Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Preview in Panther

Preview in Panther
dunkie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2003, 08:27 PM

Can someone tell me about the new Preview.

It is supposed to read postscript files and convert them into PDF similar to Acrobat Distiller. Could some confirm by trying to read a postscript .ps file. How does it handle font conflicts, large files etc. Also, the print preview save as pdf is supposed to offer some image downsample capabilities, could someone comment on this or post a screen shot of the options.
( Last edited by dunkie; Jun 27, 2003 at 08:41 PM. )

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 09:14 PM

When I opened a PostScript file in Preview, it automatically converted it to PDF:

As for the saving as PDF...I don't see any options to compress it. It just saves it like before.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 02:05 AM

In before the lock!

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 03:44 AM

I can tell you that it rocks on speed.

Cipher13
Jun 28, 2003, 04:47 AM

Thank God for that... cause Jag Preview was one of the worst applications ever written.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
In before the lock!
why ?

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Jun 28, 2003, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Thank God for that... cause Jag Preview was one of the worst applications ever written.
It really is suprising that Preview for Jag can be so bad and Panther Preview so amazing.

My friend was having fun with TextEdit and importing Word documents with it and then converting it into PDFs via the the print options...then in Preview he would use the new search function (which is, btw, amazing) to search through the 50 page doc in an instant.

Being able to select text in the PDF is a godsend too.
( Last edited by Guy Incognito 2; Jun 28, 2003 at 11:12 AM. )

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2003, 10:06 AM

With the new Preview, there won't be any need for Adobe Reader anymore. The only reason I used it was if I had to search. Now, Apple's got it and it's even better. I hate Reader.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 11:09 AM

Preview is an application I use a LOT, so the speed increases in the new version (even on g3 systems) is nothing short of amazing.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

JLL
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 11:19 AM

Tell that to voodoo
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

bored
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2003, 09:45 AM

Does Preview now support PDF bookmarks?
(Apparently it supports links.)

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2003, 09:55 AM

I don't consider Preview to be on my top ten list, but I consider it a rather capable application. I'm not trying to say that it couldn't use improvement, but give the app a break. Apple doesn't flaunt it as an Adobe Acrobat killer...

I'm anxious to see what it will be like in Panther. All of the features will be an added bonus. .ps to pdf conversion will be nice (but only really used by designer types).

One less "How do I..." that can quickly be answered in OS X.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by bored:
Does Preview now support PDF bookmarks?
(Apparently it supports links.)
You mean the section headings and so on that Reader shows on the left ? Yes, it supports them perfectly. Thumbnails too.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 11:08 AM

What about printing? Does Preview print documents at a decent rate? When I print using Acrobat, it takes like 5 minutes a page, literally!

bored
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
You mean the section headings and so on that Reader shows on the left ? Yes, it supports them perfectly. Thumbnails too.
Thanks! In the meantime, I found an explicit snapshot of this and other features of Preview and the rest of Panther (some that I couldn't find elsewhere), that some of you might find interesting, at this blog:

http://www.atommic.com/mt/archives/000140.php

mineralomac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2003, 08:27 AM

I'm sure I saw a screenshot somewhere with a "crop" button on it. Can anyone confirm that the new preview in panther has the ability to crop pdf files?

If this is true it would make my day. I don't have acrobat, but often find myself wanting to trim excess space off pdf's.

Thanks,

Rich
What? There's an on-
switch on the printer?

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2003, 09:09 AM

Does the new Preview support annotations? if it can create and read them it would be great... they are the yellow post it notes scattered around the document- they are great for pointing out and fixing mistakes in documents

Cheers!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Apple doesn't flaunt it as an Adobe Acrobat killer...
Well, you're wrong It is designed to be an Adobe Acrobat killer. They won't include Acrobat anymore on OSX CD.

You should watch the keynote in QuickTime. He insulted Acrobat a lot

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Well, you're wrong It is designed to be an Adobe Acrobat killer. They won't include Acrobat anymore on OSX CD.

You should watch the keynote in QuickTime. He insulted Acrobat a lot
I think you're talking about Adobe Reader and mitchell is talking about the full Acrobat.
JLL

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2003, 10:13 AM

Apparently, you have not seen Puma Preview .

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2003, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by JLL:
I think you're talking about Adobe Reader and mitchell is talking about the full Acrobat.
Actually, I'm talking about Preview.app not being an Adobe Acrobat Reader killer in 10.2 (in reference to the comment Cipher13 made about Preview.app being the worst application)... Adam Betts has first hand knowledge of the Panther version of Preview.app. I would have to say that the new version of Preview may be in direct conflict with Acrobat Reader.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2003, 10:45 AM

Actually, I'm talking about Preview.app not being an Adobe Acrobat Reader killer in 10.2 (in reference to the comment Cipher13 made about Preview.app being the worst application)...
Sorry, it was just because you mentioned PS -> PDF conversion that I assumed you meant Acrobat.

Adam Betts has first hand knowledge of the Panther version of Preview.app.
So do 90% of the forum members

I would have to say that the new version of Preview may be in direct conflict with Acrobat Reader.
For viewing basic PDF files, yes.
JLL

tashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2003, 01:35 PM

Panther's preview is whack. Everytime i open a image or a pdf i see a grey window and nothing else, can only see the miniatures. When i go to password it say's docs are protected by pwd. what the heck? no problem opening with gc or adobe
It's better to rule in hell.

pliny
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 05:09 PM

my mother's waiter said the preview.app in panther is quite good and he changed the little open with thingie in get info to open all these documents type with preview.
i look in your general direction

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 05:36 PM

Has Preview got realtime resizing for all supported formats?

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by tashi:
Panther's preview is whack. Everytime i open a image or a pdf i see a grey window and nothing else, can only see the miniatures. When i go to password it say's docs are protected by pwd. what the heck? no problem opening with gc or adobe
Let' clarify- your pirated version of Panther, which contains Preview, isn't work properly.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 11:39 PM

I can't find an example... Does Panther's Preveiw support PDF forms? If so I'll kill Acrobat and force Preveiw on my mom. God Acrobat always kills my printer for some unknown reason.

tashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2003, 02:20 AM

Just found the problem, just deselecting all but english from the language menu it'l works fine, and geez, it's so fast with pdf )
It's better to rule in hell.

Zim
Senior User
Jul 4, 2003, 10:56 AM

Have they fixed the idiocy of opening multiple docuements?

ie.

With preview since ~10.2 (I've been using a saved copy from before)....

a) select 3 jpgs in Finder... dbl click... all open as if they are "pages" in a single document... no way (that I could find) to show 2 pics side by side for comparison (ie. reviewing vacation pics from digital camera)

b) select 1 jpg.. dbl click.. it opens... now back to Finder... select pic 2.. dbl-click.. it opens in its OWN separate window

Before the "improved" Preview, selecting a group of pics and opening, all had their own window... MUCH PREFERRED.

Not to mention that with the "improved" Preview, I could not find a way to "close" individual pics when they were group-opened, b/c they were treated like pages in a single document.. close none, or close all at the same time (which would make sense.. if it were a PDF).

I'd have been content if they simply made an preference option for working the old/new way.

So what's the poop on this new version?

Thanks,
Mike

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 11:47 AM

Idiocy? I would rather have 1 window with 50 thumbs sitting in the drawer then 50 seperate windows. If you want to compare 2 images then open the 2 separate. The drawer is a welcome feature that I doubt has changed in panther.

Zim
Senior User
Jul 4, 2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Idiocy? I would rather have 1 window with 50 thumbs sitting in the drawer then 50 seperate windows. If you want to compare 2 images then open the 2 separate. The drawer is a welcome feature that I doubt has changed in panther.
And I'm happy for you to have it that way... as an option

Debate which way is "better" all ya want... but IMO, the a) vs. b) that I outlined above is inconsistent.

Seems silly, but I can write a drop-script, or an applescript and have it do a "for each file... open" and get what I want. Seems rather !@#%@#%@ silly to have to do it that way.

Again with this "drawer" how does one compare 2 pics? How do you "close" one pic (if you are taking 10 pics and trying to find the best 2-3 to keep)?

Seems a lot less functional IMO.

Mike

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 05:18 PM

I often, if ever, rarely have a need to 'compare' 2 pics. Also, if I want to open multiple pics, then selecting them and having them all in the drawer is a better and simpler way to manage multiple pics. If you want to compare, then open them separately. As an illustrator (and web designer) I use photo references all the time. I need 5+ photos open and just pic which one I need to see is easier then sifting thru 5+ windows not to mention, the windows belonging to the 10 other apps I have running.

I can understand your wanting to open an image from the drawer the best solution would be contextual menus "open in new window" among others, copy, delete, move to trash, etc. But your wanting to close images in the drawer is a minor issue I think.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 4, 2003, 05:37 PM

I still like Adobe's Reader better than Preview, even in Panther. Adobe's just feels better, Preview is way too bare-bones for me.

tooki

Zim
Senior User
Jul 5, 2003, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
I can understand your wanting to open an image from the drawer the best solution would be contextual menus "open in new window" among others, copy, delete, move to trash, etc. But your wanting to close images in the drawer is a minor issue I think. [/B]
I had 340 pics from my NZ trip... the drawer is completely useless for something like that.

And when 90 of those were from one day, one general location, closing out the bad ones to whittle down to 10 (or so) good ones is critical. Not a minor issue at all (to me).

As I stated before. To me, the new Preview is useless and I do not use it. I used Pacifist to extract an older one and keep using that. It may be one of the top 10 apps I use, and I have never found a case where the drawer offers me ANY advantange.

Of course, if they'd just make the "open group" functionality a configurable option....

Mike

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2003, 08:27 AM

Does Preview in 10.3 support the mouse scroll wheel?
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Zim
Senior User
Jul 5, 2003, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by andretan:
Does Preview in 10.3 support the mouse scroll wheel?
LOL, unless they again "advance" by removing functionality , the scroll wheel on my mouse works in Preview 1.1 and 2.0.

Logitech cordless Mouseman.. no drivers other than stock 10.2.6.

Mike

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2003, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Zim:
LOL, unless they again "advance" by removing functionality , the scroll wheel on my mouse works in Preview 1.1 and 2.0.

Logitech cordless Mouseman.. no drivers other than stock 10.2.6.

Mike
Oops, my bad. Yeah, scroll works in Preview in Jaguar. Dunch know why I asked such a silly question :/
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

mineralomac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2003, 03:35 AM

Any word on being able to crop pdf files using panther preview?

Cheers

Rich
What? There's an on-
switch on the printer?

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by mineralomac:
Any word on being able to crop pdf files using panther preview?

Cheers

Rich
I think you can only crop normal images, no pdf files.

mineralomac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2003, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
I think you can only crop normal images, no pdf files.
That's a shame. The ability to crop pdf images would make my life so much easier. I mean, the built-in print to pdf is great, but it produces a whole page worth of image. Usually I need to crop the page before inserting into another program. It would be nice not to have to buy acrobat to get this functionality.

Cheers

Rich
What? There's an on-
switch on the printer?

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2003, 10:24 AM

I had 340 pics from my NZ trip... the drawer is completely useless for something like that.

And when 90 of those were from one day, one general location, closing out the bad ones to whittle down to 10 (or so) good ones is critical. Not a minor issue at all (to me).

As I stated before. To me, the new Preview is useless and I do not use it. I used Pacifist to extract an older one and keep using that. It may be one of the top 10 apps I use, and I have never found a case where the drawer offers me ANY advantange.

Of course, if they'd just make the "open group" functionality a configurable option....

Mike
iPhoto?
You see, my friends, pirates are the key. - thalo

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2003, 12:35 PM

sorry double post

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2003, 12:38 PM

That's exactly the situation in which i use Preview. I really like the way preview opens all pictures in one window.
But you're right, that behaviour should be optional.

Sorting pictures out is possible from within preview. Create a new folder and open it. Then just drag the little proxy icon in the titlebar of the picture you want to trash to that folder while holding the command key (just dragging will create an alias). For whatever reason this doesn't work with the trash.
If you're finished just trash the folder.

It's not perfect but it works well for me (in Jaguar).
I use it to sort out the ones i like to use for what ever i do with the pictures. Holding down the alt key will copy the picture to the new folder.

Forum Links
Forum Rules