Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Listening to Lady Gaga ...

Listening to Lady Gaga ...
HamSandwich
Mar 8, 2014, 07:32 AM

Hi,

I didn't listen so much Pokerface and Paparazzi... I thought it was maybe just the sort of eccentric appearance of LG and an electropop wave that would go soon enough. I liked Marry the Night, though. The whole Born this Way album has something. I cannot really say now it was experimental, but maybe it was for her. Also may have helped train this gorgeous voice. I know Artpop met mixed receptions, but I was suprised a bit again. I watched the iTunes concert, I thought the choreography was good, and I thought there was real development in the whole style - big departure from The Fame.

Pete

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2014, 08:56 AM

I like "Poker Face" and "Love Game". Not really with "Paparazzi".

Nothing post those two has really caught me, though I like her schtick.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2014, 04:10 PM

I like gaga too so much ! it started after I heard Bad Romance pounding in a Nairobi shopping mall, then the awesome Born this way video while I was in the gym. She's amazing and sure to deliver a stunning performance and her clothing are such works of art. Lately I have put "Do what you want" on repeat in my car
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

HamSandwich
Mar 9, 2014, 05:24 PM

:-)

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2014, 06:08 PM

I forgot about "Bad Romance". That's not bad. It's very spare. I think she made it with the intent of letting people remix it easily, but I haven't found a remix which really works.

HamSandwich
Mar 13, 2014, 08:44 AM

How about "Marry the Night"? How about "Dope"? How about "Manicure"? I think she's starting to get more broadth...
( Last edited by HamSandwich; Mar 14, 2014 at 04:27 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2014, 11:08 AM

These are songs I may have heard in passing, but I'm not really familiar with any of them.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2014, 06:57 PM

Listening to Lady Gaga
Seldom on a voluntary basis.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

HamSandwich
Mar 14, 2014, 04:37 AM

Hey,

discussing music is often not so easy, I find. I don't know about others, but no matter if it is about movies, literature, music or anything, I often think you should not be shocked entirely when you are first confronted. I like getting something I already know, then finding something new, leading me to other places. I think, like with Rammstein, and maybe some Metal stuff etc. back from a few decades, people may have been shocked a bit, however, eventually finding they could go along with it anyway.

So, I like how some songs often only appear a bit overly obvious with Gaga, there is no intention to create profound texts or anything, it is more about the music and the experience. "Dope" for instance is really like a love ballade, so it is about a lover whom she likes even more than her dope. It is fun, rather poking fun at text in pop music - with her, it is all about drugs, sex, love and joy anyway, no World War II, freeing of women, bad dads or finally moving out after school.
Maybe Artpop is one of those albums better viewed as concert and experience than simply as music. I really liked this concert. They also added the iTunes conert to the double CD you can buy Artpop as, so you get a DVD, in case you can still play these. Honestly, I still buy CDs, I don't get the hang of all this modernistic downloading and on-demand content, I even read books.

Greetings,
Pete

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2014, 04:18 PM

I'll only buy a CD if given no other choice. I rip it, and it goes in storage somewhere. Not really even sure where that is at this point. It's been over a year since I've bought one.

Legacy physical media blows. I can fit close to a terabyte on a thumb drive, but I need a 5" disc for 700 megabytes?

andi*pandi
Mar 16, 2014, 02:58 PM

I have her born this way album, er files, via a sale at amazon. I do like bad romance but don't get much craving to listen.

subego, I still like physical media, even if it just goes in a box, because it's insurance against amazon/apple someday deciding that no, I was really just renting all that music and I have to go buy it yet again. Plus it's still easier to grab one album and play it in the car then making a playlist, syncing, etc.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2014, 03:54 PM

That's only a problem if the stuff you're using has DRM.

With me, that's Kindle Books, and Mythbusters. I could scrub the Kindle books if I really felt like it, and I watch the Mythbusters close enough to buying it I'm not worried about the license being revoked.

iTunes music is DRM free, as are PDFs from Drive-Thru RPG, of which I have a pretty ridiculous collection.

Luckily, I don't have to drive much, so I use it as an opportunity to listen to NPR.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 16, 2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
With me, that's Kindle Books, and Mythbusters. I could scrub the Kindle books if I really felt like it, and I watch the Mythbusters close enough to buying it I'm not worried about the license being revoked.
Check out /r/smyths.

This is a sub-reddit to share/discuss fan-edits of Mythbusters episodes. These 'Streamline' edits run shorter because they are missing teasers, cartoons, flashbacks, repetition, idents, history lessons, fun facts, "we're experts", and anything else that slows down the show.
At some point I just snapped and I can no longer watch shows that spend half their time either recapping everything that's already happened or spoiling everything that's about to happen.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2014, 06:41 PM

That's tempting.

andi*pandi
Mar 16, 2014, 11:27 PM

that sounds like an awesome version of mythbusters. I suppose all the padding/recaps is there for the casual viewer who just turned in halfway thru... but do we do that anymore?

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2014, 02:26 AM

Or forget what happened during the commercials we all fast forward through now.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 17, 2014, 06:10 AM

I think it's one of the reasons I can't get into Top Gear USA - it's designed to catch people between commercial breaks, most of the time is spent spoiling things happening later or recapping things that already happened. Yes, it's hilarious that two of the guys almost got hit by a semi going backwards down a hill out of control, but by the time it actually happens in the show I've already seen it four times. So...I'm sick of it and it's not entertaining by then.

finboy
Mar 17, 2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
How about "Marry the Night"? How about "Dope"? How about "Manicure"? I think she's starting to get more broadth...
The "Dope" performance at the awards show (whatever it was) was amazing IMO. I didn't care anything about listening to LG until Weird Al fought with her over "Perform This Way." That piqued my interest (I still like his version better). I think her production is top notch - there is so much depth many of her songs, or maybe I should describe it as texture. Lyrics? Meh... some are OK, some are better. But there is so much layering of sound in her stuff - Born This Way being a good example, or Americano. She's talented, and not just vocally. She has a vision, and maybe I'm cynical a bit, but she's manufactured a complete image the way Michael Jackson did. She's at least as talented as MJ, without all of the baggage of growing up under the lights. For me, though, all of that stuff is a distraction. I like the dance mixes and vocals, and if/when that ends I won't be paying attention anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules