Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help with new powermac

Help with new powermac
seventn
Sep 10, 2002, 09:14 PM

I just got a new Quicksilver last week and been havin' lot o fun with it! But now's the time to stick my old IDE hard drive into the new computer and transfer stuff....but but wait...the drive doesn't mount!!

Doesn't mount in 9 OR X. I've tried Silverlining, Disk tool, boot from here boot from there...jumper settings...and it goes on. If the disk is set to be master I get the flashing floppy. The system is probably damaged but could I recover the files at least? Or maybe just mount it long enough to low level initialise?

Do you guys have any idea?

thanks

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2002, 10:17 PM

This may be stupid, but have you tried all the possible jumper settings? Cable select, slave, troubleshoot....etc-Maybe a different molex power connector?
Am I still here?

seventn  (op)
Sep 10, 2002, 10:28 PM

Yeah, I even tried it in 3 different G4s...Usually Silverlining does it

reader50
Administrator
Sep 11, 2002, 12:09 AM

Check the jumper settings on the factory supplied HD in your new PowerMac. When a new Mac comes from the factory with a single ATA HD, the HD is usually set to "Single" rather than Master. To install a 2nd HD on the same cable, you should first switch the factory HD to Master, and set your old HD to Slave.

Also, run Disk First Aid (or other repair utilities) on the factory HD before trying anything else, it may have taken some damage during your testing. If the old HD had actually mounted, your factory HD (if it is set to Single) would certainly have taken damage.

Combinations that do not work
  • Single + anything else: the Single HD may get trashed.
  • Master + Master: either or both HDs may get trashed.
  • Slave + Slave: either or both HDs may get trashed.
  • Cable select: not sure what would happen, because Apple has never used this, and it will not work.
Combinations that work
  • Single (one HD): works good
  • Master (one HD): works, but delay on bootup
  • Slave (one HD): works, but delay on bootup
  • Master + Slave: works good
Note 1, when two HDs are on the same cable, it does not matter which is Master. Some PC systems are sensitive to which is Master, Macs do not care. So you could also set your factory HD to Slave and the old HD to Master, and it would work fine.

Note 2, about using Master or Slave for a single HD: If your Mac boots up with just one HD, but finds it set to Master or Slave, it will waste a fair amount of time looking for the other HD. This could go up to 60 seconds of startup delay, before the system gives up and continues the bootup. Setting a solo HD to Single eliminates the delay, which is why the factory ships them like this.

Note 3, the above info is true for Sawtooth. Later revisions of Apple's ATA controller and the boot firmware might change some of these details, but probably would not.
( Last edited by reader50; Sep 11, 2002 at 01:26 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules