Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How are you managing to run Diskwarrior on a G5?

How are you managing to run Diskwarrior on a G5?
simonmartin
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2005, 07:01 AM

Hi,

At the moment I have to start up my G5 in target mode and run DW on it from a G4.

This works fine but I'd like to be able to create a bootable CD.

BootCD creates a bootable disk just fine but DW never runs off it due to some missing files.

Has anyone been able to get past this?

Simon
Get a free email address at http://www.ippimail.com and support your favorite charity without it costing you a penny.Email for the good guys!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 19, 2005, 09:35 PM

Get the latest DW disc from Alsoft, it should boot the newest hardware.

tooki

simonmartin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2005, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Get the latest DW disc from Alsoft, it should boot the newest hardware.

tooki
tooki,

Sure, I'm just being a tightwad... :-)

So no-one has managed to get BootCD to do it?

Simon
Get a free email address at http://www.ippimail.com and support your favorite charity without it costing you a penny.Email for the good guys!

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 09:45 PM

Another alternative is to create a small emergency partition with OS X and DiskWarrior to boot from to check your main partition.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2005, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by simonmartin:
BootCD creates a bootable disk just fine but DW never runs off it due to some missing files.
What missing files? This is the first I've heard of this.

What's the exact error message you get?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

simonmartin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2005, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
What missing files? This is the first I've heard of this.

What's the exact error message you get?
Hi CharlesS

When I first Launch DW I get : 'The Diskwarrior Preview Disk icon could not be made available'

If I Ok this and run DW I eventually get: ' The system extension '/Applications/DiskWarior.app/contents/MacOs/DiskWarriorPreview.kext was installed inproperly and cannot be used.'

I have tried opening the BootCD diskimage and copying DW to the proper location before burning it but still get the same errors.

Make any sense to you?

Simon

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2005, 12:47 PM

That's actually a permissions error.

Did you copy DiskWarrior from the Applications folder on your hard disk, or from the CD it came on?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

simonmartin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2005, 12:59 PM

That's actually a permissions error.

Did you copy DiskWarrior from the Applications folder on your hard disk, or from the CD it came on?
CharlesS,

I both followed your instructions in BootCD and copied it from my HD on to the disk image.

Have a solution in mind?

Simon

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2005, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by simonmartin:
CharlesS,

I both followed your instructions in BootCD and copied it from my HD on to the disk image.

Have a solution in mind?

Simon
Have you run the app which is on your hard drive in between the time you installed it and the time you copied it onto the CD? When you drag DiskWarrior from the DW CD onto your hard drive, the Finder changes the owner from root to your user account. The first time you run DiskWarrior and enter your admin password, it does a self-repair on its permissions. So, if you run DiskWarrior, then add it to a boot CD, you should get something that works.

Alternatively, you can try mounting the .dmg that BootCD made, and launch the copy of DiskWarrior that is sitting on the disk image. This might be enough to set off its permission self-repair.

simonmartin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2005, 03:03 PM

Alternatively, you can try mounting the .dmg that BootCD made, and launch the copy of DiskWarrior that is sitting on the disk image. This might be enough to set off its permission self-repair.
CharlesS,

Well I can hardly believe it after all this time of trying but... that worked!

I can't believe I haven't run DW off my HD so it must have been running it of the disk image which did the trick.

Something is still not quite right as when I reboot I'm not allowed to eject the cd because it 'is in use'. The DW daemon is still running. Once I quit it the CD ejects. A small price...

Thanks Charles! I may even send you a little something

Simon

Forum Links
Forum Rules