Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Upgrading logic board on Beige G3 MT

Upgrading logic board on Beige G3 MT
mcz0119
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2003, 11:59 PM

I have a Beige G3/266 Mhz MT that I want to upgrade with a better logic board and processor. Can this be done and where can I buy the board? Or, should I just upgrade the processor? If I upgrade the processor will I be able to use USB keyboards and mice? can I use any monitor?
Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Miguel

itomato
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 01:31 PM

another, higher rev. G3 board will be an exact replacement for the board that's in it. The only reason I can see to upgrade the logic board itself is to get a slightly better version of the onboard video chip.

You can upgrade the ROM to get both master/slave recognized on both ATA channels, and upgrade the CPU. Both are replaceable independently of the mobo.

I don't know if there are any other Mac logic boards that will fit in that case.

Add in a PCI USB card and you get access to all USB peripherals, but the USB keyboard and mouse aren't recognized until the OS loads the extensions.

Add a PCI video card, and you can use just about any monitor you wish.
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

Forum Links
Forum Rules