Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger Finder Slideshow not working

Tiger Finder Slideshow not working
moodymonster
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 07:43 AM

It wasn't working, so I restarted - its working now. Just a bit thrown when it didn't work 'cause I use it alot and was wondering if anyone else has an intermittent slideshow and if this is not just a one off.

running 10.4.1

timmerk
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 07:52 AM

i had the same thing. i only noticed it in 10.4.1, maybe it's a bug in 10.4.1?

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 08:14 AM

I had this in 10.4, restart also did it for me then, works fine now in 10.4.1

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

moodymonster  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 09:22 AM

I'm not alone then - its more a bug in Tiger than my mac, thats OK, I can't afford to re-install stuff right now

cheers for putting me at ease

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2005, 12:52 PM

I still can't get over the fact that the more images you select for the Slideshow, the more time it takes for the contextual menu to appear. Two photos>right-click: almost instantaneous. 96 photos>right-click: the menu takes four seconds to pop-up. WTF.

Tried it in two different boxes, a Dual G4 and a brand new Dual G5 2.7. Same problem.

calumma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 01:00 PM

Same thing happened to me after upgrade to 10.4.1. Rather than restarting I just relaunched the Finder. Slideshow is working again now.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 05:28 PM

anyone else noticed it ill only do the first 99 images if you choose more than that? kinda pissed me off. that and that fact that they are out of order. these 2 things combined make the finder slideshow useless for vacation photos. because i always have more than 99 images and i want to see them in chronological order, or in order alphabetically by filename, same thing.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2005, 06:10 PM

Oh, I didn't realised the images were not played in order. Well, that SUCKS.
Do you get the big contextual menu delay as well when selecting all those items?

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2005, 12:29 AM

Is it a bug or is it a feature that images are played in random order? And I do not see anywhere a preference pane for Finder slideshows.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 04:59 AM

My slideshow plays them in the correct order, everytime...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2005, 11:39 AM

Maybe you have have your Finder window out of order... maybe you have your images sorted by size or date instead of name. Could that make a difference?

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 06:47 PM

hmmm, i have always had them sorted by name... but i tried it any way. i just clicked the "name" header twice to make it sort z-a then a-z. then tried the slideshow again on all 252 images... the index page started with the highest numbered image (# 271) then counted down to about 220 before it decided to go random on me.

So i tried about 80 images and it was even worse, only the first three were in order then the rest were random.

Am i the only one having this problem?

EDIT: I just noticed that if you open all the images in preview (all in one window with the drawer on the side) you can choose "view > slideshow" and get the same thing except its all in alphabetical order and it can handle more than 99 images at a time... and its slower, but at least it works.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; May 21, 2005 at 06:57 PM. Reason: adding comment)

Forum Links
Forum Rules