Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Visual Studio 2005 - Parallels vs Boot Camp

Visual Studio 2005 - Parallels vs Boot Camp
alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006, 09:17 PM

Here is the situation. I'm a Mac-fan who owns mostly Macs, runs my servers on Macs, and so on. However I develop software for Windows Mobile. Its my life and that's not going to change.

So I currently own a PM 2.16Ghz Dell for my development, but I'm really wanting to move to a dual core processor laptop because Visual Studio likes to take up the full CPU when its compiling ARM4 code and Windows is so "wonderful" at multi-tasking that nothing else gets any process time.

The idea of having my Mac fix and my Windows dev at the same time is very appealing. Also I prefer to use Trillian over Adium/iChat and in some cases prefer Outlook over Apple's Mail (depends on the need - when doing a lot of scheduling and certain kinds of email) so I'd prefer to be able to run in Parallels so I can use the best app for my needs from either OS at the same time. Boy would I be in hog heaven then.

But my concern is that disk speed and CPU use will make Visual Studio feel like my PM 2.16 or slower rather than the upgrade I am looking for when running under Parallels. I know BootCamp will run Windows at 100% full speed and I'd get the full benefit, but speed isn't everything.

So...my question. First off - does Parallels use BOTH cores when its active? Second, how well do the Windows Mobile ARM emulators run under Parallels? (yeah...talk about an interesting idea - a VM within a VM). And if anybody has run Visual Studio 2005 under Parallels, how does it compare in compile time to running natively on the hardware?

I know this is a VERY specific question that very few people would know, but on the other hand I've heard a lot of Windows developers who once they heard of BootCamp bought a MBP and are doing this very thing. So I'd love to get their feedback.

I'm not yet sure if I'm going to get one now or wait for Merom, though...I'm thinking Merom which of course will speed a few things up.

galarneau
Senior User
May 20, 2006, 06:34 PM

Check out this thread on the parallels.com forum:

http://forum.parallels.com/thread1788.html

It discusses both VS 2003 & VS 2005 performance. Looks to be fine with sufficient RAM.

alex_kac  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2006, 08:40 PM

Awesome. I went ahead and tried it on my wife's MBP who has only 1GB of RAM and I found it about 1/4th the speed of my current XPS. I was hoping for more, but she did only have 1GB of RAM with only 256 allocated to XP, so I know that made a lot of difference. My MBP would have 2GB of RAM with 1GB allocated to Parallels.

If Parallels could use a Boot Camp partition, then it would be a no brainer as I could use both - depending on my needs of the day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules