Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Scanner for iMac

Scanner for iMac
bishee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2010, 04:32 PM

Hi, All

I am a pc==> iMac convert. This is my first post and would appreciate some advice.

I need a sheet-feeding scanner that will work with my new iMac 27" 3.06MhZ Core 2 Duo Mac OSX (Snow Leopard, I think), I was about to buy a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M when I read comments that there are no current drivers for Snow Leopard ... and none in the pipeline.

Could someone direct me to a sheet-feeding scanner that will work.

I think a workaround might be to install my existing Fujitsu Scansnap FI-5110C to a Windoze partition ... but since I have converted to Apple, i am lothe to be tempted back to M-------t.

Thanks

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2010, 05:52 PM

If you use Vuescan, you can use just about any scanner.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 27, 2010, 07:21 PM

I like my Canon Pixma MX310 all-in-one. Works great with Macs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacPC
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2010, 11:26 PM

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2010, 11:34 PM

I think the excellent SnapScan products have all been Mac compatible for at least a few years.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2010, 03:00 AM

A friend of mine bought a very inexpensive Canon LiDE 100. There are drivers for both Leopard and SL. She's quite happy with it.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2010, 03:07 AM

the scansnap DOES have SL drivers, and even the older drivers work with SL (but the software toolbox crashes). It is plain and simply an awesome scanner, albeit a bit pricey. I would totally and 100% go for it if you're looking for a fast and easy quality scanner. Its a huge plus that it folds up and takes up a very small amount of space on your desk. It even works under Fusion with windows.

DewD
Apr 24, 2010, 02:18 PM

stay away from anything HP.

really

bishee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2010, 06:29 AM

Thank you all.

I DID buy a Fujitsu Scansnap S1500M but, despite the ads saying it was Mac compatible, it did not scan to folder and an error popped up. I contacted the supplier Trade Scanners - document management, scanners, high speed document management scanners, document scanners, canon scanners, fujitsu scanners, kodak scanners, panasonic scanners, invu, invu document management software, they did not reply, despite several emails. A search at the Fujitsu website revealed that this is a known problem and they suggest removing the bundled new installation software and downloading the old software. This I did and now it is working a treat, with no problems.

Now, I would like some software that does a good job at identifying what I am scanning and filing it into a searchable database for ease of finding. I have loads of paperwork that I want gone - but not hidden so much in the depths of the drive's innards that i cannot ever locate it again. Does anyone use Scantango or any other user-friendly post-scanning archiving software??

Thanks

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 25, 2010, 07:19 AM

Identifying what you're scanning how? OCR then content? Just OCR? Your request is pretty broad at the moment.

For what it's worth, Canon bundled OmniPage SE with my MX310 all-in-one, and it's pretty passable, though of course it gets much better accuracy with slower, higher-res scans.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 25, 2010, 02:17 PM

I mostly use the neatreceipts program, but receiptwallet or idocument would be the ones I'd consider if I didn't.

It depends on what you want to accomplish. Some people would have other approaches.

bishee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2010, 03:33 PM

Yes - this is a broad request.

Scantango fro Mac reckons it can scan and file. I had a program called Scan and Sortit in windoze that OCR'd the scanned document and made a fairly good guess as to which folder in the searchable database it placed the image in. Great for batch processing .... without which one would have to manually enter a descriptive enough document title. I wondered if there was something clever enough for the Mac that would do the job similarly.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 28, 2010, 10:19 AM

neatreceipts OCRs and attempts to determine the type loosely - receipt, document, contact.

Beyond that, you can create smart folders that it filters on what what it OCRs.

So you can sort of accomplish this, but it's imperfect. That is, I'll get some receipts that it thinks are documents. Change type, re-analyze, and it fixes it, but there's room for refinement.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2010, 02:51 PM

Good to know you're enjoying it. Thats the one we have and for a small business, you just can't beat its combination of ease-of-use-for-aging-fathers, small footprint, and quality.

Forum Links
Forum Rules