Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dashboard Request

Dashboard Request
alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2005, 12:19 AM

I've got two.

One is I'd like to have my entire Desktop's contents in an icon list in Dashboard so I can keep it off my main screen. I.e. I only want to see my files when I force it.

Second is a SSH window that can be configured to connect to a certain server on hitting a button in Dashboard (if its not already connected). To explain more fully - lets say I have this widget on my dashboard. On first login, its disconnected. I invoke dashboard - still disconnected. Press the connect button and it connects. Simple enough.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2005, 03:23 PM

The question is: Why do you save files to the desktop when you don't want files to clutter it?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by alex_kac
IOne is I'd like to have my entire Desktop's contents in an icon list in Dashboard so I can keep it off my main screen. I.e. I only want to see my files when I force it.
F10 is similar to that. While an application launcher from the menu bar, it does allow you to add folders and documents. You can customize the view and you needn't clutter up the desktop as you can access everything from whatever folder they are in.

If that's not your cup a tea, create a smart folder and keep it in the dock.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

alex_kac  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
The question is: Why do you save files to the desktop when you don't want files to clutter it?
Its not the files per se - but more disks, disk images, and so on. I know I can remove them from the Finder, but then I don't have something that suits me as far as being easy to access. I know I can have the Finder window open and put them on the side - but then its one more window to manage. Frankly, what would suit me best is to have my Finder completely be a Dashboard like layer.

F10 doesn't answer it either. It still opens windows up for file management. I've been using Mac OS since 7.1 and for the first time in 10.4 I've really come to despise the Finder (not because the Finder has gotten worse) because my eyes have been opened to having a totally different layer like what Dashboard has.

Forum Links
Forum Rules