Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What Mail Client Do You Use?

View Poll Results: What email client do you use? Choose here! This pole closes in 30 days!
Poll Options:
I use Mozilla Thunderbird. 7 votes (7.61%)
I use Apple Mail. 66 votes (71.74%)
I like Postbox. 5 votes (5.43%)
I prefer to use a Webmail service (Like Yahoo or GMail) 13 votes (14.13%)
I don't have an email address. 1 votes (1.09%)
I like Opera. 0 votes (0%)
I like PMMail. 1 votes (1.09%)
SeaMonkey is my email client. 0 votes (0%)
I use a client that is not listed here. 8 votes (8.70%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll
What Mail Client Do You Use? (Page 4)
Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by cwkmacuser View Post
Hal Itosis - I think it is a real mac program.
Well... there it is.

--EDIT--

Hmm, and i suppose your take on AppleScript is it's a waste of time or something?

Read the replies by Sherman (Official Rep) in these 2 threads:

AppleScript

Applescript support in the future?

Unless they get slammed with requests, it ain't happening anytime soon.

Not good.
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Jun 13, 2009 at 03:04 PM. )
-HI-

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2009, 03:23 PM

I never use Applescript for anything. Don't need it.
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2009, 03:25 PM

Thank goodness we don't need that feature anymore then.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2009, 04:05 PM

In some ways I think that we don't need Applescript for anything, that it's absolutely unnecessary.

I don't really understand the point in creating a whole new language and forcing people that want to script their apps to learn all of this while a rich Unix environment already exists. Just make a command line tool that handles the sorts of things that people would want to script. I would be willing to bet that you can get far more mileage out of a Unix shell than you can get out of Applescript anyway.

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2009, 04:46 PM

^Probably so.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2009, 05:05 PM

Hal Itosis - I think it is a real mac program. I certainly won't pledge for Address Book, because it's kind of silly. Why have a separate program for that? Why not use the one already in Postbox?
What does "separate" program mean anyways ? Why is that a problem ?

Apple Address Book integrates in other apps (e.g. iTunes for iPhone syncing, iPhoto), and it's open to be accessed by 3rd party apps.

All that can't be done with the addresses in Postbox.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2009, 05:06 PM

^Probably so.
Pfff, you don't even know what AppleScript is.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2009, 05:13 PM

cwkmacuser: recreating an address book system in every app that needs one is what you might call creating a "walled garden". Creating an open vCard container as Apple did in Address Book (if it is indeed open) is exactly the right thing to do. It allows developers to write leaner, meaner code without recreating the wheel, and it allows them to get their products out faster too.

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2009, 05:24 PM

Tell me this: Why would I want to open a separate program (that I can't seem to figure out how to use) just to enter an email address? Why wouldn't I use the address book in Postbox? It just doesn't make sense. No other developer is ever going to design a product to work with Address Book because no one else (as far as I know) does things that way. They all make address books in mail clients, that's just the way it's done (normally). Apple Mail is unique and I don't think Postbox is going to get a link-up with Address Book anytime soon.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What does "separate" program mean anyways ? Why is that a problem ?

Apple Address Book integrates in other apps (e.g. iTunes for iPhone syncing, iPhoto), and it's open to be accessed by 3rd party apps.

All that can't be done with the addresses in Postbox.

-t
It means exactly what I said. Address Book is it's own app. Why would you want to go to that trouble? Okay, maybe not. But for email addresses, why not use the one in Postbox. I mean, if I don't have an iPhone, I'm not gonna want to go to that trouble.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 13, 2009, 05:30 PM

The assumption is that a more integrated app would pull data from Address Book as required. Since much of the rest of Mac software that uses addresses does this, duplicating the address book functionality can be seen as "software bloat." For example, I use Entourage, and it has its own address book. (But it's MS, so I'd be surprised about bloat? ) Anyway, Entourage can populate its address book by importing address data from other sources. Not Address Book, of course, so I had to export what I had in Address Book, then import that into Entourage. At this point, I'm looking at address books in my phone, my Yahoo mail, Entourage, Address Book, my PDA, etc... How the heck can I keep 'em all up to date? The answer is that I can't. Which sucks.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2009, 06:06 PM

Tell me this: Why would I want to open a separate program (that I can't seem to figure out how to use) just to enter an email address? Why wouldn't I use the address book in Postbox? It just doesn't make sense. No other developer is ever going to design a product to work with Address Book because no one else (as far as I know) does things that way. They all make address books in mail clients, that's just the way it's done (normally). Apple Mail is unique and I don't think Postbox is going to get a link-up with Address Book anytime soon.
No! This would be letting Microsoft lead the way with the way they designed Outlook. If you really want OS X to be compromised of big Outlook-style monolithic apps, you should use Windows. This is not the Unix way of doing things.

This is not purely philosophical either, I've touched about the pragmatic, tangible realities of creating walled gardens.

I often disagree with Apple's decisions, you know that, but this time they are absolutely right. If Address Book is indeed open, kudos to Apple.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
In some ways I think that we don't need Applescript for anything, that it's absolutely unnecessary.

I don't really understand the point in creating a whole new language and forcing people that want to script their apps to learn all of this while a rich Unix environment already exists. Just make a command line tool that handles the sorts of things that people would want to script. I would be willing to bet that you can get far more mileage out of a Unix shell than you can get out of Applescript anyway.
Show me a Unix shell script that <converts> a Pages doc into a Word doc.

Right now one of my mailboxes in Postbox has over 200 emails from the AppleScript-Users message digest. I would like to save them all to disk... but it doesn't seem as if i can select all and do it in one step. It has to be done one message at a time. I wrote an applescript that did this in Eudora. It renamed their titles (in those days, OS9 only allowed 32 chars or something for a filename in Finder); saved the messages to a Finder folder... and then moved the digests into Eudora's trash. So, when i got back from my vacation and found a ton of email, those digests (and MACSCRPT too) could all be handled by just selecting my script in Eudora's 'Scripts' menu.

Also, I think that an app needs to be "scriptable" in order for other apps to interface and/or communicate with it somehow. Thus, all of that desirable iCal and Address Book integration with Postbox may depend (to some degree) on Postbox being scriptable. [not sure how true that is... but it seems to be implied by certain posts over in the GetSatisfaction forums.]
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Jun 13, 2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added linkage)
-HI-

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2009, 06:41 PM

Alright, I'm done arguing about Address Book. It's an Apple thing, designed for Mail, not Postbox. Ex Mozilla workers did not write the Address Book app, so why would they support it. If you like Address Book, use Mail. Some of us don't need that. I don't use MobileMe or iCal, so I don't need any fancy Address Book stuff. If I want to remember somebody's email, I can just use the built in one in Postbox. I'm not saying that I like Microsoft or Windoze at all. And I don't like Outlook. I'm simply stating that not everyone (and not every developer) agrees with this point of view. I would not mind if the Address Book was a little widget that could be opened/accessed from any mail client (all of the programs that need it share this address book, but it is not it's own app). But making it separated seems silly to me. Alright? I recognize your point of view, but don't agree with it.

I won't deny however, that Postbox does need some work:

Group feature: Yes.
Operating System Integration (such as links from iPhoto): Yes.
OS X Standardized Spell Check: Maybe. Might be nice but is not necessary for the use of the app.

That's my take on the program. Now, please, another topic other than a debate on Address Book...
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2009, 07:46 PM

I would not mind if the Address Book was a little widget that could be opened/accessed from any mail client (all of the programs that need it share this address book, but it is not it's own app).
But that is exactly how it works, ffs. That is precisely the reason why it has to be a separate database. The Address Book app itself is just one of the UI front ends to that database available to the OS. In Mail you never have to actually open Address Book - it opens its own UI for the database within Mail, you can add addresses to the database from within Mail. Address Book just lets you manage that data. Also, it isn't just e-mail clients that make use of the Address Book database. For example, Pages pulls in the information for its mail merge fields from it. Any other properly coded third-party app can do the same.

The way to think of it is that Address Book is the equivalent of iPhoto or iTunes - those apps let you manage the data within them to a higher degree of control, but all other apps that are proper Mac apps get to access and use the same data without having to actually launch those management tools.

Postbox, Thunderbird and Entourage are limiting on OS X because nothing else can access their database of addresses. They are closed shops - only they get to use their own data and nothing else. They suffer the same restrictions by having their own Password managers instead of just using Keychain. It's the antithesis of cross-app integration that you get with proper apps on the Mac.

As a final word on contacts, have you considered the implications for when you need to change your mail client if, for example, you find that Postbox doesn't suit your needs later down the line, or its development grinds to a halt, or if Mail becomes much better than it currently is and you want to switch? All of a sudden, you no longer have your contact data because it is stuck in Postbox. You have to fart around with exporting and importing the information into your new app, praying that it manages to preserve the data with the same headings and formats. By keeping your contact data separate from your mail client, you have the freedom to use any other client you want without having to worry about losing access to years worth of data.

This is one of the huge advantages that OS X has over Windows (XP, at least)... Why is it that I have to teach each and every single app on Windows that my name is not a mis-spelling? Why can't I just do it the once and every app already on my system or every app I ever install (when coded properly) will automatically inherit the learnt words of all the other apps? If I want this feature for spelling, why is it so odd to you that I also want this for my contacts, or my calendars, or my photos, or my music, or my films, etc.?

If the Mozilla developers ever want to get there apps accepted on the Mac by a majority of users instead of a minority as is the current case, then they need to start thinking like Mac developers first instead of like Windows ones. Sadly, it doesn't look like they ever will.
( Last edited by JKT; Jun 13, 2009 at 07:52 PM. )

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 13, 2009, 07:55 PM

Hey!! He said no more address book gobbledegook!!

Great post, btw. Clearly explains what cwk just can't seem to grasp.

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2009, 09:21 PM

That's alright! Thanks for clarifying. OK. So if I used Mail, I would never have to open Address Book? Now that makes sense! I thought they were like separate apps but AB was launched via Mail. Alright. So you just want to be able to add to your contacts via Postbox and sync to Address Book, not have it launch Address Book, right?
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2009, 09:23 PM

You could have just tried it first, no?

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2009, 09:27 PM

Tried what-AB?

Well, I opened Mail once when I first got my PowerBook, used it for a few days, and shut it down because of it's crappy interface. I never use AB in that time. One of my general procedures when setting up a new machine is to delete apps I don't need, including iChat and Mail. I might not have it anymore. I'll check, though.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2009, 09:30 PM

Could you explain the crappy interface part? I know that it's pretty crap at handling IMAP, but interface is the one thing that keeps me using Mail. What's crappy about it?

If you used Mail, even for a bit, you noticed that composing an email featured auto-complete and didn't require you to launch the Address Book app, right?

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2009, 09:34 PM

I just don't like the way it works. It doesn't have a good feel to it.

I don't honestly remember if I ever composed a message with it.

What really drives me crazy is that the first time you open it, you HAVE to set up an account! I hate doing that in a program that I haven't even seen yet.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2009, 09:36 PM

Could someone tell me how to edit AB from Mail? I can't find it. Now if you can't find your address book, there's something wrong with your mail client. See you guys later.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2009, 09:38 PM

You edit entries, etc, in Address Book.app. It's the interface to manage all your "cards." Mail pulls them and uses them so you can type "ada" and it would autocomplete, or typing a name, etc.

If you want to use a mail program to manage your contacts entirely, like adding addresses, phone numbers, etc... why? makes no sense.
( Last edited by 0157988944; Jan 5, 2015 at 05:44 PM. )

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2009, 10:34 PM

See now I'm confused. You DO have to launch AB to edit stuff? I thought you do that right in Mail! That's my point. I am suggesting an address book that is accessed by any program that needs it, but you don't have to launch it separately. See, that's what I mean. Why do i want to launch a separate app? Why not use my mail client if it already has the capabilities that I want?
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2009, 10:36 PM

It means exactly what I said. Address Book is it's own app. Why would you want to go to that trouble? Okay, maybe not. But for email addresses, why not use the one in Postbox. I mean, if I don't have an iPhone, I'm not gonna want to go to that trouble.
You don't make any damn sense.

What trouble ?

If Postbox can't access Apple's Address Book, this piece of crap is not an option anyways. I don't want to store my addresses in several apps, just because they decide not to use Apple's Address Book.

-t

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2009, 10:39 PM

turtle, calm down!

Hey, I just looked. Guess what, all this time, we've been arguing about a problem that does not exist! Postbox DOES support Address Book!
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2009, 10:43 PM

I still dont get why you want to manage your contacts inside the email application. THAT seems backwards to me.

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2009, 10:52 PM

Not at all. I mean, I don't really do it for phone numbers or anything, but I used to use OS/2 before mac (yes, really) and I became accustomed to putting email addresses in my mail client. Makes the most sense to me. Why would I put my addresses in a separate program then go and write my emails with the addresses? Postbox doesn't let you actually change your stuff in Address Book right then and there, you still have to launch it. If there is that integration in the future I would very likely be happy. But my point is, Address Book is compatible with Postbox. (Beta 11 and above - I think).
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2009, 11:01 PM

Whenever you use an address in Mail, it gets added to your address list, yes. You can assign it to a contact from Mail. But to edit the cards and info, you use the address book.

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2009, 11:05 PM

OK. So Postbox isn't quite there yet, but it does support Address Book. Perhaps people overlooked it or maybe it's a new thing in Beta 11.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2009, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
Show me a Unix shell script that <converts> a Pages doc into a Word doc.
There is absolutely nothing preventing such a script or command line accessed binary from being created, it's solely up to those that control these respective file formats. Whether these respective developers provide Applescript or command line support is entirely arbitrary, no?

Right now one of my mailboxes in Postbox has over 200 emails from the AppleScript-Users message digest. I would like to save them all to disk... but it doesn't seem as if i can select all and do it in one step. It has to be done one message at a time. I wrote an applescript that did this in Eudora. It renamed their titles (in those days, OS9 only allowed 32 chars or something for a filename in Finder); saved the messages to a Finder folder... and then moved the digests into Eudora's trash. So, when i got back from my vacation and found a ton of email, those digests (and MACSCRPT too) could all be handled by just selecting my script in Eudora's 'Scripts' menu.

Also, I think that an app needs to be "scriptable" in order for other apps to interface and/or communicate with it somehow. Thus, all of that desirable iCal and Address Book integration with Postbox may depend (to some degree) on Postbox being scriptable. [not sure how true that is... but it seems to be implied by certain posts over in the GetSatisfaction forums.]

You are approaching this at a much higher level than perhaps you ought to. There are a number of ways to do this without relying on a mail client such as Eudora. One way that comes to mind is via a Perl script, assuming that we are talking about an IMAP mailbox here. This is literally just a few lines of code. Doing this would also produce portable code that is not dependent on a mail client as sort of a weird intermediary.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2009, 12:55 AM

There is absolutely nothing preventing such a script or command line accessed binary from being created, it's solely up to those that control these respective file formats. Whether these respective developers provide Applescript or command line support is entirely arbitrary, no?
All good. But -- until someone can produce that shell script -- guess which one folks are going to use.

You are approaching this at a much higher level than perhaps you ought to. There are a number of ways to do this without relying on a mail client such as Eudora. One way that comes to mind is via a Perl script, assuming that we are talking about an IMAP mailbox here. This is literally just a few lines of code. Doing this would also produce portable code that is not dependent on a mail client as sort of a weird intermediary.
Now that does sound better, and more practical as well. But right now i don't seem to be able to obtain the necessary 'knack' for Perl. [it busts my chops way more than Bash+sed, etc., ever did.] Perhaps i haven't put in enough time... seems like one would need to be using Perl almost daily to develop a comfortable feel for it. Perl is to scripting as what shorthand is to writing. Need to memorize a lot of strange stuff... idunno.
-HI-

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2009, 01:13 AM

It's not as bad as you think. The thing to realize is that there are modules available on CPAN for damn near everything, many of them are more or less plug and go. You wouldn't want to do this with virgin Perl... For instance, take a look at the following examples for Mail::IMAPClient:

Code:
use Mail::IMAPClient; my $imap = Mail::IMAPClient->new( Server => 'localhost', User => 'username', Password => 'password', Ssl => 1, Uid => 1, ); my $folders = $imap->folders or die "List folders error: ", $imap->LastError, "\n"; print "Folders: @$folders\n"; $imap->select( $Opt{folder} ) or die "Select '$Opt{folder}' error: ", $imap->LastError, "\n"; $imap->fetch_hash("FLAGS", "INTERNALDATE", "RFC822.SIZE") or die "Fetch hash '$Opt{folder}' error: ", $imap->LastError, "\n"; $imap->logout or die "Logout error: ", $imap->LastError, "\n";

As you can see, the connection part is just plug and play. The rest is pretty straight forward once you learn the syntax for basic Perl data structures such as hashes.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2009, 01:23 AM

There are several other modules that will do what you want too, I just grabbed the first one I saw:

The CPAN Search Site - search.cpan.org

I did use at least a few of these on multiple occasions in the past, these will yield fruit.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2009, 02:09 AM

OK. So Postbox isn't quite there yet, but it does support Address Book. Perhaps people overlooked it or maybe it's a new thing in Beta 11.
The problem is that you are completely ignorant about Apple's Address Book, and even Postfix, and on top of that, you argue for things that only make sense for you (no need of phone numbers, gathering email addys in email clients etc...), because you have done them ass-backwards all your life.

Dude, this is just not a good way of arguing on teh intarwebs.

-t

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2009, 08:38 AM

Just to clarify - I never said that you don't ever need to use Address Book, just that it isn't necessary to use it separately from Mail if all you want to do is add contacts and use the info for contacts that are already added. Address Book is still needed to manage contact information much like iPhoto is needed to manage your photo collection.

I just took another look at Postbox - your right, it does half support Address Book. I didn't notice this before when I first tried it because the UI is terrible here; why do I need a listing of Contacts - which is what I looked at in my initial trial and assumed was the address book for the app - and a separate address book as well, and why is only one of them made obvious in the interface?

Fwiw, as you can't add to or edit any of your contacts in the system's Address Book database from within Postbox it is still a fail. If they manage to get rid of their own Contacts and just let users make full use of the system's Address Book, then they'll be getting closer to being a Mac app. However, this is almost as poor an integration experience as Entourage's workaround is.

(Incidentally, Postbox it is now at beta 12, if you haven't updated yet.)

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 14, 2009, 09:02 PM

I just got the newest one. I didn't want to bother earlier.

JKT - OK. But I think Postbox developers should not eliminate their own address book. That doesn't mean they can't support Address Book.app

turtle - Just chill, dude. Next time you do that I'm reporting your post.
Seriously, I'm 13. Handle me with kid gloves. I'm not your average member.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2009, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
The problem is that you are completely ignorant about Apple's Address Book, and even Postfix, and on top of that, you argue for things that only make sense for you (no need of phone numbers, gathering email addys in email clients etc...), because you have done them ass-backwards all your life.

Dude, this is just not a good way of arguing on teh intarwebs.

-t

I'm assuming you mean Postbox and not Postfix?

cwkmacuser  (op)
Senior User
Jun 14, 2009, 11:07 PM

I would assume that's what he meant.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Forum Links
Forum Rules