Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams

Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams (Page 2)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2009, 12:29 PM

I'll give it a whirl, especially since it seems a decent amount of NNers will buy Bioshock 2. However, I am not entirely convinced the multi will be anything other than a short distraction.

Are you planning on buying this game, Dakar?

Dakar V  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2009, 12:31 PM

Oh yes. Can't say I give a damn about the multi.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2009, 12:58 PM

Well then, I look forward to teabagging you with my plasmid-drenched balls.

Dakar V  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2009, 01:12 PM

Dammit, I can't find a pic of the hypnotize Big Daddy plasmid, which would be perfect for your comment.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2009, 04:39 PM

Sorry guys. I don't plan on buying this game.

My brother is getting me a free copy. Teabag that!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Dakar V  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2009, 04:43 PM

At least I didn't have to play Superman: Returns.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
At least I didn't have to play Superman: Returns.

That reminds me.....

(off to the achievement thread)

Dakar V  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2009, 03:22 PM

Kotaku - Bioshock 2 Will Explore Other Philosophies, More Moral Choices - E3

"I don't think it would be Bioshock if we said the only thing that really happend was this," Finley said. "The choice the player made, whatever it was, was a valid one."

In the years since Ryan's departure the city has continued to struggle.

"There has been a power play," Finley said, " by other people who have other schools of thought have. That's going to give us an opportunity to tell some different stories, show some different ideologies."

Dakar V  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2009, 12:06 PM

BioShock 2 given another helping hand in Arkane Studios

Sounds like they brought more people in in a push to hit deadline (This thing is due out in what, two months?).

Not a very encouraging sign. Even if its a very good game conceptually, this sort of hustle will all but guarantee an unpolished and untested (read: probably buggy) experience.

I forsee an early patch for one.

Dakar V  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 04:29 PM

Sounds like they brought more people in in a push to hit deadline (This thing is due out in what, two months?).
Called it!

BioShock 2 Delayed To FY 2010 - bioshock 2 - Kotaku
Officially, Take-Two blames the delay on the need to "provide additional development time for the title."

Fine by me, the fall was jam-packed anyway.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 05:56 PM

Cool, this gives me more time to beat the first Bioshock.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2009, 08:23 PM

Same here

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2009, 11:42 PM

Fine by me, the fall was jam-packed anyway.
As much as i can't wait to play this game, i'm glad its delayed, gives it time to A: live up to the hype of Bioshock 1 & B: Gives me more time to beat the other 10 games i'm buying come fall.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2010, 01:26 PM

BioShock 2 Director Explains Vita-Chamber Changes, Backtracking Prohibition - bioshock 2 - Kotaku
The other design decision Thomas detailed for Kotaku was the recent discovery — in the preview build I reported on yesterday — that players won't be able to backtrack and visit any of the game's large levels once they leave them. While I suspected a narrative reason for this, Thomas said the decision was more of a technical one.

"A lot of people don't know this, but the amount of backtracking most players physically did in BioShock was minimal. The amount of effort that went into supporting it was immense. We came down to having to choose between supporting backtracking and much more interesting, readable features ...and decided to invest in things we thought people would actually notice. We also got some knock-on benefits like shorter loading times because of the way the memory was structured once backtracking was no longer an issue."
Kind of disappointing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2010, 01:35 PM

I backtracked the sh!t out of BS, WTF?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2010, 01:43 PM

It's not very hard to notice the original director is not around. Continuity > Long loading times

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2010, 01:45 PM

Something I've noticed is very important in a game for me is the ability to re-visit areas. It wasn't a necessity in BS, but it was still neat to go back to Neptune's Bounty near the end of the game and kill a Rosie or two for kicks.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 13, 2010, 01:46 PM

I remember going back to places to pick up potions and get upgrades not available in other places.

Not to mention one or two of the audio diaries I missed.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I remember going back to places to pick up potions and get upgrades not available in other places.

Not to mention one or two of the audio diaries I missed.
Yes, I did that too, to knock off a couple of achievements. The Bathosphere allowed you to go back to any level at any time.

The other thing I did was saved multiple times on a level to separate saves. I killed off that musician guy and couldn't get in his room for the achievement and couldn't get that last gun upgrade for another achievement, so I went back to an old save before I killed him to get a couple of achievments.

But I would prefer having the ability to backtrack over using an old save. Because using an old save, I had to replay a certain percent of the game.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2010, 04:39 PM

Damn this game was a huge disappointment for me to the point where this is one of the rare times I vent about a game online. Biggest problem... I breezed though it in 2 days! Must have been under 10 hours total gameplay with every corner explored.

I liked the first one but didn't love it. The art direction was top notch. The whole little sister/Big daddy combo was pretty unique and well done. The setting was one of the coolest things ever. The city felt very authentic and detailed. The story confused the hell out of me though and i felt the levels sorta all looked the same.

In part 2 it seems all of the wonderment and creativity of the city is gone. It doesn't feel alive, everything is still leaking, no interesting looking new parts of the city the city is no longer a character.
I can't remember in detail exactly how any room looked in detail as it was too bland.

The times you do go outside underwater it is pretty but looks like an alien planet rather than deep sea and there isn't anything to do but walk from one door to the next.

The whole big sister thing is cool but she is nowhere as much fun to fight as a Big Daddy in the first game.

I finished the game unexpectedly as there was no final boss! Only an arena for the same old splicers swarming the room for 2 min. Done.

Once the game is over it doesn't even put you back at the start with upgrades or anything. Just every time you continue the finished game it puts you 5 min before the ending again. This is also lame as you can easily watch both alternative endings as one big choice is given right at the end.

I also easily spend 75% of the time playing the game just looking for the inventory they scatter and hide all over the place. Every body, fridge, desk, toilet, garbage can has items you NEED to survive the game. When I think of the game the first thing that comes to mind is walking looking at the ground hitting the A button to pick up anything without even bothering to read what it is.

But really... the worst part was in the first 20% of the game I died 20x. Then I got a couple suit and weapon upgraded and I did not die a SINGLE TIME for the remaining 80% of the game. I couldn't even tell the "bosses" apart from the regular bad guys in the room until they were dead. This was all on the normal setting.

It's not all bad though. Most of the game is still pretty fun just really nowhere near the same quality of the first and it is over in a flash for $60.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2010, 07:23 PM

Hm.. well this actually has me interested in playing Bioshock 1..

I've been holding it off, since my little encounter with System Shock 2. Perhaps this is worth looking into
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2010, 02:45 PM

This is exactly what I hate about game reviews. BS2 got rather univasal good reviews when it came out.

Now after a week after the fanboy mode has worn off the reviewers take a slightly different tone on it and admit it isn't so great.

I remember the same thing happened with one of the star wars rouge sequels for Gamecube which the reviewers reviewed and LOVED it but months after the fact admit it was the worst one and full of problems. They also gave perfect Dark for 360 9.8 and 10.0 scores and I think everyone can now admit it was horrible.

BioShock 2: Second Opinions - PlayStation 3 Feature at IGN

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Damn this game was a huge disappointment for me to the point where this is one of the rare times I vent about a game online. Biggest problem... I breezed though it in 2 days! Must have been under 10 hours total gameplay with every corner explored.

I liked the first one but didn't love it. The art direction was top notch. The whole little sister/Big daddy combo was pretty unique and well done. The setting was one of the coolest things ever. The city felt very authentic and detailed. The story confused the hell out of me though and i felt the levels sorta all looked the same.

In part 2 it seems all of the wonderment and creativity of the city is gone. It doesn't feel alive, everything is still leaking, no interesting looking new parts of the city the city is no longer a character.
I can't remember in detail exactly how any room looked in detail as it was too bland.

The times you do go outside underwater it is pretty but looks like an alien planet rather than deep sea and there isn't anything to do but walk from one door to the next.

The whole big sister thing is cool but she is nowhere as much fun to fight as a Big Daddy in the first game.

I finished the game unexpectedly as there was no final boss! Only an arena for the same old splicers swarming the room for 2 min. Done.

Once the game is over it doesn't even put you back at the start with upgrades or anything. Just every time you continue the finished game it puts you 5 min before the ending again. This is also lame as you can easily watch both alternative endings as one big choice is given right at the end.

I also easily spend 75% of the time playing the game just looking for the inventory they scatter and hide all over the place. Every body, fridge, desk, toilet, garbage can has items you NEED to survive the game. When I think of the game the first thing that comes to mind is walking looking at the ground hitting the A button to pick up anything without even bothering to read what it is.

But really... the worst part was in the first 20% of the game I died 20x. Then I got a couple suit and weapon upgraded and I did not die a SINGLE TIME for the remaining 80% of the game. I couldn't even tell the "bosses" apart from the regular bad guys in the room until they were dead. This was all on the normal setting.

It's not all bad though. Most of the game is still pretty fun just really nowhere near the same quality of the first and it is over in a flash for $60.
That's disappointing to hear. I loved the first Bioshock (it actually became my fav FPS of all time until Fallout 3 came out and blew it away) and was excited for Bioshock 2. I guess I'll steer clear of it unless I find a cheap used copy.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
That's disappointing to hear. I loved the first Bioshock (it actually became my fav FPS of all time until Fallout 3 came out and blew it away) and was excited for Bioshock 2. I guess I'll steer clear of it unless I find a cheap used copy.
Well if you loved it that much you prob still have to buy it just be ready to be disappointed.

Get it used or borrow it for 2 days to finish it.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2010, 01:46 PM

I loved the first game, i thought that it was one of the best games i had ever played (until that terrible final boss) and although Bioshock 2 isn't a brand new story/world/gameplay its definitely more refined than the first. I've finished my first play-through of the single player and while not the shocking run and new experience the first game was, its definitely worth playing for any bioshock fan.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2010, 04:02 PM

Any news on the multiplayer?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2010, 04:17 PM

At work, but multiplayer review coming tonight. Just for you mr fatty

as a teaser , good news and bad news about multi

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2010, 04:19 PM

I'm so teased!

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2010, 06:29 PM

I've heard that before...

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2010, 12:12 PM

Bogues Multiplayer Review:

For the first hour to two that i played multiplayer it was not only annoying but seemed gimmicky like a after thought to the original game and just an addition to put as a bullet point on the back of the game (turns out i just sucked, and was playing like this is MW in Rapture). But after some more time and trials of different modes my feelings changed.

Its definitely not a MW2 type of Multi (for me) and i don't see my self putting in the hours that i will in MW2 but after getting used to the type of game play needed to succeed I quickly changed my games of 1 - 18/ 3 - 22 to some slightly positive numbers 14 - 10/ 10 - 8.

The gameplay itself plays exactly like Bioshock, the multiplayer has different "load-outs" similar to classes in MW and "trials" (Challenges in MW) that allow you to unlock plasmids/guns/upgrades/armor/clothing/characters. There are some great unlocks and trials that keep me addicted to ranking up (just like MW). Now that i have a few hours in (originally only to get some easy achievements) i'm really surprised how much i'm playing multi. The different game types CTF(capture the sister) and death match (Rapture Civil War) etc. are a good time.

The levels themselves play just like the rapture single player experience and you can research enemies you killed which gives a boost of damage on that player, also you can hack turrets/vending machines to make traps. The matches themselves are EXTREMELY high paced and different tactics are required to actually win a consistent amount of games.

A great feature is the Big Daddy, during a Civil War or FFA match randomly a big daddy suit will appear in the level, first player to grab it becomes the giant monster until death (i've gone on more than one 10+ kill streak while being Mr. Bubbles). ALso during a CTF (sister game) one person will start as the daddy to help protect the sister while she harvests ADAM. All in all, good times.

In the end the SIngle Player experience gets a 9/10 for me
The multiplayer SHOCKINGLY gets a 7.5/10 (prior to release i would say Multi was a throw away IMO)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2010, 12:19 PM

Hmmm, I know I'm going to buy this game eventually, but if I start seeing Dakar and you playing multi that's going to be the nail in the coffin.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2010, 12:23 PM

I have a feeling I'm going to sit on this until late spring/early summer. If I'm going to play a game other than MW2 right now, it needs to be not an FPS.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2010, 12:50 PM

I have a feeling I'm going to sit on this until late spring/early summer. If I'm going to play a game other than MW2 right now, it needs to be not an FPS.
Well i could use some teammates for the multi, i don't plan on trading this is anytime soon and i'm sure i won't level up to max by then so if you ladies decide to pick it up, it will be the shot in the arm i need to get back and finish off the achieves, until then....

i'm going to freeze some bitches and melee them with a wrench...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2010, 12:51 PM

It's on my shelf. I already have it.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2010, 12:53 PM

It's on my shelf. I already have it.
wtf? how can you look at it staring you down and not want to explore some rapture and kill some big sisters

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2010, 12:55 PM

Like I said, not in the mood for another FPS.

Edit: Actually, I've been craving Burnout and Fable lately. Which is exactly what I was doing last year around this time. Because GoW2 multi sucked.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2010, 01:00 PM

Like I said, not in the mood for another FPS.

Edit: Actually, I've been craving Burnout and Fable lately. Which is exactly what I was doing last year around this time. Because GoW2 multi sucked.
Burnout you say....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2010, 01:06 PM

To be clear, Bogues, the reason I already have Bioshock is I got a $40 credit for picking up Borderlands for me and a friend in October, which had to be used by 2010. So I pre-ordered it, paid $13, and got notified they added a $10 credit to the game after that, which I'll have to figure out what to spend on in a month or two.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2010, 01:35 PM

To be clear, Bogues, the reason I already have Bioshock is I got a $40 credit for picking up Borderlands for me and a friend in October, which had to be used by 2010. So I pre-ordered it, paid $13, and got notified they added a $10 credit to the game after that, which I'll have to figure out what to spend on in a month or two.
nice deal, i don't have any purchase plans up and coming except for Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Borrowed Splinter Cell Double Agent from a friend just for a side project from bioshock/MW2

what are you planning on spending that 10$ on

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2010, 01:37 PM

I don't know. Nothing's caught my eye.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Burnout you say....
What? Did someone say something about a Burnout meet up?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Borrowed Splinter Cell Double Agent from a friend just for a side project from bioshock/MW2
Is that game any good? It's been sitting on my shelf for over a year.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2010, 02:28 PM

I would do it. Probably not more than an hour or so (There's MW2 to be played, damn it!), but I'd do it.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2010, 02:30 PM

I would do it. Probably not more than an hour or so (There's MW2 to be played, damn it!), but I'd do it.
I'd be down if we could get 3/4 of us

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Is that game any good? It's been sitting on my shelf for over a year.
well i'm a HUGE fan of all the previous games, its pretty good (as long as you like splinter cell games previous). I'm not really into the multiplayer (hopefully Conviction's co-op will change that...hopefully i have 1/2 NN' gamers to go through with)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2010, 03:09 PM

Not tonight dammit, I have tomorrow off and I'm sans-g/f so I expect lots of MW2!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2010, 03:11 PM

Duh, not tonight. It'd have to be on a weekend, when there's lots of time for gaming.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2010, 05:07 PM

No, let's make it tonight. Out of spite for Fatty never buying Burnout Paradise.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2010, 05:09 PM

Hmmm... spite is a pretty good reason.

downinflames68
Baninated
Mar 2, 2010, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Meh, personally I'm not concerned about the multi player aspect of Bioshock. I treat it like the multi player of GTA4.
GTAIV multiplayer is ridiculously fun. ??? So... wut?

Forum Links
Forum Rules