Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > any solution to the screen glare on new MB's?

any solution to the screen glare on new MB's?
scotto12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2009, 08:58 PM

i was just wondering if anyone has come up with a solution to the screen glare problem on the new macbooks and macbook pros. is there some kind of plastic protector sheet that will help cut the glare? or maybe a spray, or a sandblaster or something? or is this just a problem that cannot be resolved?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 9, 2009, 09:09 PM

I just composed a rant about this subject, but I've decided to just say "this is a made up problem." They're laptops; there's no reason a user can't turn the computer slightly, or tilt the screen a bit and thus avoid glare.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2009, 09:51 PM

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2009, 09:52 PM

You now can opt for PowerSupport's anti-glare film.

Personally I do not find the glossy screen a distraction but ymmv
~Mike

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2009, 10:18 PM

i hated it at first (the glossy screen on my new macbook), now i live with it. i'd prefer a matte screen, but i (mostly) don't think about it (except when it's 'glaringly reflective')...

the techrestore option is for the macbook pro only (i checked when they first offered this); i've thought of trying the powersupport film, but, again, am just living with the gloss.

if you DO try the anti-glare film, report back! (or anyone who uses it...what do you think of it?)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Cloud
Feb 10, 2009, 12:18 AM

Is it honestly that big of a deal? And yes, just turn it slightly.

Does no on remember when tube televisions always had that glare when watching sunday afternoon tv? There are worse things out there people!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2009, 12:53 AM

Just because there's worse technology out there doesn't mean one should settle for less from premium priced brand hardware. "Turning it slightly" isn't a very good technical solution.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2009, 01:01 AM

why does everybody who sides with glossy being great think that those who prefer matte screens are stuck in the stone ages or are griping for the sake of griping.

yes i do remember the days of the tube television and i HATED glare when playing video games or watching nba games, why in the hell would i wanna relive that with my computer of all things?

sure i could tilt my computer but why...why should i tilt my computer and constantly change my sitting position to accommodate my screen when having a matte screen allows me to use my computer however i'd like without tilting my screen or changing which direction i'm facing whenever there's a chance of glare.

sure there are definitely worse things out there, and i'm (we the matte screen preferring community) aren't saying the new systems are hunks of junk because of the glossy screen, heck if Apple were to just keep the option (even though matte users are getting the shaft by having to pay a premium) everybody would be happy ($50 oh well).

this way glossy users get their glossy, matte users get their matte, and everybody stops all the FUD when commenting bout matte users being "a fickle bunch" or "stuck in the prehistoric ages" or "get a life, you shouldn't complain about minor issues like this." it's a preference, a choice... and eventually those preferences can change, but i know a lot of people on these boards would stop the fussing had the macbook been introduced with a matte option and lame ass online feuds could be avoided. This isn't something like firewire's slow decline, this is how we interact with the computer.

i wonder how many of you would complain if apple lead the way with the nub eraser mouse vs the trackpad in their next revision...trackpads are for cavemen anyway, right? whatever Apple does is the next wave of the future, right?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2009, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
why does everybody who sides with glossy being great think that those who prefer matte screens are stuck in the stone ages or are griping for the sake of griping.
I don't think like that of the matte crowd. And I also think you have a valid point there.

But OTOH, why don't the people who prefer matte just swap the screen (pricey but good) or apply a diffusor film (cheap)? How is bitching and moaning on a forum going to make them any more productive?

A little more open-mindedness on one side and a little less whining on the other would make everybody happier.
•

Cloud
Feb 10, 2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Just because there's worse technology out there doesn't mean one should settle for less from premium priced brand hardware. "Turning it slightly" isn't a very good technical solution.
Maybe, but if that's true I should be complaining about this really flimsy screen on my new MBP. Flops all over the place every time I take it around.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2009, 10:35 PM

Why not? The glossy screen provides more saturated colors and doesn't muddy the displayed image the way matte-haters say matte does. Without a matte layer over it, you should see the image more precisely too. So what's the big freaking deal with turning the laptop a degree or two away from the offending light source? I still haven't figured that out...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

pcummins
Feb 10, 2009, 10:39 PM

Perhaps people should be asking large LCD screen TV manufacturers why they haven't moved to ultra-high glossy screens if they're so great?

jamester
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2009, 10:43 PM

my lcd on my desktop IS glossy. I would imagine a TV, on the other hand, would be much more difficult to move away from offending light sources.
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2009, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I don't think like that of the matte crowd. And I also think you have a valid point there.

But OTOH, why don't the people who prefer matte just swap the screen (pricey but good) or apply a diffusor film (cheap)? How is bitching and moaning on a forum going to make them any more productive?

A little more open-mindedness on one side and a little less whining on the other would make everybody happier.
i hear ya loud and clear, here's hoping Apple updates the 15" with the same screen option as the 17" in its next revision...if not, it'll be matte screen film for me.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2009, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Why not? The glossy screen provides more saturated colors and doesn't muddy the displayed image the way matte-haters say matte does. Without a matte layer over it, you should see the image more precisely too. So what's the big freaking deal with turning the laptop a degree or two away from the offending light source? I still haven't figured that out...
No need for pseudo-cursing, Glenn. Those of you who like glossy screens can have them, but why can't we have our matte option across the board? Apple only recently started with this glossy fixation, and it's wrong to force all potential MB and MBP customers with the exception of 17" customers to have to take glossy screens whether they like them or not. I think one of the most powerful technology corporations in the world could easily afford to provide the option.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Feb 11, 2009 at 01:45 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2009, 02:12 AM

Rob Griffiths makes some great points about glossy screens in this MacWorld article, where he reviews the TechRestore $200 matte conversion:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1385...mbp.html?t=105

In this next article he reviews the MBP anti-glare film (attn: not available for MB yet...) and compares it to the TechRestore conversion. One thing that really stood out for me is how hard it is to apply the film without bubbles or dust getting caught beneath the film.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1386...2032:b21582395

One point that may explain some people's extreme dislike of glossy, is that some people's eyes may have a harder time ignoring reflections than other people's eyes.

Glossy/matte is a take it or leave it thing--and the take-its will violently disagree with the leave-its (or vice versa.)

The thing that really stood out in my own experience, when I transitioned from a 12" AlPB to my new matte MBP (previous generation bought on closeout for much less than the illuminated keyboard MB) is how much time I unconsciously spent rearranging the screen on the 12" because of its poor viewing angle. I didn't even know I was doing it after awhile--it had become an unconscious automatic action.

I imagine that's exactly what glossy laptop owners are doing, except more so because you're fussing with the screen because of reflections and then you're fussing with the screen because of poor viewing angle--and I betcha after awhile they don't even know they're doing it.

Now, they may think that's no big deal--but with my new MBP I can definitely say how nice it is not to always be fussing with the screen.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2009, 08:06 PM

No need for pseudo-cursing, Glenn. Those of you who like glossy screens can have them, but why can't we have our matte option across the board?
You could; you don't have them because Apple chooses not to offer them, likely due to popularity (same reason for no high-res displays).

Forum Links
Forum Rules