seeing if I can find a 32" tube or something.
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Yes, yes it is. Watching with a better DVD player should make it look much better. I don't understand how they can make HD DVD look so good but DVD look like utter crap.

Run SD in 4:3 mode (bars on the sides) and it'll look as good or better than your last set. Just don't stretch it.
Not really. Analogue SD on my 34" CRT (480p/1080i widescreen) still looks noticeably better than on my 42" LCD or my 26" LCD.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 14, 2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post

I read somewhere that the 360 via VGA is on par with a lot of the stand-alone upscaling players. I did order a stand-alone the other day and when it arrives, I hope it will quell the firing squad at home I'm facing.

I do run SD in 4:3 and it does look like complete crap. It may be because my source is WOW digital - you can really see the artifacts and noise from the compression that doesn't present itself on a tube (much).

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 04:34 PM

I'm still blow away by how horrible of a DVD the 360 is. I mean the worst and cheapest $30 stand alone DVD player at wal-mart does a better job than the 360.

I can't figure out why it is either as they haven't updated the software once for day 1 and and HD-DVD player looks good.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 05:29 PM

I'm still blow away by how horrible of a DVD the 360 is. I mean the worst and cheapest $30 stand alone DVD player at wal-mart does a better job than the 360.
Yup. The 360 easily has the power to be a top notch upscaling DVD player. But I agree, it's worse than many $30 Wal-Mart players.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
I read somewhere that the 360 via VGA is on par with a lot of the stand-alone upscaling players.
The person who wrote that is a liar.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 08:50 PM

Star Trek DVD news: Official Announcement for Star Trek - Season 2 (Remastered) | TVShowsOnDVD.com

With the demise of HD DVD, the HD DVD/DVD version of Star Trek Season 2 appears to be dead. OK, fine, but they have decided not to release it on Blu-ray any time soon either. It will only come out on DVD first.

So it looks like no Season 2 for me any time soon.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2008, 04:18 PM

Update your PS3 folks. The new firmware is up. DTS HD MA tracks are now internally decoded to PCM when you select PCM output and are still bitstreamed as 1.5Mbps 5.1 DTS when bitstreamed.

The store looks great too as a native application.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 12:56 PM

Heh. Disc sales for the first three months of 2008:

Blu-ray: 78%
HD DVD: 22%

Must be the discounts on HD DVD. I know I bought a few.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 01:11 PM

Heh. Disc sales for the first three months of 2008:

Blu-ray: 78%
HD DVD: 22%

Must be the discounts on HD DVD. I know I bought a few.
Geez does it really matter anymore? Most charts I am seeing now just skip HD DVD and compare BR to DVD.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 01:42 PM

Geez does it really matter anymore? Most charts I am seeing now just skip HD DVD and compare BR to DVD.
EVERYTHING matters to us small-minded geeks in the The Lounge. I thought you would have figured that out given the length of the last thread.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 03:14 PM

Star Trek DVD news: Official Announcement for Star Trek - Season 2 (Remastered) | TVShowsOnDVD.com With the demise of HD DVD, the HD DVD/DVD version of Star Trek Season 2 appears to be dead. OK, fine, but they have decided not to release it on Blu-ray any time soon either. It will only come out on DVD first. So it looks like no Season 2 for me any time soon.
There has got to be a reason that Paramont and Universal are both being so slow about switching over to blu. Shooting/remastering the shows in HD and then not selling them on Blu-ray is too stupid of move for any serious corporation, let alone two. Something besides brains has got to be stopping them. And speaking of remastering old SD shows to HD.... is StarTrek the only show to be remastered so far and has anyone heard of plans for any others?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2009, 06:25 AM

They're still selling 720's now a year later so I think they're still making them. In fact I don't know why they'd stop. HDTV is 720 right? Bluray looks amazingly excellent and the same on a 720 unless you go way above 42 inches or sit really close and I don't see blu-ray catching on that fast anyway so for 90% of viewing it would be identical or better and cheaper to have 720 right?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
They're still selling 720's now a year later so I think they're still making them. In fact I don't know why they'd stop. HDTV is 720 right? Bluray looks amazingly excellent and the same on a 720 unless you go way above 42 inches or sit really close and I don't see blu-ray catching on that fast anyway so for 90% of viewing it would be identical or better and cheaper to have 720 right?
1) This is a zombie thread, since it was dead for a year.

2) HDTV is all sorts of things, with 1280x720 and 1920x1080 being the most common. (1280x)720p does indeed look great with Blu-ray, although as you say it can make a difference with larger screens, esp. if you sit close. The most obvious difference IMO is with text, but then again, luckily most movies aren't made of text.

I used to say 720p was the much better value. It still is to a certain extent but a lot of the value benefit of going to 720p is now gone. In the old days, you could get a mid to higher end 720p TV, and it would be better than a low end 1080p TV. However, in 2009 things have changed. Most mid to higher end TVs are 1080p anyway. The 720p TVs are mostly limited to the low end. So, in 2009 if you want a TV with superior blacks and contrast, etc., then it's probably going to be 1080p. (Be careful though, since there are still a lot of crappy 1080p TVs out there.) For projectors, 720p is often still the better value though IMO.

In any case, I currently own a two 720p/768p LCD TVs and a 720p projector. I have no desire to upgrade, but when they break, I'll replace them with 1080p equipment.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2009, 09:50 AM

I can't believe this thread is a year old.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2009, 10:26 AM

Oh well, since this has been bumped not sure if you all saw this.

http://www.red2blu.com/products.html

Warners Bros., which effectively ended the format war when it announced sole support for Blu-ray, is letting customers swap their HD DVD titles for the Blu-ray version in its new Red2Blu program.

The studio is offering the “upgrade” program for up to 25 HD DVD titles at $4.95 a piece via Red2Blu.com.

The best part for HD DVD fans? It appears that you don’t even need to send in the disc—just the cover art sleeve for the title. So, you can keep the HD DVD disc and play it to your heart’s content.

In addition to the $4.95 upgrade price is $6.95 shipping and handling for the entire order.

Warner says you’ll receive the new Blu-ray discs within 4 to 5 weeks.
http://www.electronichouse.com/artic..._swap_program/

Pretty sweet if you ask me, especially since you get to keep your HD-DVD, case and all.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2009, 10:51 AM

Yeah, saw that, but it's only for the US (and Puerto Rico).

I'm not sure I'd bother anyway for most of them though, since I don't feel like spending even more on the discs, and especially since I bought a bunch of them for under $10 anyway.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2009, 11:55 AM

Yeah, saw that, but it's only for the US (and Puerto Rico).

I'm not sure I'd bother anyway for most of them though, since I don't feel like spending even more on the discs, and especially since I bought a bunch of them for under $10 anyway.
I plan on going through my WB HD-DVDs when I get home and sending in the ones I can. Hard to pass up a $5 Blu-ray when I get to keep my HD-DVD one as well.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2009, 12:00 PM

I'm waiting for a 2.39:1 TV set. I've decided I hate 16:9 because nothing f*cking fits it. I hate having to constantly switch different video modes just to watch TV or a movie.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I'm waiting for a 2.39:1 TV set. I've decided I hate 16:9 because nothing f*cking fits it.
Except most HD television, and a lot of hi-def discs.

I hate having to constantly switch different video modes just to watch TV or a movie.
Here ya go.

The 56-inch LCD TV aims to provide the closest proportion yet to screens at movie theaters. But that might not be enough to make it a worthy investment for people planning on using it for more than watching movies.

According to Philips, the aspect ratio of the screen is 2.33:1, which is about the same as the regular ratio of most movies, which come in at 2.39:1

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2009, 12:55 PM

Except most HD television, and a lot of hi-def discs.
But no movies, which is what I bought it for.

Here ya go.

Sweet! Now I just have to wait for them to not be $10,000. I hope other companies make them so the price can go down.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
But no movies, which is what I bought it for.
There are lots of 16:9 movies. I have several. Most aren't, but many are.

Essentially all 1.85:1 movies are framed for hi-def as 16:9 (which is 1.78:1).

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2009, 01:32 PM

I've yet to come across a DVD movie that actually fits on my TV.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2009, 01:32 PM

How long do you guys usually keep your tv's for? I've got a 3 year old Samsung LNS-4096, and I paid an arm and a leg when I bought it. Now of course tv's are much cheaper, and I could easily buy a better one with more HDMI ports and better color quality for under $1k...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2009, 01:34 PM

Actually I've found that most of the comedies I own are 1.85:1 (so basically 16x9), while most of the action and drama movies are 2.35:1.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2009, 01:39 PM

I find pillarboxing so ugly. Letterboxing is much easier to tolerate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules