Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Unable to Eject Mac OS X DVD

Unable to Eject Mac OS X DVD
vimal12581
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2011, 07:18 AM

I need a help, I have formatted my Mac using "Erase and Install option".It have started the installation and erased my OS and unfortunately installation seems to be error.Now Im unable to Eject my OS DVD from my MAC where if i restart my MAC it once again starting it installation Automatically.

please help how could i Eject my DVD. I have tried using disk Utlity but it says "unable to Eject please close all the files from the drive." please some one help me how to eject DVD...

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2011, 07:39 AM

Boot computer. Hold Option+Command+o+f (for Open Firmware). It'll boot to a white screen with black text telling you to let go of the keys. Let go.

Now type "eject cd" and hit return. It'll either just give you a prompt back, or it may give you an error message.

At any rate, if that doesn't kick out the disk, the drive may well have a physical problem and you will have to take it into the shop to have the disk manually removed (and possibly to have the optical drive replaced).

Type "shut-down" to exit open firmware and shut down the computer. Restart normally.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2011, 08:54 AM

Press and hold down the mouse button when booting the Mac. That alone should eject any DVD.

Note that the DVD disk might be your current startup disk. Once the installation process gives you the option, go to the Apple menu > Utilities menu > System Preferences > System > Startup Disk; you might want or need to change the current disk chosen as startup disk.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2011, 06:24 PM

You can also hold the eject key, if present, on your keyboard when turning on the Mac.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
Boot computer. Hold Option+Command+o+f (for Open Firmware). It'll boot to a white screen with black text telling you to let go of the keys. Let go.

Now type "eject cd" and hit return. It'll either just give you a prompt back, or it may give you an error message.

At any rate, if that doesn't kick out the disk, the drive may well have a physical problem and you will have to take it into the shop to have the disk manually removed (and possibly to have the optical drive replaced).

Type "shut-down" to exit open firmware and shut down the computer. Restart normally.
This only applies to PowerPC Macs.
Vandelay Industries

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
This only applies to PowerPC Macs.
Thanks for the catch, Art; a good call. I should have known that. Shame of moi!
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Forum Links
Forum Rules