Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tips for Tweaking the A/C for max performance

Tips for Tweaking the A/C for max performance
george68
Banned
Jun 8, 2004, 09:22 PM

Armed with my trusty friend Google, I've set out to figure out the ways I can maximize the cooling abilities of the 1970s crappy A/C in my apt. Right now I have 2 fans blowing on the thing, one pushing air into the intake, the other pulling air out of it. This has helped tremendously. I've also cleaned the filter..... but aside from that, I'm looking for new ideas. It's built into the wall so I can't just buy a new window unit..... have any ideas?

- Rob

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 09:51 PM

i dunno besides replacing the Freon.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 10:05 PM

Get a big stick and hit it
Aloha

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2004, 10:15 PM

What if you place a large block of ice in front of the intake?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2004, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
What if you place a large block of ice in front of the intake?
A puddle.

george68  (op)
Banned
Jun 8, 2004, 10:30 PM

I straightend all the cooling fins that are visible, to maximize efficiency. Any other tips?

- Rob

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2004, 10:34 PM

After cleaning out the filter you might check to make sure no dirt is lodged in the cooling fins. I removed the plastic covering the front (four screws holding it) and found pounds of dirt and dog hair that had snuck by the filter. After cleaning, performance improved noticably.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2004, 10:47 PM

Put a wing on it and a couple Type R stickers

I couldn't resist

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2004, 11:14 PM

You can get coil cleaner and spray it on the coil and rinse it off after a few minutes... Con-Coil is a professional brand...

Just because they look clean doesn't mean they are in between and where you can't see. you can start with warm water and rinse them and see how dirty the water is. if it is skank get some cleaner if not just rinse a few times and thats the best they will probably get.

is it freezing up? not blowing cold or have any other symptoms? you could get a check up fairly cheap but you'll have to either know they are reputable company or be ready to hand over money if you don't know shat about ac's, this is the money-grab time for repair men.

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2004, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by george68:
It's built into the wall so I can't just buy a new window unit..... have any ideas?
How so? you have to be able to get it out somehow, you might have to eventually, running fans and buying cleaners or freon will cost more in the long run then getting it done now with a new more efficient unit.

nate_02
Senior User
Jun 8, 2004, 11:18 PM

I need to find a way to get the AC in my 89 Buick working better (I'm surprised it still works). I think all I need is a freon recharge. I have a friend that can get me some, so I hope it helps.
-nate

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2004, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by nate_02:
I need to find a way to get the AC in my 89 Buick working better (I'm surprised it still works). I think all I need is a freon recharge. I have a friend that can get me some, so I hope it helps.
I would check for leaks first, otherwise waste of expensive freon, if your gonna be charged for r12 freon then a r134a conversion kit may be cheaper

(not to mention legal unless you are certified)

george68  (op)
Banned
Jun 9, 2004, 12:52 AM

BleuVixen: It's a 1988 Window unit built into the wall of my apartment. Thanks for the tips on the cleaning spray. It blows cold air, it's just not ENOUGH. I read somewhere that to calculate the BTUs, you take your sq footage, divide by 600, then multiply by 12,000, and that's how many BTUs you need. My apt is only 550 sq ft, so it said I'd need 11000 BTUs, but this POS is only 8800. Also, I'm not going to spend $ on something in this apt, I won't be able to take it with me..... well... maybe. We'll see how bad it gets.

- Rob

PS: If I could find a new one the right size AND figured out how it's attached I might consider installing a new one, since I'm going to be living here for another 15 months or so.

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2004, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by george68:
BleuVixen: It's a 1988 Window unit built into the wall of my apartment. Thanks for the tips on the cleaning spray. It blows cold air, it's just not ENOUGH. I read somewhere that to calculate the BTUs, you take your sq footage, divide by 600, then multiply by 12,000, and that's how many BTUs you need. My apt is only 550 sq ft, so it said I'd need 11000 BTUs, but this POS is only 8800. Also, I'm not going to spend $ on something in this apt, I won't be able to take it with me..... well... maybe. We'll see how bad it gets.

- Rob

PS: If I could find a new one the right size AND figured out how it's attached I might consider installing a new one, since I'm going to be living here for another 15 months or so.
oh, ok makes sense not to upgrade someone else's apartment! plus you might not need it in your new place and it will just sit.
I think the cleaning will help out hopefully enough to last thru the summer

Forum Links
Forum Rules