Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > VPN Router

VPN Router
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2010, 05:41 AM

I'm looking for suggestions for a reliable router/switch/vpn combo. SPECIFICALLY something that plays very nice with the L2TP/IPSec client built into OS X. We currently have a D-Link DIR-130 that we are using for a router, and we are trying to enable it's VPN. The L2TP doesn't work at all. At least not with OS X. The PPTP works sometimes. But sometimes it doesn't work, for no reason at all. Yes the firmware is up to date, yes I re-uploaded the firmware anyway, and yes I reset the thing and set it back up from scratch a few times. Like pretty much every router I've ever used, it's simply junk. Thats why I normally like to set up OS X Server boxes at small offices. The calendar server is junk but the VPN is great. But that's not an option here. I need something new. Something reliable, easy to setup, plays well with Macs.

Cold Warrior
Nov 19, 2010, 01:40 PM

Have you considered iVPN running on an unused Mac? You could probably keep the dlink and put that iVPN Mac on the dmz/default host or set up some port mappings.

If you're not interested in that, apologies for the OT post.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2010, 04:29 PM

The guy that owns this company is very anti-local server. Plus there are no unused Macs. It's either a VPN router box, or a 3rd party VPN server on the internet, and I set up the VPN connection on every machine, even the ones in the office. Which seems kind of stupid to me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2010, 05:16 PM

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2010, 05:18 PM

Systems like that won't work well, each user uses a non-admin account, and is not allowed to know the admin password. I really need access via Apple Remote Desktop. It's the only way I can easily log in as the admin, and do whatever I need to do.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2010, 05:30 PM

The latter (ARD access) is not a problem with Hamachi2.

Every Mac (and PC) gets a virtual IP number (5.x.x.x) in the created network, and you can address it as if you were in the same physical network.
I have used ARD over Hamachi before.

-t

sfederman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2010, 02:32 PM

Consider a Linksys/Cisco RV042. It works well with the Mac OSX PPTP client (not the L2TP, unfortunately), and can also be configured with IPSEC using the free IPSecuritas application if you prefer.

If you (or your client) want to spend a bit more money, you could alternatively try a Sonicwall TZ100 & use its built in L2TP VPN capabilities.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2010, 07:11 PM

That cisco is the strangest looking router I've ever seen. It looks like a CD drive. Sucks that only the PPTP works but I guess that's all I'm going to get. Have you used it? Is it reliable? More reliable than linksys/netgear consumer stuff?

sfederman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2010, 07:17 PM

Yup, I've used it quite a bit for SMB & for pro-home users - it's very reliable. PPTP is very easy to set up on it as well...

Forum Links
Forum Rules