Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How to install a retail Pioneer DVD-R in MDD?

How to install a retail Pioneer DVD-R in MDD?
alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2003, 03:53 PM

OK, I've searched the forums, and maybe I missed it...

But I just got our new MDD FW800 PowerMac with Combo drive. So...I also have a Pioneer DVD-R drive. I tried to fit it where the Combo drive currently is, but that's not working - its too long (I think - its at least longer than the Combo drive is).

So...has anybody else done this and are there any good non-warranty-destroying ways to do this?

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2003, 03:56 PM

Put it in the second slot

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
OK, I've searched the forums, and maybe I missed it...

But I just got our new MDD FW800 PowerMac with Combo drive. So...I also have a Pioneer DVD-R drive. I tried to fit it where the Combo drive currently is, but that's not working - its too long (I think - its at least longer than the Combo drive is).

So...has anybody else done this and are there any good non-warranty-destroying ways to do this?
Read this:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/...03.html#S15100

alex_kac  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2003, 06:29 PM

Well, when I put it into the bottom slot, of course under 10.2.4 its not recognized and frankly - even after reading the xlr8 article (I read that before posting here), the difficulty I have is I still can't figure out how to change the Apple drive to slave so that having it in the bottom slot works.

So yeah, its been a LONG time since I've had a Mac desktop (around 5 years now) and well, I'm a bit rusty. Been using a laptop for too long.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2003, 06:42 AM

You simply move the jumper at the back of the drive from one set of pins to the other. Most drives have 3 or 4 pairs of pins, with a diagram nearby indicating which set is master, slave, or cable select.

Move the jumper off the master pins to the slave pins and assuming the power and data cable's plugged into the drive, you're done.

alex_kac  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2003, 10:59 AM

I figured it out - actually...I realized that my problem was purely that the drive was much longer than the MDD was designed for.

As such, I had to ... custom modify the drive to fit.

Paul S
Senior User
Feb 25, 2003, 12:35 PM

The Pioneer 103/A03 drive is a little longer than the 104 and 105s that are out now. Also, I believe the MDD G4s use cable select instead of master and slave settings.

alex_kac  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2003, 01:53 PM

Yeah - I went and bought a CenDyne drive. Still have to shave off the corners of the tray to fit through the curved opening of the MDD - but it works great now.

headbox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2003, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
Yeah - I went and bought a CenDyne drive. Still have to shave off the corners of the tray to fit through the curved opening of the MDD - but it works great now.
does that drive work with iDVD?
Dual 1.25 GHz PowerMac +
20" cinema display =
one happy Mac user

alex_kac  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2003, 12:38 PM

No problem so far. Burned 4 DVDs without any issues.

Forum Links
Forum Rules