Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Difference between the two 15" Ti's?

Difference between the two 15" Ti's?
MacKnewbie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2003, 12:17 PM

I am considering picking up one of the 15" PB's. I'm not sure which to pick up. There is the obvious price difference which is a big deal. There is the ram but I am going to max the ram out either way. One has a SuperDrive, the other a combo drive but I don't need a DVD-R so that doesn't matter to me. From what I can tell, the two biggest difference that I think will matter tome is the processor speed (one is 867 and one is 1 ghz) and the Video card difference (one is 32 mb and the other is 64 mb). I'm going to be using my computer to run Pro Tools a bit since I am a student going to school to learn that stuff. I also like to game a bit but nothing hard core. The money can be an issue but if it is really worth it than I can dish it out. I just need some opinions on this. Thanks!

macnnhelpme
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2003, 12:21 PM

Personally I'd go for the cheaper model and spend the extra money on applecare. Carrying it around on a daily basis, well, it's worth it for the added insurance.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by MacKnewbie:
I am considering picking up one of the 15" PB's. I'm not sure which to pick up. There is the obvious price difference which is a big deal. There is the ram but I am going to max the ram out either way. One has a SuperDrive, the other a combo drive but I don't need a DVD-R so that doesn't matter to me. From what I can tell, the two biggest difference that I think will matter tome is the processor speed (one is 867 and one is 1 ghz) and the Video card difference (one is 32 mb and the other is 64 mb). I'm going to be using my computer to run Pro Tools a bit since I am a student going to school to learn that stuff. I also like to game a bit but nothing hard core. The money can be an issue but if it is really worth it than I can dish it out. I just need some opinions on this. Thanks!
Honestly, I recommend getting the 1Ghz model....

The extra 32Mb of VRAM shouldn't be underestimated. It helps marginally in current gaming performance... but will no doubt increase it's longevity over the 32Mb models for future games/apps.

Keep in mind also, that Apple seems to be really into adding new graphical tricks to OSX which use the GPU... again, the extra 32Mb will do nothing but ensure that you're OK for emerging technologies for a little while longer.

I'd get AppleCare either way.... and if it came down to buying a 1Ghz or a 867 w/ AppleCare I'd definitely take the 867, just because you're a student and the AppleCare would be DAMN handy to have around.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 12:47 PM

I would also recommend the 1GHz model, but if the SuperDrive isn't necessary, you can do a custom order through the Apple Store and substitute the combo, saving $200. I agree with juanpacolopez, the extra speed and VRAM make it a bit more future-proof. The bigger hard drive doesn't hurt, either.

schmoe
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2003, 01:28 PM

Agreed on the VRAM, my rev. b 667mhz had the original 16mb Radeon card and that was the bare minimum for Quartz Extreme when Jaguar came out. Wouldn't be surprised if Panther likes more than 32mb.

The extra 133mhz will pay off when the next revision hits too, you'll only be 2-300mhz below and probably wouldn't notice the improvement =)

MacKnewbie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2003, 01:50 PM

the apple website says 5 hours for the battery on each of these models. Is that accurate? Is the battery life going to be the same with the 1ghz and the 867 mhz?

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2003, 02:09 PM

Go for the 1ghz one, and make sure 60Gb HD is selected. Furthermore get the Single 512MB chip, and then buy another 512 from www.crucial.com. Save some cash

todrain
Senior User
Jul 18, 2003, 02:10 PM

I think the 1ghz is slightly less than the life of the 867... Superdrive and processor take a little more power.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2003, 03:06 PM

the apple website says 5 hours for the battery on each of these models. Is that accurate? Is the battery life going to be the same with the 1ghz and the 867 mhz?
I suppose if you turned the screen brightness ALL THE WAY DOWN, turned off sound, made sure there was no CD in the drive to spin up, and turned on "reduced processor performance" you MIGHT get 5 hours, though I still think that's VERY optimistic.

Under NORMAL conditions, expect about 3 hours out of the 1Ghz under a fairly heavy load (2.5 ish w/ the processor at full speed) like DVD watching, about 3.5-4 hours just using Word or something like that.

I think in reduced processor mode the 1ghz and 867 both run @ 667Mhz, and a superdrive should (in theory) use the same amount of power as a Combo, other than the fact that a DVD takes MUCH longer to burn. I'd imagine they'd be about neck and neck... might get another 20-30 minutes out of the 867.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2003, 06:04 PM

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...85#post1491185

I can't believe this is still available. If I was in the market for a 15Ti, I would buy this one...
iWrite is very trustworthy so the sale would be worry free. Just bought a 17 ALbook off of videian28...also a stellar macnn member.

Underdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2003, 06:33 PM

I too am in the market for a 15" PBook, 17" is just too honkin' huge. How real and how close is the rumored 15.4" ALBook? I live in two cities and may need a workhorse of a laptop in the near future. Investing in AppleCare is a given. Any advice on any other necessary peripherals?

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2003, 08:22 AM

I have two 1Ghz models and one 867Mhz.

Seriously, the 867Mhz IS THE SAME IN EVERY WAY as the 1Ghz.

I turn the processor down to reduced and guess what?

Both the 1Ghz AND the 867Mhz run at 667Mhz! Yup, if you go into the Profiler you'll see that when the processor is reduced that you're running at 667Mhz.

If you don't turn down the processor the fan on the 1Ghz machines runs MUCH more...

Which drains battery power much faster.

As far as the 32mb vs. 64mb of VRAM, I can't see the difference, period, either on the machines' screens or when connected to an Apple LCD display. I don't know what difference the extra 32mb VRAM makes because I sure can't see it.

So, if you don't care about burning DVDs, get the Combo drive.

In truth, you're smarter to buy the Lucid external DVD-R/RW from MCETech.com because it burns much faster than the stock DVD-R. I'd say save money, buy the 867Mhz, and if you want to burn DVDs then use the money you saved and buy the Lucid DVD-R/RW.

Good luck.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2003, 09:39 AM

If anything, don't get applecare.. get a laptop insurance plan (there are such things), they cover much more, including theft, and are much better then applecare.. believe me.

If you drop the laptop or it gets stolen it gets fixed/replaced.. versus applecare.. it costs about $400-500 vs the $350 of applecare but I think it's worth it since when things can happen they usually do.
Aloha

MacKnewbie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2003, 10:40 AM

I've decided to get the 15" 1GHZ Powerbook with my student discount. I'm heading to the apple store to buy it this week. I'm also going to get the 10GB iPod because they have $200 off if you get it with the Powerbook. I've never really looked into the iPod's but since they have such a great offer than I think I'll pick it up. I know I want to get a mouse and possibly a keyboard as well. Any suggestions on that? Maybe a wireless mouse and or keyboard? By the way, this is going to be my first mac ever. I'm a little nervous but excited at the same time. I'm sure I'm going to love it. Just hope I can figure everything out on it. I bought Scot Kelly's Killer Tips for Mac OS X. My roommate who turned me onto macs has also suggested things like downloading safari and some os x patches and what not. Any suggestions on that as well?

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2003, 11:21 AM

I've decided to get the 15" 1GHZ Powerbook with my student discount. I'm heading to the apple store to buy it this week.
Your timing is good, Apple just dropped edu individual prices to the same level as edu institutions. The discount on the 1GHz Ti was $150 and now it's $300. So by waiting you saved $150!

If you're going to an Apple retail store make sure they have the current prices. They are posted on the edu online store.

The iPod bundle is a great deal; you can't beat an iPod for $69. Note that the $200 is in the form of a rebate, so make sure you have the paperwork to send in.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2003, 05:58 PM

Oh, by the way, when you spend that extra $$$ on the 1Ghz model and the new aluminum 15-inch system comes out you're going to regret it -- you'll want the aluminum system.

The more money into a system the more money you'll lose if you decide to dump it to get the new aluminum system.

Just a thought.

Forum Links
Forum Rules