Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need help downgrading from 10.5 to 10.4

Need help downgrading from 10.5 to 10.4
bhoup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2009, 06:59 PM

Hello. I'm fairly new to mac and I need to downgrade from 10.5 to 10.4. I put in the black disc labeled "Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.6 Install DVD" but it tells me "Mac OS X 10.4 cannot be installed on this machine." Anyone know other ways to try?

Thanks!
Brent

Cold Warrior
Jan 16, 2009, 07:21 PM

You probably have a newer Mac. What model Mac do you have?

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2009, 08:09 PM

Is there any particular reason you need to downgrade? Its a first for me hearing this!

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2009, 09:33 PM

I agree with Cold Warrior - it may be that you have a PowerPC DVD of Tiger, and you're trying to install it on an Intel machine, or vice-versa.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2009, 07:44 PM

Isn't that the standard message that the model-specific disks that come with new machines throw up when you try to use them on a different machine?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by bhoup View Post
Hello. I'm fairly new to mac and I need to downgrade from 10.5 to 10.4. I put in the black disc labeled "Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.6 Install DVD" but it tells me "Mac OS X 10.4 cannot be installed on this machine."
The BLACK Tiger disks are the retail upgrades: Those are PowerPC ONLY and WILL NOT install on an Intel machine.

There never was an Intel 10.4 retail disk, since every Intel Mac ever made already included Tiger or above.

Your only chance is to find somebody with an Intel machine and a Tiger Install Disk, and to hook your Mac up to that via Firewire in Target Disk Mode (start it up holding down the "T" key), and install that Mac's system onto your 'Book from there.

If your 'book is a revision that came out after the release of Leopard, though, you'll have to expect either the system not to run properly (if at all), or certain built-in components of your machine not to be supported.

If you're trying to install onto a new unibody MacBook, the only thing you can do, since that doesn't support Firewire Target Disk mode, is to remove the internal drive, put it into an external case, hook it up to an Intel machine that came with a Tiger install disk, and proceed as above.

I very much doubt that the unibody machines will boot from 10.4 at all.

ibook_steve
Jan 20, 2009, 02:31 AM

The OP asked the exact same question a few months ago.

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...n/#post3744183

As mentioned there, maybe Applecare can help out, but it would probably be simpler to know why this person wants or needs to downgrade.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2009, 01:33 PM

what's it to us if he needs to downgrade his machine? I remember downgrading my first gen MBP down to Tiger from Leopard due to my machine overheating, and guess what...it worked.

OP: From what I've understood over the years typically you can't install an operating system older than the date your machine was built/bought. So if you buy a MBP after leopard comes out and decide you don't want it for whatever reason and decide you're going to install tiger, Mac OS X won't allow it no matter what discs you use.

Are ways around this? Sure, the company I work for has me on a Quad Core Powermac running Tiger but I could assure you that it won't be a clean install and you'll notice a few bugs here and there (for me it was my graphics card acting up and stuttering on almost anything that used it from screen saver to itunes cover flow being disabled).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
what's it to us if he needs to downgrade his machine? I remember downgrading my first gen MBP down to Tiger from Leopard due to my machine overheating, and guess what...it worked.
I have no problem with his question.

I'm somewhat annoyed by the fact that WE ALREADY ANSWERED HIS QUESTION THREE MONTHS AGO IN THIS VERY FORUM, and here it is again.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2009, 04:40 PM

oops...just saw that, have at it hoss.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules