Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > AirPort Express

AirPort Express
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2004, 04:05 PM

Hmmm seems Apple is doing a lot more with WiFi lately. We all knew they loved it but it was a while between AirPort, and AirPort extreme and anything meaningful other than that.

I seriously think I'll be buying an AirPort Express base station. I think this is a great idea. Apple needs to make more products that work as a great addition to your current Mac set-up even if you already have stuff. With this someone with an AirPort Extreme base station might still want this for in their bed room with their stereo, while they have the Extreme one say downstairs or on the other side of the house or something.

This will be great for my dorm room, anyone have any idea how to make a Wireless router behave more like a hub or look more like it to a network?

Anyway this is an awesome solution and I'm glad Apple came up with it.

Edit: Also forgot, with all this stuff on the WiFi front, anyone think that Apple might make a Wireless iPod? Or at least WiFi base station for it. IE slide your iPod into the dock which is plugged into the wall, and it'll wirelessly sync with your AirPort enabled Mac/PC?

Or perhaps in the iPod itself just walk in range of it and bang. Though if they were gona do that they should probably throw in features like syncing your mail and stuff.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2004, 04:20 PM

wrong forum? shouldn't be a new thread here.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Hmmm seems Apple is doing a lot more with WiFi lately. We all knew they loved it but it was a while between AirPort, and AirPort extreme and anything meaningful other than that.
They have? Other then Airport Express what else have they done "lately"?

There is a thread about it here:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=215767

"Hello, what have we here?

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite

Yep, it's a wonderfull thing that AirPort Express. I'll probably order one (even if there is no iTunes for Europe ) for my appartment next year when I'm at university.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2004, 06:55 PM

tempting for uni next year... very tempting.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 07:50 PM

I could have used one of these things all year, now I don't have a use b/c I'm moving out. Great idea though. Would have saved me alot of trouble from hooking up my ibook downstairs and worrying about spilled drinks, etc. at parties. Also, I have the T610, so I could have changed party music easily with Salling Clicker. Damn.

Maybe it's time to get another degree...

edit: Wooo! 300 posts!

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 09:14 PM

Okay, I'm tired, but let me say what we're all thinking...

With the approval of a wireless Firewire standard, and Agere's postage stamp-sized wi-fi chip, can we be very far from streaming music from our iPods to our Airport Express-connected stereos...wirelessly?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
tempting for uni next year... very tempting.
I honestly can't think of a better environment for this device (naturally others will want it, but a dorm room would be king).

Walk in to your door room and be able to stream music to your computer, have wireless, and a print server to boot. Very cool. If you don't have a laptop, it's considerably less appealing.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2004, 10:38 PM

YES!!! I can't get a G5 but this is the next best thing for me playing my music to my stereo. And it's wireless.

I might be getting a 12" PBG4, this'll work out great.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2004, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Walk in to your door room and be able to stream music to your computer, have wireless, and a print server to boot. Very cool. If you don't have a laptop, it's considerably less appealing.
But make sure you have it configured properly, or you'll soon get lynched by the network admins when other users' machines start getting their IP addresses from the DHCP server in the base station instead of the uni's DHCP server.

Just a friendly word of warning (applies to any wireless router in a dorm setting, not just AirPort Express).

Unrelated question: Can this thing can extend the range of an ordinary wireless router like a Linksys, or does it only work with other Apple equipment?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2004, 11:18 PM

Question for anyone who knows about routers.

Someone last time I complained about my campus network not handling student routers well, said that there was something that I could do to fix this. Does Apple's AirPort assistant have the stuff I'd need to configure it or what? I'm pretty router and WiFi stupid, so if anyone can explain to me how I can fix this problem that'd be great because I really want to be able to use this in dorm for everything!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2004, 11:21 PM

Question for anyone who knows about routers.

Someone last time I complained about my campus network not handling student routers well, said that there was something that I could do to fix this. Does Apple's AirPort assistant have the stuff I'd need to configure it or what? I'm pretty router and WiFi stupid, so if anyone can explain to me how I can fix this problem that'd be great because I really want to be able to use this in dorm for everything!
I'm rather sure, but I would need to know exactly what the issue was.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2004, 11:25 PM

Something about it sending something all over. The network guys weren't specific. But the network had the servers in the school building, and it was connected wirelessly (not sure how) to the dorms and then it was wired through some pretty huge hubs. Early on almost every week the network went down, and we'd all get self assigned IP addresses. By second semester they got it having good up times for a while, but if anyone plugged in a router the network would die at least in that part of the dorm.

The network guys were never very forth coming in the info dept. But we all had to set our comps to work through the proxy. Hence MSN never worked for me. iChat worked if I set it to HTTPS

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2004, 11:30 PM

Something about it sending something all over.
If you set your router to distribute IP addresses via DHCP on a network that already has a DHCP server, you'll ruin everything.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2004, 11:37 PM

So essentially for my sister's router that I have hooked up here, it says for DHCP server enabled. I should set that to disabled if I were at school with it?

How do I obtain an IP from it then?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2004, 11:53 PM

Hmmm, I guess you could flood the network and the DHCP server being set horribly wrong could cause problems.

But by following the basics, you shouldn't have any issues.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2004, 12:31 AM

So essentially for my sister's router that I have hooked up here, it says for DHCP server enabled. I should set that to disabled if I were at school with it?

How do I obtain an IP from it then?
Set the DHCP to only accept requests from a specified list of MAC addresses, namely yours.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2004, 12:33 AM

Ohhh, that'd be cool

If I do that and plug my hub into the router, could I have the router use my PowerBook's MAC address and have the network think the traffic from my iMac was my PowerBook?

(saving money for roomie)

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2004, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Set the DHCP to only accept requests from a specified list of MAC addresses, namely yours.
9/10 times it's spelled out on the instructions.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2004, 12:43 AM

Hey now, lets be fair, I'm a fairly geeky guy. Routers are less than user friendly for their advanced features. Give me a good old hub any day... Why is it we don't have Wireless hubs?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2004, 12:56 AM

Hey now, lets be fair, I'm a fairly geeky guy. Routers are less than user friendly for their advanced features. Give me a good old hub any day... Why is it we don't have Wireless hubs?
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=608

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 01:01 AM

If you turn off DHCP it acts as a bridge, giving you an IP through the college network, right?
Aloha

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2004, 07:44 AM

Linksys routers have a web interface and are extremely easy to set up.

There is a reason hubs have gone out of fashion. Security is only one of many reasons.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Link:
If you turn off DHCP it acts as a bridge, giving you an IP through the college network, right?
Yep.

-matt

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2004, 10:30 AM

Turn the NAT off on any old AirPort and it's a wireless hub.

Forum Links
Forum Rules